PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question About 07 Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a dumb question. Nonetheless: Would the 07 team have been better off losing a game or two in the regular season? There wouldn't of been pressure of being undefeated.

Maybe, but let's be realistic about what we saw.

Give that team a healthy TE, healthy Brady, and healthy Neal, and they win that game. Have Samuel play a bit more heads up, and they win that game. Have the Officials make the right calls on the Giants final scoring drive, and they win that game.

Maybe, but let's be realistic about what we saw.

Give that team a healthy TE, healthy Brady, and healthy Neal, and they win that game.
Give them a better game plan and they win that game.

Give them a better game plan and they win that game.

This. Coaching played a role in losing that game. Without Malcolm Butler & Kyle Shanahan ( Playcalling) etc, that loss would still loom large over this organization.

Outside of the missed play by Samuel and the refs when every single member of the Giants' Oline was holding it came down to sheer arrogance by the coaching staff. They refused to adjust to the fact that their offensive line was getting embarrassed and kept trying to take shots down the field instead of shortening the passing routes and taking what was given. That Giants' secondary was near the bottom of the league. That team did not belong on the same field as the 2007 Pats. But it is what it is. Those two teams play a hundred more times the Pats win 100 of them. It was a crazy, fluke game. Can't change the past. And no. I don't think going 16-0 had anything to do with Samuel dropping a game sealing pick thrown straight to him by the "MVP". That's absurd.

This is a great question. I honestly don't think that it's ever been asked before on the history of this forum. It's certainly not something that the search feature could have produced.

And the answer to that question is "no".

Outside of the missed play by Samuel and the refs when every single member of the Giants' Oline was holding it came down to sheer arrogance by the coaching staff. They refused to adjust to the fact that their offensive line was getting embarrassed and kept trying to take shots down the field instead of shortening the passing routes and taking what was given. That Giants' secondary was near the bottom of the league. That team did not belong on the same field as the 2007 Pats. But it is what it is. Those two teams play a hundred more times the Pats win 100 of them. It was a crazy, fluke game. Can't change the past. And no. I don't think going 16-0 had anything to do with Samuel dropping a game sealing pick thrown straight to him by the "MVP". That's absurd.

Welker: 11 receptions, 103 yards

They took the routes that were given, the Giants were just dominating the LOS without sending extra rushers.

Losing a couple games would've really hurt their chances of having an undefeated season.

BINGO. IIRC shortly (next play?) after Neal left, pressure came in and the refs called that bogus intentional grounding for a safety on the pass when the DL hit his arm and the ball went 5 yes OVER a wr head. Rest of the game they were plugging holes in the OL. And the safety changed the whole dynamic of the scoring the rest of the way.

I am fairly certain [warning: conspiracy theory] the refs thought Pats were unstoppable too, and gave the gints the safety thinking that will keep it closer (=entertaining) and not dreaming that might be the difference.

If you know me, you know I like a good conspiracy theory. I don't think its too far-fetched.

If you know me, you know I like a good conspiracy theory. I don't think its too far-fetched.

Except the intentional grounding play came in the second Giants Super Bowl.

Players have since come out and mentioned it did weigh on them so it definitely had an effect. Even with that being said though, I know Tyree didn't make that catch BECAUSE the Pats were undefeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft