PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Super Bowl Thread- On to the Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to the play clock hitting 15 seconds, shutting off the headset communications to Goff...

...and THEN the Pats change up on D.

Regards,
Chris

I'm looking forward to the play clock hitting 15 seconds, shutting off the headset communications to Goff...

Regards,
Chris

Was thinking about this a little today. Given how significantly Goff relies on those signals, it might be more effective to switch at 10 seconds, let him get a formation/play from the sidelines, think he's all set, then switch again. There's a lot of room here to mess with him.

One more thing about that pats chiefs game. Tom Brady converts 3rd down passes into 1rst downs 38% of the time during the season. The fact that he was 3 for 3 converting on 3rd and long in OT is typical of the GOAT in the clutch. We're very fortunate.

FIFY.

How is their offensive line?

I thought the Patriots matched up better against the Saints, but I think BB and Flores can make Goff’s head get lost and put the pressure on him.

Im worried with their receiving corps, Cooks and Woods can do some damage.

Im worried with their receiving corps, Cooks and Woods can do some damage.

I think Gilmore could erase Woods. JCJ on Cooks with some help over the top would not surprise me. I honestly think that takes care of the passing game aside from how RBs are covered.

If the Pats can stop the run, I really like their D's chances to hold down the Rams O.

Regards,
Chris

Should we blitz goff a lot?

Gurley and Donald, I think that's Belichick's focus. They're their two best players. Make Goff throw, and keep Donald out of the backfield as much as possible. I don't love as a fan that there's two full weeks between Championship Sunday and Super Bowl Sunday, but this is perfect for BB & co. to prepare. 2 full weeks to study the living heck out of these guys. The one thing the Patriots do better than anyone is PREPARE. These guys will be watching hours and hours of film on the big Rams playmakers. Take this for what it's worth, but we've looked very very good the last two weeks. Peaking at the right time. LA had a strong game against Dallas, but I didn't think they looked that great against New Orleans. They made plays, but I don't think they looked anywhere near as good against the Saints as we did against Kansas City. New Orleans was basically a bad penalty away from winning, and the Patriots likely would have won by even more had the officiating not given KC some very favorable calls in the 4th quarter. I'm glad we had to beat two very difficult opponents to get here. The last couple years I thought there were some games we coasted through. We beat Houston with a substandard effort in the '16 Divisional round and had a good game against Pittsburgh, but neither game featured an opponent like this year's Chargers or Chiefs. Last year same thing, Titans were overmatched and we looked very "meh" against the Jaguars for significant stretches of that game. This year we played two very good football teams and asserted our will. We DOMINATED large stretches of both games, the first game especially. We're way more battle tested this year and that brings teams together :)

If we can find a way to deal with Rams running out of 11 personnel.

We were absolutely horrendous at stopping the run out of 11, and unfortunately no team ran more out of that personnel than the Rams did.
That is a bad omen.

Regards,
Chris
Goff can just run hurry up.

Given how significantly Goff relies on those signals, it might be more effective to switch at 10 seconds, let him get a formation/play from the sidelines, think he's all set, then switch again.
Goff is the dude who (seriously) didn’t know which direction the sun rose and set in. They should be able to come up with something that can add to the confusion.

If we can find a way to deal with Rams running out of 11 personnel.

We were absolutely horrendous at stopping the run out of 11, and unfortunately no team ran more out of that personnel than the Rams did.

I agree. That being said there is no one I trust more to pull out a rabbit and put together a gameplan that gives us enough margin to win with our offense than BB. Hell, the team shut down the Chiefs to 7 points through 3 quarters at Arrowhead and to below 35 yards in the entire first half.

Honestly I think that if the offense can stay on the playoff trajectory when it comes to third downs (68.2% compared to 35% in the regular season) and we don't lose out in turnovers it will be difficult for the Rams to keep up.

Last edited:
Good find. He looks fine to me. BB likes those fresh legs late in a game. Sony was getting stuffed pretty consistently in the 3rd quarter. I think it was just the fresh legs theory

(not a coach) And/or getting Burkhead some reps in before the Super Bowl.

Just realized that outside of Donald the Rams D-line is overrated in terms of putting pressure on the QB. While I realize that sacks aren’t everything, the Rams had only 41 sacks during the regular season (Donald accounting for nearly half of them). In the playoffs they’ve gotten only 3 sacks through 2 games.

Just realized that outside of Donald the Rams D-line is overrated in terms of putting pressure on the QB. While I realize that sacks aren’t everything, the Rams had only 41 sacks during the regular season (Donald accounting for nearly half of them). In the playoffs they’ve gotten only 3 sacks through 2 games.

The Cowboys (Elliot) and the Saints (Kamara) rushed for 47 and 86 respectively against the Rams D-Line. If we rush for less than 75 yards it will be tough to win. Suh is not a great pass rusher, but stout. Overall Donald commands a double team so it is a tough D-Line. This game will be a huge challenge in the trenches and the team that wins that battle will win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft