PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: If you were the Browns GM, would you trade #1 overall for Garopollo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade the first pick in the draft for JG, if you thought he was going to be great?

• Yes

Votes: 74 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 51.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree : they are the worst. They should use all their picks in 17-18 to get as much talent as possible & sprinkle roster w vets to groom that talent.

But, I am still hoping they spend for Jimmy. I just wouldn't if I was making the call.
I would be happy with #12 and #33 this year and next year's 1st. Unfortunately I don't think Cleveland does that trade.

1. I have seen a lot of responses that if you were the Browns GM, you would rather trade the #1 pick for a whole bunch of other picks. That's a good idea and probably the way they would like to proceed, considering their moneyball approach. The problem is, historically there have been few teams willing to trade up to the top spot unless it's a quarterback. I recall both the Texans (Clowney) and Chiefs (Fisher) trying to trade down and getting no takers. This just adds to the point that if you aren't drafting a quarterback with a top pick, it probably isn't as valuable as you'd like to believe, and other teams won't be suckers. Meanwhile, we have seen teams give up king's ransoms to move up to take their QB of choice.

That's the problem with the Browns thinking, as I see it. It's all about the context of the pick. It's the same thing in the NBA, where some years you have franchise changers at #1 and other years you don't. And you'll find teams aren't willing to trade much for the top spot when there is no one that is an obvious superstar. In the NFL, the only position that can change a team's fortunes is QB.

2. I think it's fair to say that the Browns believe Garopollo may be a great quarterback, or more accurately, that his is a "great prospect" considering their public push to get him, which includes at least one other first round pick. Also, Garopollo has a lot more NFL snaps than any player coming out of college. Point being, all players carry bust potential and some degree of uncertainty, even free agents. All signs indicate the Browns think Garopollo is the best QB prospect available, and I doubt they would be making a push for him if they thought he had an Alex Smith ceiling.

Meh, just keep playing the game. Some teams probably think the Pats are going to fold and take less. This will change as the draft gets closer and teams realize they are serious about their demands.

Either way, I'm fine with keeping JG on for another season, give whats due or suck for much less than Luck.

Hell no, if you trade the first overall pick for a guy who's played 2 games and has 1 year of his rookie deal left you should be fired.

Take away him being a Patriot and Patriots bias and that's a laughably bad idea, backup QBs who flash and then get huge deals almost always turn out to be a bad idea.

You take the best player on the board and take a flyer on a QB with your 2nd first round pick or at 33, there's no more of a guarantee Garoppolo is even good, much like a rookie QB draft pick.

Garoppolo is going to end up leaving in 12 months for a 2nd round pick at best since all leverage will be lost due to the contract situation even if franchised and all those idiots out there like Mazz that were claiming how they'd turn down multiple 1st round picks for him are going to end up looking stupid and having to backtrack.

To above, how many times have the Browns tried using 1st rounders to fill the need at qb? 2nd, 3rd rounders?

The only reason this hasn't been offered because of who is going to be the #1 pick. They want to keep it? Ok, but i would hope it then costs them 12+33+next years first.

If you think Jimmy G will be elite, you have to do it.

This is a QBs league. Houston would trade a healthy JJ Watt for Matt Ryan, Denver would trade Von Miller for Russel Wilson, etc...

I personally believe that Jimmy G will be a top 10 QB in the NFL, which makes him more valuable than a Myles Garrett, Von Miller, JJ Watt and Khalil Mack.

Hell no, if you trade the first overall pick for a guy who's played 2 games and has 1 year of his rookie deal left you should be fired.

Take away him being a Patriot and Patriots bias and that's a laughably bad idea, backup QBs who flash and then get huge deals almost always turn out to be a bad idea.

You take the best player on the board and take a flyer on a QB with your 2nd first round pick or at 33, there's no more of a guarantee Garoppolo is even good, much like a rookie QB draft pick.

Garoppolo is going to end up leaving in 12 months for a 2nd round pick at best since all leverage will be lost due to the contract situation even if franchised and all those idiots out there like Mazz that were claiming how they'd turn down multiple 1st round picks for him are going to end up looking stupid and having to backtrack.

This is what confuses me - which appears to be exactly the same as the Browns thinking. You are fine with giving up a first round pick at #12, but there's no way you would give up #1. Why can't you flip it and say, take Garopollo in a trade for the first pick and then take a flyer on the next best defensive end at #12? In either situation, you are choosing to take a better prospect at one position for a lesser prospect at another position. Wouldn't you rather have your preferred quarterback than your preferred defensive end?

And the idea that "hell no" because Garopollo has played 2 games and has 1 year left on his rookie deal...I don't get it...you also said you would trade the #12 overall pick for him, and so have the Browns. So he is a valuable quarterback who is such a great prospect he is worth a high first round pick, but trading 11 slots above that and the GM should be fired? As someone else alluded to before, I think public relations and a fear of failure is dictating this reluctance more than logic because the deal's upside far exceeds any other deal that may come along for the Browns for a long, long time.

I think what the Patriots are asking for is perfectly fair. Garopollo is the best available quarterback and has the highest ceiling of any attainable quarterback prospect right now, and the Browns clearly think he is their long-term answer. Sometimes many years go by where a team cannot find itself in the fortunate situation of having the draft capital to get what they view as a potentially elite quarterback, and there are no other big bidders right now. Quarterback is just a different position altogether, and its value can be the difference between 6-8 wins per season. Any other position, I'm not even sure if a team wins two more games with an elite player. We keep coming back to JJ Watt as a great example. Does anyone believe the Texans make it any further, or even have a better record last year, if Watt were healthy? Arguably not...maybe one game better...definitely not close to contending against the Patriots. That is Miles Garrett's ceiling right there.

If I were the browns I'd do it in a heartbeat

If I were the pats I would ask for more

Also, I think the Patriots do want more. I think they want the #1 and another conditional early round pick, should the Browns extend/franchise Garopollo, in which case they have their QB of the future. That is just the sense I'm getting from various articles coming out of Cleveland, but Cleveland's refusal to even consider their #1 this year has made it a non-starter.

If I thought that Jimmy G was the best prospect available of either rookie or veteran QBs, AND I believed that he showed all the skills to be a top-10 QB in the league, I'd do it, absolutely.

By the way, they have a lot more tape on him than 2 games - they have three preseasons against pro-competition, too.

5 years of Myles Garrett will get you nothing if you don't have a QB. Lots of teams have quality pass-rushers, but most of those guys will never sniff a Lombardi.

Cleveland has a TON of money, many drafted (low-round) solid prospects, and a bunch of picks.

Maybe Garrett will be the next Clowney. So? That will do them no good if they don't have a QB that can find ways to win.

So it all depends on their evaluation of JG. Do they think he has a higher ceiling than, say, Kirk Cousins? Is he a better leader? Are there any warning signs?

If he passes that test, yep, I trade that pick.

If I thought that Jimmy G was the best prospect available of either rookie or veteran QBs, AND I believed that he showed all the skills to be a top-10 QB in the league, I'd do it, absolutely.

By the way, they have a lot more tape on him than 2 games - they have three preseasons against pro-competition, too.

5 years of Myles Garrett will get you nothing if you don't have a QB. Lots of teams have quality pass-rushers, but most of those guys will never sniff a Lombardi.

Cleveland has a TON of money, many drafted (low-round) solid prospects, and a bunch of picks.

Maybe Garrett will be the next Clowney. So? That will do them no good if they don't have a QB that can find ways to win.

So it all depends on their evaluation of JG. Do they think he has a higher ceiling than, say, Kirk Cousins? Is he a better leader? Are there any warning signs?

If he passes that test, yep, I trade that pick.

I think this is spot on. I think it's fair to speculate that Cleveland feels very good about Garopollo, and that they wouldn't be offering multiple high round picks if they didn't. But they seem to be overvaluing the first pick in the draft; they are overvaluing it because it is not a quarterback. If they thought any of the QB prospects had potential to be a real game changer in this league, they would be picking that guy #1 overall and would not be looking to trade for Garopollo.

In my opinion, it's time to rewrite the "Draft Value" chart that some teams still use. To me, there are two types of #1 overall picks; those are used for a highly rated quarterback and those that aren't. If you were Cleveland, would you theoretically trade the #1 pick this year for the #10 pick next year, if next year contained the QB draft class of 1983 or 2004? If your answer is no, you are choosing conventional wisdom with negative results over a practical, counterintuitive move that would give positive results.

This is what confuses me - which appears to be exactly the same as the Browns thinking. You are fine with giving up a first round pick at #12, but there's no way you would give up #1. Why can't you flip it and say, take Garopollo in a trade for the first pick and then take a flyer on the next best defensive end at #12? In either situation, you are choosing to take a better prospect at one position for a lesser prospect at another position. Wouldn't you rather have your preferred quarterback than your preferred defensive end?

And the idea that "hell no" because Garopollo has played 2 games and has 1 year left on his rookie deal...I don't get it...you also said you would trade the #12 overall pick for him, and so have the Browns. So he is a valuable quarterback who is such a great prospect he is worth a high first round pick, but trading 11 slots above that and the GM should be fired? As someone else alluded to before, I think public relations and a fear of failure is dictating this reluctance more than logic because the deal's upside far exceeds any other deal that may come along for the Browns for a long, long time.

I think what the Patriots are asking for is perfectly fair. Garopollo is the best available quarterback and has the highest ceiling of any attainable quarterback prospect right now, and the Browns clearly think he is their long-term answer. Sometimes many years go by where a team cannot find itself in the fortunate situation of having the draft capital to get what they view as a potentially elite quarterback, and there are no other big bidders right now. Quarterback is just a different position altogether, and its value can be the difference between 6-8 wins per season. Any other position, I'm not even sure if a team wins two more games with an elite player. We keep coming back to JJ Watt as a great example. Does anyone believe the Texans make it any further, or even have a better record last year, if Watt were healthy? Arguably not...maybe one game better...definitely not close to contending against the Patriots. That is Miles Garrett's ceiling right there.
I get that Jimmy G is the best attainable QB prospect right now for 2017, but it seems completely unfair to say he has the highest ceiling.
There is a very realistic chance that some QB drafted in 2017 may end up being better than Jimmy (not in 2017) but will have a higher ceiling.
I think Jimmy is a good QB, but the brakes could probably use a tad bit of pumping on the hype train.

Agreed, it's a QB league. If the Browns think that Jimmy G is top 10 they have to do whatever it takes.

Look at us, we won the SB without Gronkowski this year. Gronk may be the most dominant football player (non-QB) in this generation. You have Gronk playing and no Brady and we do not win the SB.

I get that Jimmy G is the best attainable QB prospect right now for 2017, but it seems completely unfair to say he has the highest ceiling.
There is a very realistic chance that some QB drafted in 2017 may end up being better than Jimmy (not in 2017) but will have a higher ceiling.
I think Jimmy is a good QB, but the brakes could probably use a tad bit of pumping on the hype train.

You may be right that some college QB might have a higher ceiling, but I'd be surprised. Typically guys with high ceilings will be the top pick in the draft or very close to that. I realize Garopollo only played six quarters last season before getting injured, but it's impossible to ignore his talent level in his time on the field in meaningful games...and that is six more quarters than any one of the guys coming out of school. 113.3 passer rating and clearly understood advanced defensive concepts and progressions. Had great accuracy.

For the record, I think if the Browns trade for him, they will probably ruin him anyway, which would be a shame.

I really don't know the answer to this question. I'd have to be sure that he was a guy who can lead the team to a winning record and playoff appearances. Jimmy could be more impactful than the best DE in the draft, but that doesn't mean he will be...if he was the next Andy Dalton, I'd probably do it....good enough.

I'd have to be sure that he was a guy who can lead the team to a winning record and playoff appearances.

That's the catch-22 in the NFL. Guys who have proven they can do this are impossible to get because their teams don't let them hit the open market or trade them. And if one of them does hit free agency, he sure ain't coming to Cleveland :)

This last page of comments only confirms that JG is going to be traded. It makes just too much sense for them not to. Ice is correct in his analysis of the first pick, but it's not about logic when it comes to the first pick. The cognicenti have already annointed Garrett as the #1. Cleveland almost HAS to pick him. Besides without a premier QB this isn't anyone in the top 5 picks likely to want to move up in a trade for an appropriate value.

Beisdes I think BB would be happy with the 12th pick as long as it came in a package. I truly believe that BB would rather have the #12 and #52, plus a conditional 4th-1st round pick next draft, than have the #1 this year. At 12 BB could get a foundational defensive player who might not be as good as Garnett, but close. At 52 he could get a solid starting prospect as well as another next season.

I have thought about this long and hard and the ONLY reason to keep JG on the roster this season, would be if you knew for certain Brady isn't playing for the Patriots past 2017. Other than that scenario the team just wasted a valuable asset for nothing.

This last page of comments only confirms that JG is going to be traded. It makes just too much sense for them not to. Ice is correct in his analysis of the first pick, but it's not about logic when it comes to the first pick. The cognicenti have already annointed Garrett as the #1. Cleveland almost HAS to pick him. Besides without a premier QB this isn't anyone in the top 5 picks likely to want to move up in a trade for an appropriate value.

Beisdes I think BB would be happy with the 12th pick as long as it came in a package. I truly believe that BB would rather have the #12 and #52, plus a conditional 4th-1st round pick next draft, than have the #1 this year. At 12 BB could get a foundational defensive player who might not be as good as Garnett, but close. At 52 he could get a solid starting prospect as well as another next season.

I have thought about this long and hard and the ONLY reason to keep JG on the roster this season, would be if you knew for certain Brady isn't playing for the Patriots past 2017. Other than that scenario the team just wasted a valuable asset for nothing.

I'd agree, except taht the biggest piece missing form the Pats D might well be an elite edge rusher. Garrett is possibly/likely that guy. So maybe BB doesn't want to trade Jimmy G but the temptation to get a Garrett would prove too strong.

Brady will play this year and next. Jimmy will be framchised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back