PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phillip Rivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few QB can be called elite if he never even made it to the SuperBowl. Atleast Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton, McNabb etc all made it to the Superbowl. I can only think of Moon and Fouts that I'd consider elite without making it to the Superbowl and Rivers is not as good as those two. Rivers is more in the Tony Romo / Matt Stafford category. Great players but not in top 5 at any time.

Last edited:
chargers-ladainian-tomlinson-center-and-philip-rivers-yell-at-ellis-picture-id564068975

Which one? or 2?
I guess I don't see time as you do.

If Rivers was here, our past wouldn't be replicated, so I can't "give" Brady's victories to Rivers, cause they don't exist.

So, to formulate my train of thought: if we had all the same pieces, but with Rivers in place of Brady, we would still be one of the best teams this year, we would still have been a dominant team for more than a decade (he entered the league in 2004). And, in one of those years, I believe that Rivers would win a Super Bowl (or 2), helped by BB and all the players that were here, because he's a good QB.

I don't think the Patriots would've won 5 Super Bowl and been to 7, though. And we might have gone through some years without the AFC east crown

I guess I don't see time as you do.

If Rivers was here, our past wouldn't be replicated, so I can't "give" Brady's victories to Rivers, cause they don't exist.

So, to formulate my train of thought: if we had all the same pieces, but with Rivers in place of Brady, we would still be one of the best teams this year, we would still have been a dominant team for more than a decade (he entered the league in 2004). And, in one of those years, I believe that Rivers would win a Super Bowl (or 2), helped by BB and all the players that were here, because he's a good QB.

I don't think the Patriots would've won 5 Super Bowl and been to 7, though. And we might have gone through some years without the AFC east crown
Yeah we see it differently.
I don’t see is being better in any non championship years with rivers instead of Brady and I don’t see is winning in 14 or 16 with rivers.

Maybe it’s just me and I think it’s silly to dismiss the guy who won them by saying someone else who never has could have.
I guess these fantasy world conversations probably aren’t for me because I keep coming back to winning being an accomplishment not a bestowment.

I think of Rivers as a better version of Flacco not a lesser version of Brady. That's who he's more similar to stylistically. When Rivers has had bigger receivers to throw jump balls to or hit long in-routes to he's been effective. He likes his TE as much as Flacco for his underneath stuff. I think a better question would be would the Ravens have won more with a better version of Jump Ball Joey. If somehow the Ratbirds had gotten him in 2004 their history might be different.

If the Patriots had drafted Phillip Rivers, he would have won 2-3 Superbowls here.

I think his quick release and style would have meshed with Pat's system.
Phil has all the physical talent and none of the mental talent to win Superbowls.

If the Patriots had drafted Phillip Rivers, he would have won 2-3 Superbowls here.

2-3 super bowls would be under-performing for this team.

IDK - Rivers is good for one or two boneheaded moves per game by my estimates, and he passed his prime about 10 years ago. I say all this with a "no jinx, no jinx, no jinx" fingers crossed thing going on.

I used to think that Rivers was a top 5 QB but the last few years there has clearly been something missing. He seems to play just well enough to "barely lose". I felt like I watched the Chargers driving to win it and even making it to first and goal yet coming up on the short end at least a half dozen times. They have been great at coming back - just not all the way. We've seen Brady finish the deal so many times (Texans as the latest example) when it appeared all hope was lost. Cannot really recall seeing Rivers do that much.

That being said, I have him ranked 2nd in his draft class behind Big Ben and ahead of Manning. His career numbers are excellent (QB rating of nearly 95) and he has had some minor playoff success (2007 team played the Pats tough) and his 2009 team was the best in the league and he would have likely been a SB participant if not for Brown's heroics on the Brady pick. A little more fortune early in his career and the narrative is much different.

Eli supporters base 90% of his argument on his 2 playoff runs. There is no question that he was exceptional in 2011 - was also solid in 2007 and unfortunately came up huge in the 4th quarter. I am not willing to disregard his entire regular season career (where he is typically somewhere around 15th ranked in QB rating) and an interception/fumble machine. His win loss record is not very impressive even in the SB years (needed considerable luck just to make the playoffs in 2011 with a 9-7 record).

Big Ben has been considerably better than both.

I thought he would be much better this year. So far he's mediocre.

Goodness.....

Good QB but that ain't happening

I hate this crap people spit out about winning here without Brady.

Rivers sucks balls.

These threads always reveal the depths of delusion that Patriots fans toil under having been fortunate to watch the greatest quarterback of all-time play for 15 years. Yes, Philip Rivers is a great quarterback. No, Super Bowl rings are not the arbiter of greatness. You would think the only good quarterback in NFL history was Tom Brady from some of these replies.

To the contrary, the Chargers likely would have won a couple if they kept Brees.

I don’t know what teams would’ve won SBs with different players, but Philip Rivers has had a fine career. Aside from ‘06 and ‘07, has he ever really had a complete team around him? Or good coaching?

I used to think he was a ****y douche, but apparently, he’s a pretty good guy, just a fiery competitor. I guess he lives a pretty clean lifestyle, is a family man, religious, etc. He’s nowhere near my radar for NFL players that I dislike.

He may have but that’s a fairly irrelevant point to make because he may not have won even 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes