PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I thought it was BB who was cheap since he made all of the football decisions
So, you think that we should have tagged Dugger for $17M? He would have signed before the ink was dry and waited for next season's free agency or for an extension from a $17M first year.

So, you think that we should have tagged Dugger for $17M? He would have signed before the ink was dry and waited for next season's free agency or for an extension from a $17M first year.
I think we shouldn't have used the transition tag. If you couldn't reach a deal (as per the Patriots' norm), then let him go out.

Nope, just think it's interesting that with all the changes (BB gone, new GM, coach) they still can't sign their own FAs. Seems some things just don't change. Only thing that hasn't changed is the owner. Maybe BB wasn't the main problem. Just thinking.....

McKinney hitting the market.

He'll be gone before the Pats can settle the Dugger issue, I expect.

EDIT: This, by the way, is the other reason I hate this move. They are now out on guys like McKinney...
why?

If the patriots want McKinney instead, they can simply sign him and withdraw Duggar's tag.

Th patriots signed a top rated safety to a one year contract for $13.8M.

I'm fine with the contract.
====================
This would NOT stop me from signing another safety to a long-term deal. After all, we have THREE free agent safeties: Dugger. Phillips and Mills.

If DUGGER wants to be here and have us stop looking for safeties, then he can negotiate a long-term offer with the team.

I think we shouldn't have used the transition tag. If you couldn't reach a deal (as per the Patriots' norm), then let him go out.
So don't use all the tools available to keep a player? You said in the post they could not make a deal so why would you not use what you can?

That was my thought.

Franchise tagged player often play on the tag but with the transitional tag the only way I see for the player to play on the tag is if no one offers him a contract. Right?
It works much the same way. It's fully guaranteed when signed but only for one year. They have until July to sign a LTD.

Save your condescension.

This wasn't a promising move for team tying to change their reputation. You think Dugger is happy about this?
If he's looking to move, it's not nearly as bad as the franchise tag.

It works much the same way. It's fully guaranteed when signed but only for one year.
The big difference is the signing team needs to give 2 first rounders to sign which keep teams from doing it usually. With the transition tag there is no draft picks so teams are more likely to try

The big difference is the signing team needs to give 2 first rounders to sign which keep teams from doing it usually. With the transition tag there is no draft picks so teams are more likely to try
True. I meant in terms of the mechanic of playing on the tag.

Dugger: I worth way more than the $14 AAV that you are offering.

Team: OK, we'll transition you at $18.M and we will all see what you are worth on the open market.

With the transition tag there is no draft picks so teams are more likely to try

Except the Pats have lots of cap space, so the usual ploy of offering a front-loaded contract wouldn't work. Very unlikely that any team goes through the bother of negotiating a contract only for the Pats to match.

Seems like a smart move to me. He either negotiates a long-term contract or he plays here for a year as the 9th-highest paid safety in the League.

And how excited was everyone back in 2020 when we heard "and with the 37th Pick in NFL Draft the New England Patriots select Kyle Dugger from Lenoir-Rhyne University? I had to look it up - Lenoir-Rhyne University is located in Hickory, North Carolina.

Hell, I've lived in NC for 16 years and had never heard of the school until they drafted Dugger. LOL

I know if he’s signed, sealed, and delivered I will be very pleased because I still believe we need a solid OT *much* more than a safety. And I’ll bet Messrs Maye & Daniels agree with me!

What are you basing that on?
They didn't tag him. Which means it usually (statistically speaking) means he's going elsewhere, or, the team is in negotiations with him (if they offer a deal he likes, he'll stay). What part of "stranger things have happened" did you not understand? That's conceding that he might stay.

I didn't necessarily see Dugger as a priority resigning. Nice player but from my perspective he's a better than average in the box safety. I recall numerous examples of him not being in a position to break up pass plays in the red zone. Maybe it was a bad play call by the defense. He certainly has made some good plays in zone coverage.

My question on the transition tag is doesn't it give the opportunity for teams to offer a contract that would have a poison pill from the Patriots perspective? Do the Patriots have to offer the same exact contract terms in order to execute the right of refusal? And under what terms would the one yr 13 million option kick in? Would that be if no other team offers a contract?

I didn't necessarily see Dugger as a priority resigning. Nice player but from my perspective he's a better than average in the box safety. I recall numerous examples of him not being in a position to break up pass plays in the red zone. Maybe it was a bad play call by the defense. He certainly has made some good plays in zone coverage.

My question on the transition tag is doesn't it give the opportunity for teams to offer a contract that would have a poison pill from the Patriots perspective? Do the Patriots have to offer the same exact contract terms in order to execute the right of refusal? And under what terms would the one yr 13 million option kick in? Would that be if no other team offers a contract?
Yes, they have to offer the same exact contract terms to execute right of first refusal. Obvious poison pills (like “player will receive $100m bonus if plays 3 games in New England”) are barred by the current CBA due to that type of abuse happening 20 years ago. What tends to happen instead would be to structure the contract in a way that the original team can’t handle. Typically it would involve front loading the contract, so the original team would not be able to fit him into the cap without cutting a number of guys. Given the Pats salary cap situation, that’s not an issue here.

The one year, 13.8m contract kicks in the moment Dugger signs the tender, although for salary cap purposes it’s effective today. And he’d sign the tender if no one makes him an offer that he likes.

Nope, just think it's interesting that with all the changes (BB gone, new GM, coach) they still can't sign their own FAs. Seems some things just don't change. Only thing that hasn't changed is the owner. Maybe BB wasn't the main problem. Just thinking.....
No one has signed their own FA to a contract yet except for Tampa Bay. A lot of players have been tagged.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back