PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Official Unofficial 53-Man Roster: Pre-Season Edition

I think there may well be a lot of surprises.

I disagree with dismissing Malcolm Butler as an example of UDFA success because of SB52.
On the contrary I said he was a good UDFA. Reread my original note. It ended VERY poorly for Malcolm in New England. Either he personally did something so egregious or detrimental to the team leading up to the Super Bowl that he got himself benched. Or Belichick benched him for some lesser offense. Either way the end result was minus Malcolm equaled SB loss.

I disagree with dismissing Jonathan Jones contributions to multiple Super Bowls, just because he's not as good as JC Jackson.
Multiple Super Bowls? You including 2014 in there? His defensive snap percentages in 2014 were 6% in the regular season and 0% in the postseason. Otherwise my point is he's no J.C. Jackson. Unless you have him playing all-pro DB?

I disagree that Adam Butler shouldn't count, as this was never about counting UDFA pro bowlers, just about people who made contributions to more than ST (which Butler did)
Do you know how many UDFA defensive linemen there are in the NFL?

I disagree that Meyers is a bottom of the depth chart WR when he's led the team in reception the last two years and has increased his numbers every year in the league.
Right, and those two seasons he was 49th and 33rd in receiving yards. He also has 2 career TD receptions. I don't dislike Meyers, I just have him behind Parker and Bourne. He slots in third I suppose but Agholor should be outperforming him too. Meyers doesn't make a handful of NFL rosters at least.

I disagree with dismissing Jacob Johnson as a solid FB just because the team only had mild success rather than historic success.
and I disagree that Gunner ONLY being a pro bowl return man suddenly means he's not an UDFA success.
FBs generally don't get drafted so it's no rarity to have an UDFA FB on your roster. Other than the position is altogether useless in some systems.

Gunner isn't as irrelevant as Jakob but it's true that he flunked out as a WR.

My third and final 53 man projection...

OFFENSE
(24)
QB (2) – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Hoyer (PS)
LT (1) – Trent Brown, Justin Herron (PS)
LG (2) – Cole Strange, Arlington Hambright
C (2) – David Andrews, Kody Russey
RG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Drew Desjarlais
RT (1) – Yodny Cajuste, Isaiah Wynn (Trade)
TE (3) – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi,
RB (3) – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Kevin Harris,
HB (2) – JJ Taylor, Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery (IR)
BIG WR (2) – DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne,
FAST WR (2) – Nelson Agholor, Tre Nixon, Tyquan Thornton (IR),
SLOT WR (2) – Jakobi Meyers, Kristian Wilkerson,

DEFENSE
(24)
DT (4) – Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis,
DE (2) – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts,
SLB (2) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings,
MLB (2) – Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche
WLB (2) – Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson, Cameron McGrone (PS),
SS (5) – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, Brenden Schooler, Cody Davis,
FS (1) – Devin McCourty, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS)
BIG CB (3) – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Shaun Wade, Devin Hafford (PS)
SLOT CB (3) – Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Jack Jones

SPECIAL TEAMS
(5)
K (1) – Nick Folk,
P (1) – Jake Bailey,
LS (1) – Joe Cardona
GUN (2) – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel
Based upon BB’s comments about the safeties today, it’s pretty clear that Bledsoe isn’t making the 53, as you are predicting. He mentioned the top 5 guys, including Bryant, and initially seemed to forget Bledsoe before throwing in “and Bledsoe has had a good camp as well.” He has some potential so I hope that they are able to slip him on the PS but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ziegler snaps him up on waivers.

I like this one.

I think we might see more young guys than any of the sports reporters expect. It is Monday night and no-one is cut yet. That leaves a lot of guys to get cut tomorrow - must be some long meetings going on which points to there being some surprises coming.

I think we might see more young guys than any of the sports reporters expect. It is Monday night and no-one is cut yet. That leaves a lot of guys to get cut tomorrow - must be some long meetings going on which points to there being some surprises coming.
Bill likes waiting as long as possible to announce cuts feels it gives him a advantage to see what other teams are doing with their roster ahead of him.
Plus if someone he is hoping gets released comes free then maybe that changes his roster board.

I really prefer Wade, Roberts, Mcgrone on the 53.
Toss up on Wade but he offers upside. Roberts didn’t flash in game 3 that I noticed but who knows about practice? I think he’s a PS guy. McGrone doesn’t look like an NFL player. Also a PS candidate for me.

Last edited:
Toss up on Wade but he offers upside. Roberts didn’t flash in game 3 that I noticed but who knows about practice? I think he’s a PS guy. McGrone doesn’t look like an NFL player. Also a PS candidate for mr.
I think Mcgrone needs more reps.

The amount of UDFA’s in contention for a job on the Patriots is an indictment of this roster?

A third of the NFL is made up of UDFA’s… just a silly take.

Correct. I have also read that UDFA players are the 3rd most likely group to comprise NFL starters AND All-Pro players, behind only rounds 1 and 2 draftees.

Multiple Super Bowls? You including 2014 in there? His defensive snap percentages in 2014 were 6% in the regular season and 0% in the postseason. Otherwise my point is he's no J.C. Jackson. Unless you have him playing all-pro DB?

It’s going to be so sweet when Jack Jones is already outplaying JC Jackson in 2023.

It’s going to be so sweet when Jack Jones is already outplaying JC Jackson in 2023.

I really like what little I saw of jack jones in the preseason. He has a nose for the ball and seems to read routes well. Playmakers are always wanted with this team, and if things go right, he may be the next one!

He is not the biggest corner and may have trouble holding up physically for 17 games, but hopefully next year he is around 190 pounds and ready to make us say….Jackson who?

Drafting him in the 4th round was stupid. What are we going to do with this guy? You keep 3 quarterbacks and Zappe will be inactive for 17 weeks. Backup quarterback maybe in 2023? We spent a 4th round pick on grooming a backup quarterback for possibly the 2023 season. The team has major problems at multiple position groups... this is not good use of roster space. Developing a quarterback is good business only when he has NFL-caliber potential and it's a team need... that's a negative on both.

You’re assuming (incorrectly) that they would have been able to draft a starter at a position with “major problems” in the 4th, if they had drafted someone other than Zappe.

1661826408323.gif

Roughly 10-12% of NFL starters were 4th round picks, a lower % than UDFAs. The best you can hope for is an approximately 1 in 3 chance at a select few positions (DL, OL and TE). At most positions, however, the likelihood of drafting a starter in the fourth round is abysmally low.

I’m curious whom you would have drafted in the fourth instead of Zappe.

Based upon BB’s comments about the safeties today, it’s pretty clear that Bledsoe isn’t making the 53, as you are predicting. He mentioned the top 5 guys, including Bryant, and initially seemed to forget Bledsoe before throwing in “and Bledsoe has had a good camp as well.” He has some potential so I hope that they are able to slip him on the PS but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ziegler snaps him up on waivers.
I have Bledsoe getting cut and reverting to the practice squad, that's what the big line through his name indicates.

I have Bledsoe getting cut and reverting to the practice squad, that's what the big line through his name indicates.
I know. I agreed in my post. We were both wrong.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back