PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots’ 2020 Rookies Are ‘Further Behind’ Than Ever, Bill Belichick Says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly you haven't been paying attention. For all of Edelman's catches, he led the league in dropped passes last year and he's not exactly been the epitome of reliable this year. The only two people worse than Edelman in terms of Catch % are Taylor (1/2) and Izzo (3/8).

I love Edelman and he's been a GOD in previous years, but he's not the reliable guy he once was.
He has always dropped passes and he has always been a great player for this team. Lame nicknames for one of the franchise's most important players is embarrassingly stupid.

Boy, with an extra week off this place sure can go dark. All the rookies suck, especially the TE's. Here's who we should have drafted instead.

Through 4 weeks:

Pick Tm Player G Rec Yds TD
43 CHI Cole Kmet 5 1 12 0
91 NWE Devin Asiasi 4 0 0 0
94 GNB Josiah Deguara 2 1 12 0
101 NWE Dalton Keene
105 NOR Adam Trautman 4 3 34 0
115 CLE Harrison Bryant 4 7 59 1
118 DEN Albert Okwuegbunam
133 SEA Colby Parkinson
136 LAR Brycen Hopkins
190 SFO Charlie Woerner 4 0 0 0
206 JAX Tyler Davis 2 0 0 0
251 SEA Stephen Sullivan

TE is probably the hardest position to make an impact as a rookie. You need to learn how to be an OL and a WR. This year's draft class isn't unique in that regard. I don't care what their fantasy football stats look like, I hope they're productive and contributing the final third of the season.

This is for you guys the next time covid strikes or the Pats have a bye week.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things either. But, for what it's worth, a link to an old Pats playbook was posted once. I looked at it for about 5 minutes before my head almost exploded. I think it gets far more complex than college, and not only do the players have to learn it, but they have to learn it so well that there is no hesitation or false steps once they are on the field. Then there's the physical development aspect where some rookies to get stronger, adjust to the speed of the game, wrs/cbs need to learn the finer points of route running and hand fighting, I imagine TEs have a ton on their plate with routes and blocking schemes to learn, etc.

TE is probably the hardest position to make an impact as a rookie. You need to learn how to be an OL and a WR. This year's draft class isn't unique in that regard. I don't care what their fantasy football stats look like, I hope they're productive and contributing the final third of the season.

This is for you guys the next time covid strikes or the Pats have a bye week.

Makes it even more amazing what Gronk and The Prisoner were able to do in 2010. In Gronk's second year he set a record for TDs by a TE and the Pats were running the no-huddle offense.

I am very ignorant so before someone tells me I don't know **** about football for saying this, just know I agree.

I don't know why it's so hard for rookies to catch on. Other than becoming a professional and all the other side things that being paid to play football brings, how much different is the principle? Learn the playbook, learn your job. Is that really so hard that rookies need a whole damn year to pick it up? Do they really need months upon months of offseason workouts that bad to know "when this play is called, I do this." I just don't really get it
I've read and been told most teams try to get a player acquainted / acclimated to their system year one. Practice habits, how they like you to run routes/rush the passer, film study, playbook - big difference in some cases, others not so much. But a lot more situation stuff. Lot more details. Teams want you to be a Patriot or Steeler or w/e team you're on.
Year two is when they really focus on the players traits and development. So when you see rookies perform right away it's usually a good thing.

More specifically for a CB/WR for example - spacing. Hashes are different in college/pro. Generally a lot more space, things are a lot tighter in the NFL. Press man is a lot better. Again in general you're going against a technical sound corner who's fluent in all coverages. Also it's a lot more physical but guys are so good at hiding it. There's a big jump for those two positions imo but I know from talking to people and reading that spacing is something some have to adjust to at first.

Defense - Defense matters more in college. I tried explaining this to Andy before but he just heard college > pro and put his fingers in his ears.
You might go a season or 5-6 games without seeing an NFL defender never mind 11 great defenders. Recruiting, Coaching preferences etc and you'll generally see, year after year talent/certain players will go to certain schools. So you'll see the lopsided effect in many ways but defense is a big one. So when you have a good sound defense in college it's matters, a lot. Everyone in the NFL is good. Think about it right now, who's got the best defense in the NFL? I'm sure you can pinpoint rankings but the drop off isn't huge. Certainly not as big as it is in college. This is something that can't go understated in the jump. You're going against grown men who do this 24/7.
Expanding here the talent level across the board is just enormous. The backups are really good whereas the backups in college might be playing another sport or working at some firm, maybe coaching. Everyone in the NFL is good, unbelievably good. I think the biggest disparity is at WR/CB though. The technique, refinement, patience is top notch every snap. Everything is tighter, again this is where spacing comes in. You don't have as much space or time to work.

QB's - something I always hear is tempo, command in huddle and snap cadences. Some haven't taken snaps from under center in live action or really huddled up. Even if you practice these things, lice action is so different. A lot of time you're just outscoring teams in college. NFL is a lot more situational to might have to huddle up, burn time, change a play but keep an alert, hurried up pace. NFL defenders will eat up your cadence if you're not careful. Again all this pre-snap stuff that might not show up but matters a lot between plays.

You go from every coach, school official, teacher wanting to protect you. To coaches who need production and all-world athletes looking to take snaps from you. Adversity sets in and you don't have the same support system so it's important who you let around you. Your inside circle or we. That's very important.

Offensive line is another one. For years even now its tough finding well rounded, versatile OL. More specifically guys that can play along the line. Take care of business driving people off the line using core (hips/stomach) then hitting the second level. Footwork, core strength. You have some great athletes that can get in space and move but a lot of time they're not being taught the hand usage either.

I'm sure there are books written or chapters dedicated to this bc it's enormous jump.

Neither of our tight ends is nfl strong enough to make a difference in our offense right now.
Let’s wait until they have had a year in the strength and conditioning program before we make a decision on their future.

The TEs have been the most disappointing group.

NO rookie TEs are making an impact this year and only ONE made a significant impact last year. Posters here (not singling you out) need to do some damn research before *****ing and moaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes