PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The most amazing trick play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have been better if one of the LBs recognized what was happening and laid the kid out full speed while he was nonchalantly walking. Now that would have been funny.
+1. The defense was a victim of their own desire not to get flagged with a cheap shot or something like that. I think even the refs were fooled. Wonder what would happen if later in the game the QB was walking casually off the field or something and got levelled and the defender was like "I thought it was a live ball!"

Last edited:
I never thought about it, but I take it the rule doesn't specifically say that a center snap/hike has to go between his legs? Awesome play; kid played his role perfectly.
That's correct, there is no rule that says the snap has to go between the legs. Every once in a while in a college game you'll see the "swinging gate" type of snap.

There's all sorts of other fun rules regarding the start of a play. Like there is no rule that says the ball must be snapped by the center - any player on the line can snap it. Also the lineman can spread out however wide they want. You can have 4 offensive lineman lined up wide right like they were receivers. They're not eligible to catch a pass, but I mean be positioned way out there.

Last edited:
Middle school football means NOTHING. You aren't playing for a championship if you're a middle school coach - you're raising men. Its one thing to scheme within the common understanding both teams have of the rules. But if I were the parent of the QB, and I saw this, I would question whether the coach is fit for his position.

If I ever have kids who play football, this is NOT the example I'd want them to see. Teach the boys to bear themselves with honor, and to earn whatever life gives them. Not to take underhanded shortcuts. Teach them to be men.

This isn't an attack on anyone, so don't be offended. Its just the way I feel.
I actually agree with you. I mean, I am not going to be losing any sleep over it but I think it is poor sportsmanship. You're essentially taking advantage of the defense not wanting to level a defenseless player because they would be afraid it was a cheap shot or maybe there was a whistle they didn't hear or something like that.

Last edited:
I actually agree with you. I mean, I am not going to be losing any sleep over it but I think it is poor sportsmanship. You're essentially taking advantage of the defense not wanting to level a defenseless player because they would be afraid it was a cheap shot or maybe there was a whistle they didn't hear or something like that.

Yes, a cheap and dishonorable play, in my opinion.

But cute.

OTOH, might people say that about the 'fake' QB spike the Pats do every now and then. I think it was 2007, we were already destroying the Bills (I think it was the Bills), and Brady pulled that crap. For one, why show your hand like that when you are already killing them, why show that card from your hand, why not save it for when you really need something? For another, it's borderline cheap. Some might say. Probably not me, as once you are in the NFL, you should expect it. But I still hold that it was a completely stupid time to do it.

Last edited:

But cute.

OTOH, might people say that about the 'fake' QB spike the Pats do every now and then. I think it was 2007, we were already destroying the Bills (I think it was the Bills), and Brady pulled that crap. For one, why show your hand like that when you are already killing them, why show that card from your hand, why not save it for when you really need something? For another, it's borderline cheap. Some might say. Probably not me, as once you are in the NFL, you should expect it. But I still hold that it was a completely stupid time to do it.
That's a good analogy but FWIW, let the record show my opinion of such trickeration is an entirely different matter if we are talking about professionals. Although I do occasionally sympathize with defenders who are sometimes in a lose-lose position when, for example, the QB is scrambling and is near the sidelines and looks like he is going out of bounds - but how can you be sure? If you hit him, it's a flag. If you don't hit him, he keeps running for another 5 yards or so.

But cute.

Well, in the NFL winning is the single objective of a team. Other teams expect any kind of deception contrivable, and the players will err on the side of hitting when they're not sure. Not to start a controversy, just thought I'd offer a point of view no one else had brought up.

Forget the play, how about the video quality from a Middle School game.

LOL! I was thinking the same exact thing! That's some damn good quality video for middle schoolers. Heck! Even better than the video quality from some nfl games.

Yeah, it's a bit shady.

Yeah, it's great life lessons.

The second-best thing to do on defense was wrap him up WITHOUT hitting him hard. That's the ideal reflex for a football player in cases where a play may or may not be live -- move fast but with the ability to hold back on your force.

The best thing to do on defense was wrap him up, then strip him of the ball. :D

And yeah, I thought the same thing about the video quality.

For all you whining about sportsmanship: Belichick would argue that it's not dishonorable, the defense failed to react to the snapped ball, as he said on WEEI as soon as the center's hand is on the ball, the play can be live at any minute, it's the defense's fault for not reading the play, showing a lack of understanding of fundamental mistake free football ;)

Last edited:
now that last one i like very smart kid on Defense and he didn't blow him up really just ran and tackled

Last edited:
Good job coaches! Good Job! Your teaching kids to play football and you have to pull this ****. Seriously, this is something Rex Ryan would do if he had a son in middle school and was coaching his team. Just a D-bag move IMO.

Good job coaches! Good Job! Your teaching kids to play football and you have to pull this ****. Seriously, this is something Rex Ryan would do if he had a son in middle school and was coaching his team. Just a D-bag move IMO.

I love this video..and I think its silly that people are crying bad sportsmanship..

Is that even legal?

As the official was walking down towards the goal line, I noticed that he didn't have his arms raised for a TD. I wonder if the center moving partially upright before he gave the ball to the QB actually did constitute a False Start; ...

EDIT: I just looked at the tape again and the Center holds his position and only moves his arm to give the ball to the center, so I think it was indeed a legal play.

Last edited:
Middle school football means NOTHING. You aren't playing for a championship if you're a middle school coach - you're raising men. Its one thing to scheme within the common understanding both teams have of the rules. But if I were the parent of the QB, and I saw this, I would question whether the coach is fit for his position.

If I ever have kids who play football, this is NOT the example I'd want them to see. Teach the boys to bear themselves with honor, and to earn whatever life gives them. Not to take underhanded shortcuts. Teach them to be men.

This isn't an attack on anyone, so don't be offended. Its just the way I feel.

Thank you for presenting that view politely, but I still disagree.

I think it taught the players on Offense that it's ok to be creative and I'm sure it taught the players on Defense that a play is "live" until they hear a whistle. So, I think it was a teaching opportunity for these students, with lessons that carry over into life: "be creative" and "take nothing for granted."

Last edited:
That's correct, there is no rule that says the snap has to go between the legs. Every once in a while in a college game you'll see the "swinging gate" type of snap.

There's all sorts of other fun rules regarding the start of a play. Like there is no rule that says the ball must be snapped by the center - any player on the line can snap it. Also the lineman can spread out however wide they want. You can have 4 offensive lineman lined up wide right like they were receivers. They're not eligible to catch a pass, but I mean be positioned way out there.

I'm open to being corrected here, but don't all linemen and all but one "skill player" have to hold their position before the ball is snapped? If a center flinches, he's called for a False Start. ...

EDIT: I looked at the tape again and the Center holds his position while remaining motionless with all but the arm he uses to give the ball to the QB, so I think it's legal.

Last edited:
That was freaking hilarious ! :rofl: WTF the defense was thinking ? Its a school game but still how did the D let the guy just walk right across

Have you been around middle school football? The players don't do much thinking.

I love this video..and I think its silly that people are crying bad sportsmanship..

Note: I can't see the video (youtube is blocked) so I am only putting it together from people's reactions, as I understand it, they snapped the ball, then pretended that the play was dead for whatever reason, then went and ran it for a TD?

How do you define good sportsmanship and how do you figure this falls into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes