PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Michael Vick suspended INDEFINATELY by the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the chances are he doesn't see jail time.

If he doesn't see any jail time, I will be furious. I can't believe how quickly people are saying, "Oh, he's obviously reformed!" just because he stumbled around for 4 minutes "speaking from the heart." It honestly sounded like someone gave him a list of talking points to make sure he mentions...someone who has been watching the media. "Kids, make sure you mention kids! Oh, make sure you acknowledge using "bad judgment". Oooh, say you're "immature", that's a good word. And DON'T FORGET JESUS!"

The Michael Vick pity party has begun. I'm surprised the Falcons aren't cutting him, and am surprised to hear Blank express hope Vick will rehab himself and play again. (There must be a technical reason or two for his not being cut that I'm not clear on. Mo -- any insight?)

So, he gets sentenced Dec. 10, which seems a long ways away. I wonder what the chances are he doesn't see jail time.

Even with his deal to become a canary, the prosecutor doesn't seem too inclined to cut him any slack. The recommendation remains 12-18. And I don't think Judge Hudson just fell off the proverbial turnip truck either. He'll have to give them a lot, a lot of names, dates, testimony to cut any jail time. And that may have it's own dire consequences. He thinks he's got a year to mull his shortcomings, I think it'll be more like 3 including his NFL suspensions and substantial probation once his jail time is served. And that jail time or sentence won't start now before mid December. Then of course there are a couple of states who could potentially weigh in.

And I wouldn't doubt if between now and the time he is technically available to play in the NFL, a few scathing tell alls won't have been published

As for Blank, he's got to keep him on the roster to collect any forfeited bonus money via grievance through '09 or at least through March of '08 just to lighten the dead cap hit which would be $14M in '08 otherwise. Part of me thinks that isn't right, but another part thinks making it any less difficult for teams to part with mistakes would just encourage them to continue making them. Teams need to feel the pinch for making "mistakes" too.

The Michael Vick pity party has begun. I'm surprised the Falcons aren't cutting him, and am surprised to hear Blank express hope Vick will rehab himself and play again. (There must be a technical reason or two for his not being cut that I'm not clear on. Mo -- any insight?)

So, he gets sentenced Dec. 10, which seems a long ways away. I wonder what the chances are he doesn't see jail time.

If the Falcons cut him, then he won't have to give any of the signing bonus back. Instead, they are going after $22 million of the signing bonus. When/IF they receive that, then they will cut him.

As for Blank, he's got to keep him on the roster to collect any forfeited bonus money via grievance through '09 or at least through March of '08 just to lighten the dead cap hit which would be $14M in '08 otherwise. Part of me thinks that isn't right, but another part thinks making it any less difficult for teams to part with mistakes would just encourage them to continue making them. Teams need to feel the pinch for making "mistakes" too.

I think that the Falcons are feeling a pinch in regards to Vick. But that is also why they are going after the $22 million in signing bonuses remaining on his contract. If they get that returned to them, then they can cut Vick without any penalty to the salary cap.

Also, I think that because the LEAGUE suspended Vick without pay, that the SALARY portion of Vick's cap hit no longer counts against the Falcons. I believe that the signing bonus proration will count until they re-coup the signing bonus from Vick. When that happens, then the Falcons would get the yearly amortization credited to them, but not the entire 22 million.

Miguel is probably the best person to speak on how the cap is affected by Vick's suspension without pay and with the Falcons going after him for the $22 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down