PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

The crazy toss thing in that one is what also sticks out in my mind…not ideal.

But again, one game doesn’t encompass his career or the great moments he provided us.
Yeah he hit Joey Porter between the numbers on one and Porter is one guy I never wanted to see do anything good against us for obvious reasons.

I also remember in the same game Drew took a hit very similar to Mo Lewis. This time he got right back up right away and I loved how Brady and the team got so fired up seeing him do that. Awesome

I also remember in the same game Drew took a hit very similar to Mo Lewis. This time he got right back up right away and I loved how Brady and the team got so fired up seeing him do that. Awesome
Yeah, he was just a defensive back. I remember a lot of people being upset that he was that careless given the previous hit, but I was definitely glad that he got back up and the TD pass was a great moment.

I was happy for him, but I was also worried for him at the same time because I felt like it was going to be the last time we saw him in a Pats uniform and I wanted him to go out on a high note. I mean, I was a massive Drew guy...so embracing Brady was tough. But he was a likable guy and he always said and did the right thing and it was hard not to like him. ]

So I eventually got on board and rode it out as everyone else did. But I was hoping he'd at least finish without costing them the game and I'm glad things played out the way they did...because there were definitely some stressful moments.

I’ve always thought Bledsoe’s TD to Patton in the AFCG and Brady’s pass to Patton in the SB demonstrated the difference between those 2 QBs. As I recall, both were from a similar field position. In the AFCG, Bledsoe held the ball until he saw Patton breaking open in the end zone and fired a TD. In the SB, Brady sees Patton running side by side with a corner with the corner to Payton’s inside. Brady throws it while Patton is still covered and just before he makes his cut to the back of the end zone and to a spot (the outside) where only Patton can get to to make a catch and he completes the pass for a TD.
One of the biggest things people talked about during that 2001 was the fact Brady was better about hitting guys in stride and getting yards after the catch, whereas Bledsoe obviously had a stronger arm but often hit guys where they were instead of leading them.

Brady also had/has better vision and moved better in the pocket, which was the other thing that made the difference because he bought himself more time. I don't think many of us thought about things like that all that often with Drew until it happened and another guy was in there, but it was definitely a strange year. I'm just glad he ended up being OK given how serious the injury was and I'm glad he's doing well in retirement.

Yes, Bledsoe was an excellent QB who had the misfortune to precede the GOAT. Once he saw a receiver break open he had a rocket of an arm to make the completion. But he was not so good at anticipating when and where a receiver would become open and make the throw to the receiver before he got open. So he often held the ball too long waiting for his receiver to get open and took too many sacks and hits. He was great, just not Brady Great.

Drew didn't play in the same precision timing offense that Brady ultimately thrived in under Josh McDaniels.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bledsoe reminds me of Jayson Tatum (at least Tatum, to date.) It’s always a strange thing when the national media gives a player more confidence and higher praise than the local fan base (and the local fan base knows better). It always seemed that way with Bledsoe, that he was at his best Monday - Saturday and that he was very highly regarded by all the experts, pundits, etc. but you always felt like he was never really that guy you can count on to carry a team like a real superstar player.

Bledsoe was my favorite player growing up. Good guy, face of the team, etc. He was definitely an above average QB with all of his strengths and weaknesses weighed appropriately, but his weaknesses prevented him from being truly great. Still, based on my first live games consisting of Scott Secules, Hugh Millen, Tommy Hodson, etc. I was a big time Bledsoe fan, and he (and Parcells) made the franchise relevant.
The problem for Bledsoe was that he tried to force the ball in big situations, like many strong armed QBs.

To whom did Tuna Crap make the franchise relevant? The media? The Pats had good teams in every decade. What Tuna proved he was great at was picking his spots. He took over a 4-5 NYG team, the 2-14 Pats, 1-15 Jets and 5-11 Cowboys. Every team he took over could only get better. In the case of the Cowboys they actually did even better after he left.

One of the biggest things people talked about during that 2001 was the fact Brady was better about hitting guys in stride and getting yards after the catch, whereas Bledsoe obviously had a stronger arm but often hit guys where they were instead of leading them.

Brady also had/has better vision and moved better in the pocket, which was the other thing that made the difference because he bought himself more time. I don't think many of us thought about things like that all that often with Drew until it happened and another guy was in there, but it was definitely a strange year. I'm just glad he ended up being OK given how serious the injury was and I'm glad he's doing well in retirement.
That's how I saw it also. Brady was better at the little things. To me hitting guys in stride is one of the most important factors.

Reactions: Ian
The problem for Bledsoe was that he tried to force the ball in big situations, like many strong armed QBs.

To whom did Tuna Crap make the franchise relevant? The media? The Pats had good teams in every decade. What Tuna proved he was great at was picking his spots. He took over a 4-5 NYG team, the 2-14 Pats, 1-15 Jets and 5-11 Cowboys. Every team he took over could only get better. In the case of the Cowboys they actually did even better after he left.
I prefer my QB to make that attempt with the game/season on the line as opposed to the QB thinking about their passer rating and throwing the short completion that loses the game but boosts their MVP chances.

I prefer my QB to make that attempt with the game/season on the line as opposed to the QB thinking about their passer rating and throwing the short completion that loses the game but boosts their MVP chances.
I only want my QB to take those chances if he's forced. When the team's behind by 3 and near the goal line at the end an interception ends the game.

Bledsoe was a maddening QB to watch play. I loved him and his arm but I could never quite figure out what the issue was until Brady took the field and then it all became clear.

I only want my QB to take those chances if he's forced. When the team's behind by 3 and near the goal line at the end an interception ends the game.
I agree but I was mostly throwing shade at Aaron Rodgers

Bledsoe was a maddening QB to watch play. I loved him and his arm but I could never quite figure out what the issue was until Brady took the field and then it all became clear.
For me it was his obsession with patting the ball before throwing it.

That always came across as gimmicky to me and delayed his throws.

Why would you give the Def a tell that you are releasing the ball?

From 1996-1999, Bledsoe was regarded as one of the best QB’s in the NFL.

The comeback wins with a broken finger against Miami on MNF and Buffalo in 1998 were we’re amazing to say the least.

But with the losses of Martin, Gash and a deteriorating team, he was never the same after his meeting with Bill Belichick and his headband on MNF in 1999 against the Jets. Teams starting mimicking that game plan with delayed blitzes/rushing him up the middle and the 1999 Pats went 2-6 after starting 6-2.

He was uncomfortable with striped down roster and offense. He had one good year in Buffalo in 2002 but that was it.

From 1996-1999, Bledsoe was regarded as one of the best QB’s in the NFL.

The comeback wins with a broken finger against Miami on MNF and Buffalo in 1998 were we’re amazing to say the least.

But with the losses of Martin, Gash and a deteriorating team, he was never the same after his meeting with Bill Belichick and his headband on MNF in 1999 against the Jets. Teams starting mimicking that game plan with delayed blitzes/rushing him up the middle and the 1999 Pats went 2-6 after starting 6-2.

He was uncomfortable with striped down roster and offense. He had one good year in Buffalo in 2002 but that was it.

Bledsoe was a bridge QB, like Favre. They were players who were built for the previous era of going deep much more than going west coast offense. For Bledsoe, his "end" came when he became too reliant on the TEs, especially when the TE quality nosedived.

But, if you look at his career data, he's probably that SB win away from being a HOFer.

• Sad
Reactions: sb1
GOAT TE

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back