PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL off-season: Changes for the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL off-season: Changes for the better by Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News

Gosselin ranks the NFL's ten best off-season moves.

Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo is the front-runner for 2009 NFL Executive of the Year honors for solving a decades-old problem for the Bears this off-season.

By acquiring Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler from Denver, Angelo has situated the Bears as the preseason favorite in the NFC North.

Cutler passed for 4,526 yards and 25 touchdowns for the Broncos last season. No Chicago quarterback has passed for 4,000 yards in a season, and only two have thrown for as many as 25 touchdowns.

Gosselin's rankings:
  • QB Jay Cutler, Chicago
  • DT Albert Haynesworth, Washington
  • OT Jason Peters, Philadelphia
  • DC Dom Capers/DT BJ Raji, Green Bay
  • TE Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta
  • DE Connor Barwin, Houston
  • HC Jim Schwartz, Detroit
  • WR Torry Holt, Jacksonville
  • RB Donald Brown, Indianapolis
  • WR Terrell Owens, Buffalo

That's not a bad list but I don't think Haynesworth to Washington is going to be as big a deal as some people think. I love Cutler to Chicago, that really is going to make things interesting in the NFC North. Vikings were looking to take over with that running game and defense and now with Chicago having a pretty darn good QB, that's going to change things up a bit.

TO In Buffalo, its a 1 year deal, he should be pretty focussed, but then again, its is Buffalo.

Holt to Jacksonville, not sure I buy that just because Jacksonville is kind of over rated in my book.

Tony G to Atlanta is huge. I think Atlanta could be ready to really compete in the NFC South and maybe push for a playoff birth again and maybe sneak out a win vs someone like the NFC West team that makes it or the NFC East non Division Winner, say the Cowboys or Giants. (I think Giants win that Division this year but we'll see).

The one I'm not sure about is Jason Peters to the Eagles. While it certainly filled a huge void for Philadelphia when Tra Thomas signed with Jacksonville, Peters had a very sub-par year with Buffalo last season. I also think it's a bit early to declare the Barwin and Brown draft picks as one of the ten biggest offseason moves.

Putting draft picks on this list is a bit pretentious. I mean, why is Donald Brown on here and not Matt Stafford. Who is going to improve their team more?

The rest I can agree with. Jim Schwartz was a bit of a reach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST