PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My only concern from last off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How did the Pats training staff NOT know that Ted Johnson wouldn't be able to pass his physical?

The Pats training staff must have had some signals to this effect at the end of year physical. And its not like they do contact drills during the mini-camps.

With Ted Johnson's history of concussions, you'd think that the Pats training staff would have let BB know about the potential of Johnson not being able to pass his physical in July. Then the Pats could have planned better for the potential of Big Ted not being in the line-up.

When I think back to last year, everything points to the idea that BB and Pioli didn't know about the concussion. And yes, I honestly feel they would have handled last year's off-season differently had they known.

DaBruinz said:
\I honestly feel they would have handled last year's off-season differently had they known.

how so?
they brought in chad brown and monty beisel

now obviously we know they were busts (i guess you can say the jury is still out on beisel), but i think the pats thought they could get a lot more out of those two
i mean they still had vrabel, willie, and colvin

so, who else would they have brought in?

I don't know that they had many options, even if they did know. Who was available to play MLB? Anthony Simmons? Nate Webster? Jay Foreman? Kendrell Bell?

The fact is, we were stuck. We jumped on free agency's best options. The draft didn't offer much as far as 3-4 ILB's go. Thurman, Crowder and Tutupu are too small for our system.

BB and Pioli had to know what was going on. The fact is that, in a dire situation, they weren't going to show their hand to the rest of the league.

I don't think anything is harder to figure out than head injuries. I doubt seriously that Ted thought that he would flunk the physical either. You really can't expect the training staff to detect internal head injuries. Ted's doctor should have been able to do it, but I don't think you can drop this one on the hands of the training staff. Then again everyone recovers from concussions differently, just as some athletes, so no signs of or ill effects from a concussion, others have to end their careers.

I agree with your premise that BB had no foreknowledge of the loss of Ted last year, was a huge blow because we lost both Teds for a while and they are the ones who make the defensive calls. When BB thought that he would have Ted J to deal with the run, and then put in maybe a Biesel or a Brown for obvious throwing situations, then those FA signings make much more sense.

patsfan55 said:
how so?
they brought in chad brown and monty beisel

now obviously we know they were busts (i guess you can say the jury is still out on beisel), but i think the pats thought they could get a lot more out of those two
i mean they still had vrabel, willie, and colvin

so, who else would they have brought in?

Patsfan55 -
It was a TOTAL SHOCK to BB that Ted Johnson had to retire the day before training camp.

Bringing in Chad Brown and Monty Beisel had to do with replacing Roman Phifer and Tedy Bruschi. The Pats were still under the impression they'd have Ted Johnson last year. Beisel was brought in as a project. Not someone who would have to start immediately. Chad Brown was brought in as a veteran presence to line up next to Ted Johnson until Bruschi returned or until Beisel was ready.

Your mentioning Vrabel, Colvin and McGinest is meaningless. At the end of the 2004 season, they were your primary OLB guys. Vrabel was the only one who had been mentioned as a possibilty of moving inside. And when it was, it was mentioned that he'd be teamed with Johnson.

As for what the Pats would have done, I honestly believe it would have changed their focus during free agency from WR to LB. I also believe it would have changed their focus during the draft. Why? Because the need for ILB would have gone up more than it did. Because the Pats would have been replacing ALL 3 ILB positions.

And, yes, I mentioned this on the ESPN board when I was posting there. The Pats could have been a player in the sweepstakes for Hartwell. And there is no telling what would have happened if Hartwell had signed with the Pats.

DaBruinz said:
When I think back to last year, everything points to the idea that BB and Pioli didn't know about the concussion. And yes, I honestly feel they would have handled last year's off-season differently had they known.
I don't know if it was that cut and dry...that is obvious that he wasn't going to pass...Maybe Ted wanted to play and had second thoughts about it especially after TB's scare in February. Many a pro puts it off and off and doesn't go into retirement easily. Or if one thinks about something on a sinister side..which I just thought I'd bring up..maybe Ted wanted to wait to tell the team at the last minute..sort of a quiet pay back, Remember, Ted did leave camp one year for a few days. Just trying to think of all kinds of things on this. I agree neither SP or BB had a clue....and I bet the training staff did not know.

Trotter was there...

stinkypete said:
I don't know that they had many options, even if they did know. Who was available to play MLB? Anthony Simmons? Nate Webster? Jay Foreman? Kendrell Bell?

The fact is, we were stuck. We jumped on free agency's best options. The draft didn't offer much as far as 3-4 ILB's go. Thurman, Crowder and Tutupu are too small for our system.

BB and Pioli had to know what was going on. The fact is that, in a dire situation, they weren't going to show their hand to the rest of the league.

Y'all foget that neither Beisel nor Brown were brought into playTJ's role. but both were tried there and found to not know the BB Defense and not be another TJ. Trotter was a FA last offseason and there was some discussion of signing him before he went back to the Eagles cheaply. iF bb/sp had known of of Tj's condition earlier, there was one obvious player who could have closed the hole. They thought they were getting a temporary replacement for Tedy, and depth, instead these guys were thrust into a pair of inside starting positions and neither was ready nor adapted for the position.

IMHO they both got the shaft as did the team. The Pats in effect lost Phifer, Tedy and TJ all at the same time.

DB- i agree that bb did not know ted would not be playing. but i cant believe the training staff would ever be less than 100% truthful with bb. theyd have to know theyd lose their jobs. and i dont think even tj knew.i think this was just one of those unlucky situations where everyone involved did the right thing-just got caught by an unexpected turn of events. theres no question in my mind that bb's offseason moves wouldve been far different had he known,like you said. hartwell might well have been here.

AzPatsFan said:
The Pats in effect lost Phifer, Tedy and TJ all at the same time.
Three inside linebackers..lost at one time..and one retiring AFTER many moves have been made..I think the Patriot team did well to be where they were last year considering many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back