SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Rams
Sun
Feb 3rd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
We're on to Atlanta!
Tom Brady and the Patriots pulled off an incredible overtime win at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday, sending them to Atlanta to battle the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Mcdaniels OUT with Packers. (EDIT)

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by ChrisR2223, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,492
    If I am McDaniels, I wouldn’t want the Packers job. Sure he would have Rodgers, but I don’t know how much longer Rodgers has as an elite QB. Rodgers is 35, a mobile QB, and has taken a beating in recent years. How many years does he have left as an elite QB? It could only be a year or two.

I would want the Cleveland job over any. Yes, the owner sucks, but they have the QB and talent around him to build on. They could be a contender for the next decade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

2. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,298
    Apparently, the Browns haven’t even interviewed Mike McCarthy yet, at least from the article that I read, despite the headline claiming that they were pretty much done with their interviews. They reportedly haven’t asked permission to talk to McDaniels, either, so who knows what the hell they’re doing? Maybe they just have something against Irish guys?

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,541
    And that's the problem right there Rob. A person like McDaniels who comes from stability being with the Pats organization: Will not go to an unstable organization which starts from the Top in Cleveland.

4. TomPatriot

TomPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,928
    I’ll take the job and retain Williams. Then I’ll hire Scott or Elliot, whichever one can bring Robbie Caldwell. Watch out Belichick! :rolleyes::confused::eek:o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,115
    Yes, my first reaction on hearing about this hire was, "why?" This is what you replace McCarthy with? He must be willing to let St. Aaron call his own plays or something...

6. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59,534
    Plus he overrules his HC. Thinks he knows best on a team that has missed the playoffs two years in a row

7. Flash

Flash On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +614
    I really don't think it would be in McDaniels' best interest to leave. I've heard that McDaniels gets paid nearly as much as a lower-end HC, that's significant money for an OC. In addition, it is no secret that Belichick does not have a lot of years left as a HC (it may happen as soon as the end of next season for all we know). When Belichick retires, the seat is 100% McDaniels', it won't go to anyone else. Why bother uprooting your family to go somewhere else when the money is good already and your next HC job is literally secured down the line?

Plus, while some of the older guys like Brady, DMac, Gronk, Hightower will all be gone in a few years, the next group of young guys like Shaq, Gilmore, Michel already know McDaniels, McDaniels won't have the issue of establishing respect like he had with Denver.

The only more attractive spot right now is Cleveland because of Baker Mayfield, we might struggle to land our next franchise QB for all we know.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,587
    It had a lot to do with the willingness to keep Philbin and the defensive staff on.

9. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,587
    Any chance the Jets or phins come sniffing around at Josh?

10. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +44,117
    So the guy running the 7th worst offense in the NFL is the guy for the job? Or did they just want to find a yes man for Rodgers?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Family

Family On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +555
    I am an old fart like many of the posters and I can not wrap my head around how someone can be an effective head coach without choosing his own assistants.

Memory says this practice of management choosing assistants was less common a generation ago. Back then coaches were fighting for total control over, even over personnel, and now someone like Josh, who holds one of the best resumes out there, can't get a gig without choosing his own coaching staff? That seemed to be his issue in Indy.

As a head coach, you are a leader. How can you lead if you are left with assistants (not to mention a QB) who might not be on the same page with your approach? I can't understand this.

To find an effective leader, you have to offer a chance to lead.

It will become a league of Jason Garrett's.

12. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +59,534
    I think perceived chemistry with AR had a ton to do with their choice.

Also because LaFleur spent a bunch of years in the WC offense, they might have seen that as a big benefit as well as AR already knows it.

13. borg

borg Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,996
    Just curious....
    For those who attend training camp and the games, is Josh a take-charge OC on the practice field and the sidelines?
    I ask because the only TV visuals I ever see of Josh are him nestled next to Brady on the bench. The cameras show BB addressing groups on the sidelines, I've seen Dante & Patricia in front of their legions, but I can never recall seeing Josh in front of his offense during any game.
    What have you seen?

14. Soliel

Soliel PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,809
    This all fits nicely into my conspiracy theory. A kid genius named max something said on YouTube that cern had destroyed our universe and everything just switched to a parallel.

I agree, here, people want to go to cleaveland. What other evidence should I need?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,599
    I think Vrable got the call after fielding the statistically worst defense that year. (Injuries, I know)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. sean10mm

sean10mm On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +694
    And the Titans defense ended up being very good under Vrabel. They were let down by the offense, in large part because Mariota is brittle and inconsistent.

17. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +59,534
    See for yourself.

I don't think Josh is a true yeller/screamer type. He gets animated. He gets passionate. Ive seen him at TC get on a player for whatever.

His demeanor is not a concern of mine but make no mistake, part of his effectiveness is directly attributed to BB and Tom's leadership.

• Like Like x 2
  18. qbno12

qbno12 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,559
    ARI isn't ideal for a first time NFL headcoach unless you are someone like McVay. You have to go against Seahawks and Rams twice a year and then 49ers (talented and can be very good).

19. Ras-IR Dowling

Ras-IR Dowling In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,633
    You can argue McVay and shannahan are 2 of the best offensive minds in the game right now? Lafluer worked under both recently. Packers want to emulate those offenses and think his offense will look much better with Rodgers running the show than mariota.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Coolade2

Coolade2 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +565
    Maybe Packers were reading my Questions for mcD game plan thread...:p:p

Having lafleur chosen over him is a clear slap.. IMO. which goes to his overall head coach persona.

The Indy debacle was actually a good thing in that Josh slapped them for expecting him to follow thru before contract was signed. Good for him.

Ironically that same move made him look un head coachy. :D