Let's talk Mookie

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What we know about Mookie....

Incredibly talented multi-tool player..... yada yada.....who wants to hit free agency and let the free market elevate his compensation far beyond his true value (Scott Boras rule #1).
Speculation: He doesn't like Boston
Rumor: Turned down 8 year/$200 mill deal last year
Future contract comparisons: Trout $35.5 mill/yr thru 2030, Harper $25 mill/yr thru 2031, Machado $30 mill/yr thru 2028

At first glance, Boston's offer is light in both money and years......but.....Boston's lesser offer reflects some truths about Mookie's game;
Unlike like the Trout, Harper, Machado....Mookie is a leadoff hitter (mostly) who has underperformed when placed in the heart of the batting order. No doubt Mookie is the most productive lead off hitter in the game based on runs and power.
His spray charts clearly establish Mookie's is a pull hitter who has modestly benefitted from playing at Fenway (OPS is +0.070 at Fenway)
Diminutive in stature especially when compared to traditional power hitters.
Plus speed on base paths and in the field

Questions going forward:
For how many years does a team want to bet on diminutive Mookie who relies on quick twitch muscle control to generate insane bat speed and fleet legs?
What kind of premium will teams pay for a lead off hitter?

Then there's the Red Sox, a team that has managed a WS title every 4-5 years which is tops in MLB but this team has a knack at inflicting damaging wounds on itself with horrible contracts that constrict their abilities to ever repeat. Fat Panda is the most egregious.
The Sox are at a cross roads again. While bad contracts/excessive salaries will be coming off the books this offseason (Porcello, Fat Panda), the Sox have what I consider 3 horrible pitching contracts remaining though many would disagree. I'm lumping Sale, Price, and Evoldi contracts all in the bad-horrible category going forward. Sale is shell who will continue to decline IMO. Price's Red Sox stint has been a major disappointment from a value standpoint and a Evoldi's 2 month flash last year will likely never repeat.
Offensively, with or without Mookie, the Sox will score runs and I expect Martinez to not opt out because.....
....Take a look at MLB stats leaders !!!!
This new ball era has elevated batters' production almost across the board.
2018 MVP Mookie is currently tied for 54th in HRs. He's in the 30's for highest OPS.
Martinez is quietly having a nice season but his numbers certainly don't stand out....and this is without factoring in his lack of fielding.
My point: Based on current production, teams have a plethora of batting options to choose from in trade and free agency. Will teams want to pay Martinez $25 mill with so many other options available. And for him specifically, it will likely need to be an AL team.........so who will buy a $25 mill DH in the AL?
I don't see it
The elevated hitting numbers will slightly affect Mookie's contract ambitions as well. He is not so special this year, far from it though still the best leadoff option in MLB.

So......Sox pitching is horrendous and the team is sadled with 2-3 (IMO) terrible contracts going forward....and no bull pen talent what so ever.
Sox have some money to spend to fortify the pitching staff but not enough to right the ship
Sox farm system is barren with no difference making assets to improve their MLB roster soon nor as draft chips to bring in certified young pitching talent.

IMO, the 8 year/$200 mill offer to Mooki was spot on in terms of appropriate compensation for a top of the order talent who relies on his youthful legs.
But of course Boras will find better offers (Mookie should go to Baltimore simply based on his hitting prowess at Camden Yards though no way Baltimore is ready to buy stars right now).

Sell Mookie

He doesn't want to be here
He will get paid too much
He is not as special in this juiced ball era
The Sox need young pitching talent ASAP...on the farm and in Boston
I see no other way for Boston to accelerate the accumulation of young talent. Static drafting from their yearly slot is futile

And frankly, I would trade off Price and Sale (if remotely possible) and accelerate the rebuild. Of course I don't live or die for the Sox on a daily basis and I am far more comfortable making a stab at a title every 5 years instead of going for it every year. I just don't see the point of owning aging $30 million dollar starters with such an incomplete roster.
So much wasted money every year
So few young arms in the system
So many good hitters available in the market
The Sox need to step back for a year or two at a time when the Yankees are too powerful (1-9 and bull pen). Use this as a hiatus to rebuild their arms from the ground up.

And hire a GM capable of identifying young minor talent.......a talent I fear Dumbrowski doesn't posses
It was fun Mookie
Good luck playing in a boring cookie cutter ball park with low key fans
Could have been the face of the franchise and a forever fixture in our hearts (like Ortiz.....this does have value).
Say hi to Scott

PS: I should ask....Does Henry and Co have the guts to trade Mookie?
Mookie is not damaged goods. Nomar was already in decline when Theo traded him.
I hope the Red Sox operate as our Lord BB would.....cold calculating team-first decision making vs. sentimentality (Larry Luchino style)

Edit: If Boston retains Mookie through the end of his contract and then Mookie leaves via free agency....the Sox get no compensatory pick....NOTHING....thanks to Boston's current high spending ways

Last edited:
Mookie telling WEEI he loves Boston.

Translation:
“I need Boston to bid on me next offseason to drive my salary to the moon.....stupid cement heads”

they will screw this up, just watch

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back