PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jasyon Tatum is still overrated

Tatum is smooth. Wow he is great so far this season. 56% field goal shooting so far. It is very obvious he works like crazy to improve his game each offseason. He has become a great finisher at the rim and his rebounding is also noticeably better. When he gets the ball against a single defender and the paint is cleared it’s almost an automatic basket with his speed and length. Serious MVP contender.
Agree. Tatum is unreal and improving. The sky is the limit at this point.
Brown clearly did not improve once again
I think Brown's 3 point shot has improved, especially his step back and side step threes.
and remains the same frustrating player who thrives in blowouts against soft defenses (almost like an all star game exhibition) but is garbage against high pressure defenses. Still sucks as dribbling, still can’t go left, has no court vision, defense at best average. Overall inconsistent and one dimensional. IMO he’s their fifth best player. In roughly half the games he’s an actual minus and they’d be better playing a rotational guy and giving more shot attempts to everyone else.
I think you are a bit harsh. Definitively frustrating at times, but Brown is better. He is uber athletic and with Porzi out of the lane, Brown has more room to drive and cut without the ball. I think sometimes watching Tatum makes Brown look worse because Tatum keeps improving so much and is so smooth, and Brown is not on the same trajectory. Porzi, White, and Holiday play within the flow of the game and I think this style of play, which I much prefer to the "superstar iso" play style, will rub off onto Brown and Tatum. Hopefully we have 3 to 5 years of these guys and we can watch as they learn to play with a lot of ball movement.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I was wrong about Tatum. He may not be super clutch (hopefully he will be) but he's clearly talented and could be the top player in the league when Curry and LeBrick are done, if they aren't done already.

I always liked Brown's game and maybe he'll find a comfortable role now that Smart's gone.

As for turnovers, I have two things to say on that.
1 - Tatum and Brown are pretty close in TOs.
2 - I like raspberry most of all.
Not this year with TOs

KP and Jrue have made life so much easier for Tatum (and Brown). He is ending up with so many one on one opportunities and no one can really guard him in that spot.

For a guy who has had two defenders attached to him on a full time basis the last few years that just can’t be understated.

KP and Jrue have made life so much easier for Tatum (and Brown). He is ending up with so many one on one opportunities and no one can really guard him in that spot.

For a guy who has had two defenders attached to him on a full time basis the last few years that just can’t be understated.

Agreed. Tatum looks amazing. That spin move in the lane is amazing. Whoever said Tatum is overrated does not know basketball. Same guys that called for Tatum or Brown to be traded.

Agreed. Tatum looks amazing. That spin move in the lane is amazing. Whoever said Tatum is overrated does not know basketball. Same guys that called for Tatum or Brown to be traded.

Brown should be traded.

The Celtics have obviously been a very good overall team the last few years but I think Tatum’s offensive support has been limited. I won’t rant on Brown further, but I’ll just say he opens up nothing for Tatum in terms of pick and rolls, playmaking etc. Smart wasn’t much of a playmaker either. They often had Horford on the perimeter. No true point guard. White did help but not enough. The offense could get suffocated down the stretch by some defenses. I think a lot of Tatum’s late game struggles were due to these factors, as we can clearly see this year how deadly he is with some breathing room.

Can we change the title to Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Coach Joe Muzzalla being over rated?

Why and for who? We aren’t likely to win a championship without Jaylen Brown.
From what I have seen we aren't likely to win a championship with Jaylen Brown. in big games he chokes and usually has the most turnovers in the game. this last game on Monday he only had 3 TOs White had 5 and Tatum had 2. plus Brown missed 5 shots in a row in the 3rd qtr. Can't win the big one with that going on. others will say but he got 30 points true but gave up so many.

You shouldn't make generalizations like that. I said Tatum was overrated and I did a double take here and took it back. I don't recall anyone looking to trade Tatum but maybe Brown. I like them both.

But to be truthful, as an old timer, I'm struggling once again with the current game. I'm finding it very difficult to see a player get the ball to the basket only to throw it out to a big man for a clanged-up three. Red was spot on when the 3-pointer first came to be and he said that it should be 3 points for getting it to the hoop, not for throwing it up from outside.

Another problem I see besides the crazy money, which I don't imagine brings out the best in every player, is the dilution of talent. There are too many stiffs roaming around the NBA these days.

Can we change the title to Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Coach Joe Muzzalla being over rated?
I think I can do that but it's still early. As I may have mentioned before here, the only problem I see with this team is the way they let teams back in games, even with big leads late. There's something about their attitude or coaching that's still not working in crunch time.

From what I have seen we aren't likely to win a championship with Jaylen Brown. in big games he chokes and usually has the most turnovers in the game. this last game on Monday he only had 3 TOs White had 5 and Tatum had 2. plus Brown missed 5 shots in a row in the 3rd qtr. Can't win the big one with that going on. others will say but he got 30 points true but gave up so many.
I don't know what's going on with either Brown or Tatum. It's like they're great when the team's on a great run but then they get stupid and do some incredibly dumb things. Things that a great player seldom does seem to happen to them much too often.

But to be truthful, as an old timer, I'm struggling once again with the current game.

Red was spot on when the 3-pointer first came to be and he said that it should be 3 points for getting it to the hoop, not for throwing it up from outside.

Another problem I see besides the crazy money, which I don't imagine brings out the best in every player, is the dilution of talent. There are too many stiffs roaming around the NBA these days.

Thanks for being honest. Yes, it appears as though you are struggling.

Red was amazing, but not infallible. The fans love the 3 point shot and it has reinvigorated the league. Red was wrong in this case.

There is crazy money in all sports. No reason to worry or care about that. You struggle because you are concerned about all the wrong issues. Digging up old Red quotes is the wrong approach. Try sitting back and enjoying something new.

Tatum has like a -33 over the last nine games. Went from a career high to a career low. Maybe it’s just a market correction/ regression type of thing. I haven’t noticed that much of a difference in his decision making but his shots aren’t falling and his handle/passing is just sloppy. Confident he’ll bounce back.

Lebron made the final 4 of this in season tournament. Let's hope the Celtics ****ing figure it out before the real playoffs start. Seems like they always lose when an opponents star player has a great game. Tatum can't match. Or can't raise the game of those around him. Celtics of old used to let Wilt have his 40points but the TEAM would win.

I don't know what's going on with either Brown or Tatum. It's like they're great when the team's on a great run but then they get stupid and do some incredibly dumb things. Things that a great player seldom does seem to happen to them much too often.
Brown's thoughts. I think he is playing worse this season. I already said what a think about his play in a crucial game, he is a difference, turnovers & failed shots.

Brown's thoughts. I think he is playing worse this season. I already said what a think about his play in a crucial game, he is a difference, turnovers & failed shots.

Worst shooter on team takes second most shots on team. Worst 3 pointer shooter takes second most 3 pointers. Worst dribbler dribbles most. What can go wrong?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back