PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jasyon Tatum is still overrated

Tatum probably is one of the top 5-10 players in today's NBA. He had a great season on the league's best team.

Hes also been a pretty good playoff performer especially last year before he ran out of gas.

...but in no way should he be compared to Bird or other GOATs from the past who have won championships, reg season and playoff MVPs. That's not fair to him.

He has the opportunity to accomplish that. I love his talent. Let's see if he can do it.

Not only his talent, his post game interviews this series have been great. Taking accountability, looking to improve, supporting his teammates, and respecting the opponent. He has matured. Not a Boston great yet, but on the way. J Brown is looking great too. Let's hope it is another breakout game today.

Tatum probably is one of the top 5-10 players in today's NBA. He had a great season on the league's best team.

Hes also been a pretty good playoff performer especially last year before he ran out of gas.

...but in no way should he be compared to Bird or other GOATs from the past who have won championships, reg season and playoff MVPs. That's not fair to him.

He has the opportunity to accomplish that. I love his talent. Let's see if he can do it.
Exactly. I don't think anyone here is talking about how he's a top five or 10 player in NBA history.

What a stupid response, dude. You have any facts to back up Tatum's greatness. All I've seen so far from him are chokes in big moments.
If you think this about Tatum, I’m assuming you have the same view of Luka, Jokic and the reigning MVP Embiid? I imagine you feel that way about every NBA star who has never won a championship either. In fact that would’ve made Pierce, Garnett, Allen all chokers before they came here late in their career since they had never gotten as close to a title as Tatum.

I don’t think anyone here has labeled Tatum an all time great, just that he is a phenomenally talented young player who has accomplished more than most others in the league. If he wins an NBA title it already sets it up for him to be the best Celtic since Bird. That’s a pretty good compliment to him.

Maybe I've been a bit harsh on him but it's just disappointing to see his inconsistent play. I like Brown's game more.

In spite of what many fans here think, the Celtics are not the league's best team. They might think they are but they sure aren't playing like it.

Not only his talent, his post game interviews this series have been great. Taking accountability, looking to improve, supporting his teammates, and respecting the opponent. He has matured. Not a Boston great yet, but on the way. J Brown is looking great too. Let's hope it is another breakout game today.
I only watch the games and not the pressers, but I thought I read somewhere that Tatum didn't come out for interviews after his game 2 stinkeroo. Is that true?

Maybe I've been a bit harsh on him but it's just disappointing to see his inconsistent play. I like Brown's game more.

In spite of what many fans here think, the Celtics are not the league's best team. They might think they are but they sure aren't playing like it.
I think they are the best team remaining.

Whether they play like it is a different story

I think they are the best team remaining.

Whether they play like it is a different story
When I think of the word great I don't see a player who makes as many errors, poor decisions and bad shots as Tatum. Not even close.

I also don't think a team can label itself great when they haven't won.

The best team is the one holding the trophy at the end.

When I think of the word great I don't see a player who makes as many errors, poor decisions and bad shots as Tatum. Not even close.

I also don't think a team can label itself great when they haven't won.

The best team is the one holding the trophy at the end.
Tatum needs to come up big tonight and play up to his All NBA status.

Fingers crossed for a good game tonight. Frustrating to watch this team's energy be so whimsical. Tatum doesn't strike me as a person who brings energy to the team, though I could be wrong. I just hope whoever is responsible for that really digs deep. It's interesting that this team can seem like the tightest group when on fire, then when they're off it seems like they're a bit disaffected from one another. Very whimsical all around.

His number being 0 is apt because he's a 0 in big game/pressure situations.

Strengthening his reputation as an empty stats guy. What a lamentable first half.

Strengthening his reputation as an empty stats guy. What a lamentable first half.

They're playing with 3 guys when Tatum and Horford are on the floor. Actually impressive they are up 10 points as I post this

They're playing with 3 guys when Tatum and Horford are on the floor. Actually impressive they are up 10 points as I post this
Lamentable game, magnificent finish. Boy did Boston and Tatum need those final few minutes.

Hopefully, this is the game where Boston puts a line in the sand and says no more. Onto 7.

His number being 0 is apt because he's a 0 in big game/pressure situations.
There's a comment in this thread about a game that the C's don't win without Tatum. The fact is that they win as many games in spite of him. This game was playoff exhibit S of that.

I was doing some research to see how many times the all-time greats played against each other. IMO it was a lot tougher to play in a league with less teams. One reason is because the talent level is more concentrated but the other is how many more times Russell played against other top players. The modern players are playing far more games against watered down talent and much less often against the truly greats of their time.

But as I was starting my research I came upon the Pro-Basketball Reference list of all time great players. This is their list:
Abdul Jabbar, LeBron, Wilt, Karl Malone, Jordan, John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Nowitski, Chris Paul. Seriously?!? The fact that there's no mention of either Bird, Magic or Russell (the all time greatest of them all) may help explain the ignorance of younger fans now.

Tatum needs to come up big tonight and play up to his All NBA status.
I haven't watched the game yet but I was going to today. It sounds like Tatum had a horrid start and a great finish.

I haven't watched the game yet but I was going to today. It sounds like Tatum had a horrid start and a great finish.
It was probably the worst shooting night of his entire career for over the first three quarters. He only had 1 point at some stage in the third.

He played dreadful in the first 3 quarters, but he was absolute money and won the game when it mattered. Like ice in his veins stuff.

Yep. Great win.....but downright bizarre.

Loved the move starting RW3....'bout f-ing time.

From what I'm watching (not all games or just parts of them) there's been 2 games in this series Tatum had zero points in the 1st half or got some free throws at the end of it.

I mean, yesterday, apart from the last quarter, it was agonizing to watch so many turnovers and missed shots. I feel the 76ers is a more balanced team and should win the series but game 7 is game 7. They missed a huge opportunity yesterday and may pay the price for that.

Also the Celtics need to figure out their HC situation ASAP, this dude, it seems like nobody listen him.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back