PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jarvis Green - Am I crazy not to be worried about Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K. First let me state that I am well aware of the fact that Seymour is our best Defensive player even though he has yet to have a breakout game because of the constant double teaming he causes,HOWEVER as we all remember in the playoffs a few years ago when Sey was out,Jarvis Green not only adequately filled Sey's position but he constantly was all over Peyton in the playoffs sacking him twice I believe,Because Jarvis in my opinion is a backup that would start on just about every other team in the NFL (which says alot about how good our D-Line is) I am not concerned if Richard is out a few games..I would be worried if he was out more than 2-3 games because Sey's presence only helps our line but I don't think his absence would be a difference in the next 2 upcoming games results.​
I am just guessing here but I doubt if Sey plays this week and maybe not next week against the Dolts,especially being a short week and see him returning in 3 weeks hopefully,but like I said I am not worrying about it...Am I the only one who thinks Jarvis can't more than adequally fill the void for a few weeks?​
In my opinion whether you are a huge Patriots fan like me or not,Jarvis Green is secretly the BEST backup Defensive lineman in the game,bar none - Look at the fact that he does not play as often as our regular starting line but still leads the team in Sacks with 4 1/2 (albeit it was garbage time sacks in those games) - that just about says it all there.​

Green would br a starter on any other team in football. And he does play when they go to a 4-3. I not only like Green but Wright has been contributing a bit, too. If Seymour has to be out I think I.d like to see Wright get some playing time,

I actually just read something to this regard.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=21961&pcid=41

“Sometimes we [Green and Wilfork] don’t even talk, because we know each other. It’s just like with [Deion] Branch and Tom [Brady], they talked about making adjustments just by looking at each other. We can do that now, but it takes years of practice and preparation.”

I'm comfortable with him there. Not happy, but comfortable.

In 2004, when Green stepped in the Pats didn't miss a beat.

That said, in 2005 whn Seymour went down, the defense went to hell.

Now to be fair, we were missing a bunch of other starters, and Starks was starting over Hobbs.

But when Sey cam back, the defense was all of a sudden good again. Coincidentally around the same time Hobbs was put in in place of Starks.

I really wanted to see Seymour in atleast against the Colts. He has already missed the last three games against them. But I think he will miss this one as well.

Pretty much the strongest part of the Vikings is the left side of their OL. I don't like that Seymour is seemingly out for this particular game.

But yeah -- even without Seymour the Pats have a darned good DL.

Jarvis Green is sort of a poor man's Dwight Freeney. I don't think he is quite as good but their technique is similar. Jarvis comes in on passing downs and only has to consider rushing the passer which he is probably the best on the team at. But Jarvis is not a very big guy and if he had to take over 3-4 duties for all 3 downs our Run D would suffer. And I personally believe you can measure a Defense by its run D, if you can stop the run consitently then you can win any game. This is what I fear most about Big Sey being out, the effect on our running game. That said I love Jarvis and think he is the best secret on this Patriots team.

Hopefully, Sey is healthy but we have quality depth there if he needs to miss a little time.

But depth is still depth and Seymour is a dominating force.

This time of year, I don't mind seeing the backups get a little PT.

TeamPats said:
Jarvis Green is sort of a poor man's Dwight Freeney. I don't think he is quite as good but their technique is similar. Jarvis comes in on passing downs and only has to consider rushing the passer which he is probably the best on the team at. But Jarvis is not a very big guy and if he had to take over 3-4 duties for all 3 downs our Run D would suffer. And I personally believe you can measure a Defense by its run D, if you can stop the run consitently then you can win any game. This is what I fear most about Big Sey being out, the effect on our running game. That said I love Jarvis and think he is the best secret on this Patriots team.

He's almost twenty pounds heavier, (according to NFL.com and I don't trust them to keep that up), than Freeney and has played nose tackle.

Not as big as Sey, but not a small 4-3 end either.

I think that we are going to need Sey in the game against the Vikings more that the game against the Colts.

Two reasons: Hutchinson and McKennie. They are big strong and quick off the ball. Jarvis is smaller tha Sey and could be overpowered by these two. It would be much better if Sey went up againts them.

Having said that, I'm sure that Jarvis will play his heart out if he has to start. I would feel better if he was part of a rotation with Sey. But if Sey can't play, then this would be a test for M. Hill to get into that rotation and do something.

Last edited:
I will always want Sey to start and be the beast on the Dline, but if for a few games we have to go with Green. I wont be worried at all. I think Green will play very well till sey comes back.

PATSNUTme said:
I think that we are going to need Sey in the game against the Vikings more that the game against the Colts.

Two reasons: Hutchinson and McKennie. They are big strong and quick off the ball. Jarvis is smaller tha Sey and could be overpowered by these two. It would be much better if Sey went up againts them.

I agree, this is not an ideal matchup for Green. The Vikings play a power running game, espcially to their left. Whoever plays for the Pats will have their hands full, Colvin and Seau are usually on that side on the ball and they will have to bring their A game.

If Seymour can't go then I think we will see Mike Wright on the field for early downs with Green coming in for passing situations. Also K. Smith may be used to spell players from time to time, he can play end or tackle.

Nice that the Pats have such depth, if they can stop the run they will really place the Vikes into a difficult situation.

cstjohn17 said:
I agree, this is not an ideal matchup for Green. The Vikings play a power running game, espcially to their left. Whoever plays for the Pats will have their hands full, Colvin and Seau are usually on that side on the ball and they will have to bring their A game.

If Seymour can't go then I think we will see Mike Wright on the field for early downs with Green coming in for passing situations. Also K. Smith may be used to spell players from time to time, he can play end or tackle.

Nice that the Pats have such depth, if they can stop the run they will really place the Vikes into a difficult situation.

I am thinking that the Pats will play a lot of 4-3 against the Vikings if they feel that the Vikings pass attack is a little banged up this week. Why not bring the pressure and shut down the run?

Ideally, Hill would be the big body to stuff the run at the LOS, but I doubt he will play much at all, so Wright and Green should see plenty of action.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I am thinking that the Pats will play a lot of 4-3 against the Vikings if they feel that the Vikings pass attack is a little banged up this week. Why not bring the pressure and shut down the run?

Ideally, Hill would be the big body to stuff the run at the LOS, but I doubt he will play much at all, so Wright and Green should see plenty of action.
Isn't the 3-4 better against the run? I guess it could depend on the personal but I was always under the impression that the 3-4 was better against the run and the 4-3 was better for a pass rush.

jaychamp said:
Isn't the 3-4 better against the run? I guess it could depend on the personal but I was always under the impression that the 3-4 was better against the run and the 4-3 was better for a pass rush.

That depends on a lot of factors, IMO. When Seymour is in the game, the 3-4 can stop the run, but we don't always have the great pass rush to get to the passer. When we run a 4-3, we have been able to hit the QB and control the LOS. Of course, that is with Seymour.

I think that controlling the LOS will be the key to this game, and I am just guessing that we could use an extra guy at the LOS since Green and Wright are both not as big as Seymour, or as strong.

I think we should pound the crap out of Johnson, not let him get anything going by pressuring him, which Green is good at, and also control the LOS, with an extra guy like Wright.

We'll see what happens in reality. :D

sarge said:
In 2004, when Green stepped in the Pats didn't miss a beat.

That said, in 2005 whn Seymour went down, the defense went to hell.

Now to be fair, we were missing a bunch of other starters, and Starks was starting over Hobbs.

But when Sey cam back, the defense was all of a sudden good again. Coincidentally around the same time Hobbs was put in in place of Starks.

I really wanted to see Seymour in atleast against the Colts. He has already missed the last three games against them. But I think he will miss this one as well.
Sorry sarge, Sey coming back and turning the team around is an urban myth. He stunk it up for a few games until he got himself back up to speed.

There was no one thing that turned that defense around in 2005: Sey getting back up to speed was one. Bruschi coming back and getting up to speed was two. Vrabel making the adjustment from OLB to ILB was three. Wilfork finally "getting it" and turning into the Great Wall of Foxborough was four. Hobbs starting and getting better each game was five. Hawkins making the switch to SS work was six.

Those were the major moves, there were any number of other minor moves that helped make things better too.

As for Jarvis in 2005, he was playing with a bum shoulder most of the season. I don't know if he needed surgery or just rehab, but he was in there playing hurt and did well considering Wilfork's overplaying the middle, the ILBs looking for a clue in a new defense, Rosey Colvin playing next to him and slowly improving his run game from horrible to darned good by the KC game (that's one of the minor "moves" I was mentioning, Rosey was weak against the run in the Oakland opener, but by KC teams had to double team him to get the edge).

For folks worried about Green - don't. As an altenative, BB can also move Wilfork outside and put Wright in at NT. It won't do much for the pass rush, but it puts a bigger obstacle in place for McKinnie and Hutchinson to create running lanes against. I won't be surprised if BB goes 4-3 against this O-line with Hill or Smith rotating in.

You'd think that if Hill were to play, this would be the chance. Get some field time against a team we should be able to beat.

my opinion ? i like R.Seymour and J.Green

still i prefer to see # 93 on the field...

There is a simple answer to the problem here:

Bring back Jonathan Sullivan!

sieglo said:
There is a simple answer to the problem here:

Bring back Jonathan Sullivan!

never say never and honestly i would have loved if he was going , step by step, to have a role with us and , sporadically, to play

but the fact we had too many players before him was not playing in his favour also if i ask myself what about M. Hill ?... Mah...

PATSNUTme said:

Having said that, I'm sure that Jarvis will play his heart out if he has to start. I would feel better if he was part of a rotation with Sey. But if Sey can't play, then this would be a test for M. Hill to get into that rotation and do something.
I absolutely agree. If the pats do not have seymour, they better consider going with a 4 man d-line. If they go with a 3-4 I believe they will get blown right off the ball on green's side by mckinnie and hutchinson. The pats already ahve issues with colvin not setting the edge.

I bet they'll start out with a 3 man line, but before you know it they'll probably have to switch to a 4-3. and don't be surprised to see mike wright in seymour's spot on early running downs and green coming in on passing downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes