PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Plummer on Jim Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchboogie3

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Jake Plummer was on Jim Rome today, discussing Shanahan being fired. Jake thought that Shanahan was "too intense, expected too much from us. You don't need to have 10 perfect bench presses to get something out of it." "We would always be practicing, he'd have us up late in the night studying film, the playbook, we were always working." "He wanted perfection, he wasn't satisfied unless everything was perfect, it was intense". "It is probably his style, and may work with that style" "I don't know how many other teams have their players work so hard, it's just his style". "He sucked the fun out of the game, for me"

How can you complain that your coach is too "intense" or expects too much? He makes you work too hard? Jake was getting paid a TON of money, and he was complaining that he made him work too hard? He wasn't having a ton of fun? He is getting paid to do a JOB! Go ask wallstreet people who work 24/7 to make less than what he did if they "have fun" working around the clock. The difference between Shanahan and Plummer is this: Plummer wants to have fun, Shanahan want's to win.

...another pointless thread comparing contemporary athletics to jobs in the "real world". People complain about their jobs in EVERY walk of life, no matter how soft and cushy they might be. It's part of every work culture. Get over it already!

How can you complain that your coach is too "intense" or expects too much? He makes you work too hard? Jake was getting paid a TON of money, and he was complaining that he made him work too hard? He wasn't having a ton of fun? He is getting paid to do a JOB! Go ask wallstreet people who work 24/7 to make less than what he did if they "have fun" working around the clock. The difference between Shanahan and Plummer is this: Plummer wants to have fun, Shanahan want's to win.

Does this mean that someone working for $20-60k shouldn't bust their ass doing their job, and should just spend all day complaining that it's too much work?

IMO, this is the difference between a guy like Plummer and a guy like Shanahan. But it isn't work ethic or 'fun' that is the difference. I think Jake Plummer was a hard worker who took his job seriously. I don't think he could have gotten where he did if not. NO doubt Shanahan is a hard worker too.
I think that the real difference lies in competiveness and confidence in your abilities.
If you are not as competitive a person you see it as 'extra work' where as the competitive person cannot prepare enough.
If you are confident in your abilities you believe that the extra work has value, because you will make it pay off for you (Education of a Coach says something like 'the truth of film is that the more times you watch it the more you see.) but if you lack that confidence you think you are doing unnecessary work, and feel there is little or no value in it.
I don't think this is a condemnation of Plummers work ethic, I think its an illustration of why Shanahan fell short with Plummer. Shanahan put most of his eggs in the QB basket, and he had a QB who lacked that edge of competitveness and the confidence that a little extra work would mean a little better results.
I think this is a perfect example of why BB and Brady are such a tremendous fit, because both are ultimately competitive and confident.
Being a workaholic does not produce any more success in and of itself. Many workaholics simply spread a full days work into a day and a half ad ultimately get less done than the next guy because they think time worked equals work done. Being someone who VALUES work produces success, because the work is productive in that you attack it seeing value in it, and the competitive nature that goes along with it causes you to need to accomplish the goal of the extra work rather than just being there and later complaining about it.
Just my opinion, relating real life to the NFL.

every yer he played with AZ he throw more INT then TD he had the best yers he every had stats wise and wins where all in denver maybe if he did study more he would have been a good QB thats why brady and manning are great and great every yer cause they work and study hard

Does this mean that someone working for $20-60k shouldn't bust their ass doing their job, and should just spend all day complaining that it's too much work?

No, my point was just that, generally, the more/harder you work, the more you get paid. Also, the more money you are offered, the hard/more you should work. Someone making $60K a year probably doesn't have the workload of someone making $160K a year (generalization).

Jake Plummer was on Jim Rome today, discussing Shanahan being fired. Jake thought that Shanahan was "too intense, expected too much from us. You don't need to have 10 perfect bench presses to get something out of it." "We would always be practicing, he'd have us up late in the night studying film, the playbook, we were always working." "He wanted perfection, he wasn't satisfied unless everything was perfect, it was intense". "It is probably his style, and may work with that style" "I don't know how many other teams have their players work so hard, it's just his style". "He sucked the fun out of the game, for me"

Jake you slacker, entitled whining puke, think! Bug eyed intense Shanny brought out the most productivity in your sad career, you moron.

-phil (saying this w/o the bigger Plummer standing next to him)

...another pointless thread comparing contemporary athletics to jobs in the "real world". People complain about their jobs in EVERY walk of life, no matter how soft and cushy they might be. It's part of every work culture. Get over it already!

why be a douche bag about it?

Am I the only one who has thought of the fact that Shanahan's uber-preparedness did not, for the most part, work? For all the glory he (and mostly Elway and Terrell Davis) brought to Denver, he didn't win a thing in his last ten years there. They had one good run (interestingly, with Jake Plummer) post-Elway. Shanahan is a solid coach, in the upper tier of NFL coaches, but the reputation that he has does not match his production. His teams were not consistent after Elway left and they were often among the league's most penalized. He had a penchant for bringing in clowns who couldn't fly straight by the law. He also, you know, acquired Plummer, despite him not being a true competitor, as he is described here. Shanahan had the Pats' number, no doubt, but overall he had a final decade as a head coach that he was lucky to have. Just thought I'd add a little perspective here to the Plummer bashing. By the way, not a big Jake the Snake guy here, I just find it interesting how Shanahan's reputation is pristine, when he won 1 playoff game over his last ten years as a head coach and went 24-24 his last 3 years. Shanahan doesn't need people making any excuses for him; he's had enough made for him over the years.

Last edited:
I agree, I was in no ways trying to make a statement as to Shanahan's success. I just thought it was pretty sad to see Jake complain about Shanahan's work ethic. He might not have been a legend, but that doesn't mean he was wrong, or a bad coach. He certainly didn't get fired because he "worked to much" or "expected to much from the guys".

Am I the only one who has thought of the fact that Shanahan's uber-preparedness did not, for the most part, work?
Some may have thought it for a second, but they discarded it and stuck to the belief that being less prepared and accepting mediocre play in practice does not correlate to more W's in the WIN column.

Practice does not make perfert. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Ugh, Jake the guy has two Super Bowl rings and you don't even have a winning record for even one year in college or the pros......I think I know who I'd listen to....

Am I the only one who has thought of the fact that Shanahan's uber-preparedness did not, for the most part, work? For all the glory he (and mostly Elway and Terrell Davis) brought to Denver, he didn't win a thing in his last ten years there. They had one good run (interestingly, with Jake Plummer) post-Elway. Shanahan is a solid coach, in the upper tier of NFL coaches, but the reputation that he has does not match his production. His teams were not consistent after Elway left and they were often among the league's most penalized. He had a penchant for bringing in clowns who couldn't fly straight by the law. He also, you know, acquired Plummer, despite him not being a true competitor, as he is described here. Shanahan had the Pats' number, no doubt, but overall he had a final decade as a head coach that he was lucky to have. Just thought I'd add a little perspective here to the Plummer bashing. By the way, not a big Jake the Snake guy here, I just find it interesting how Shanahan's reputation is pristine, when he won 1 playoff game over his last ten years as a head coach and went 24-24 his last 3 years. Shanahan doesn't need people making any excuses for him; he's had enough made for him over the years.

To Shanahan's credit, he still did something with John Elway that Dan Reeve's never could. IMO Plummer was always overrated.

Jake can say this now that he is retired at the age of 32. He didn't complain then so don't get him wrong. If he did he wouldn't of been on the Broncos for as long as he was.

My favorite part of the interview was him praising McDaniels and wondering why Cutler would want to leave

Last edited:
that why he's playing hand ball these days! he's a hippie

No, my point was just that, generally, the more/harder you work, the more you get paid.

Thats absolutely friggen ridiculous.

If we're talking within one career path, year, but there are people out there making $25K a year who work a lot harder than some people making $400K a year.

The guy retires at 32 and he questions above average work ethics....wow

No, my point was just that, generally, the more/harder you work, the more you get paid. Also, the more money you are offered, the hard/more you should work. Someone making $60K a year probably doesn't have the workload of someone making $160K a year (generalization).

No. I don't agree with this AT ALL...

I know multi-millionaires that barely work 40 hours a week.

Time has no bearing.

Wisdom is the key...

Learning what does work, and what doesn't work, is key...

I believe in constant learning.

Thats absolutely friggen ridiculous.

If we're talking within one career path, year, but there are people out there making $25K a year who work a lot harder than some people making $400K a year.

All you have to look at is this:

Do slaves work harder than their masters?

:D

You already know the answer...

Think about it.

...only if you're fighting for slave wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe