SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Is anybody worried about our 'corner' problem?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NEPatriot, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +12
    Having Camper is one thing and having a good player is another thing. Our opponents exploit our 'corner' weakness to score in the past few years. Until we fix this problem in this season, we are not going anywhere any soon.

Are you worried?

2. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +934
    The last 4 Super Bowl champs have done it with below average or unproven corners. I am no more worried than I have been the past few years.

3. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,976
    Let me ask you this obviously we did not have the end results we are looking for the past few seasons but what about the secondary those years would make you say the statement "WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE ANYTIME SOON"

The secondary in the past helped us get somewhere even if the ending was not the pinnacle.

Yes the secondary may appear to be a little weaker than last year but I think that if we play the way we have the last few seasons we will be going somewhere and I don't think slightly less play out of the secondary will prevent that. In the end we need to "FINSH" though. And the mantra "Finish" applys to all units not just the secondary.

4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2
    No more worried than you would be with say Hank Poteat and Earthwind Moreland as our corners? We've had some lesser talents there in the past and always seem to get by with the excellence of the front 7.

Even Ty Pooles career was reignited by BB's schemes, although the same cant be said for that stick in the grass, everyone so fondly remembers- Duane Starks.

5. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +63
    Let me put it this way: We won the Super Bowl in 2004 with Randall Gay starting and Earthwind Moreland and Hank Poteat seeing serious minutes. And it's one game into the pre-season. As for "Our opponents exploit our 'corner' weakness to score in the past few years," I don't know what you're referring to. At all.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +12
    Remembering the last drive of Giants in the last SB game? How about a 16 th game of last season?

our championship game in a previous version?

7. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +22
    You are pointing one game (which the team won) of an undefeated season as proof that the secondary is subpar?

As far as the last drive went, did you watch the game? Did you see that perhaps the Dline ought to have sacked Eli? That perhaps a key catch was a fluke, and perhaps not the drive upon which to change the makeup of the team?

8. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21,679
    we would have been fine if asante samuel decided not to take off the last two minutes of that game. i'm not just talking about the missed interception.

9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,753
    It would be nice if people didn't just make blanket statements in a poor attempt to prove their point.

1) The last drive by the Giants in the SB had 3 issues. The first was that Hobbs was playing with two pretty serious injuries and Randall Gay hadn't proven he could do the job anymore. The second was, as someone else said, the fact that Asante Samuel basically didn't play that drive.. He might have been on the field, but it was clear he wasn't giving his best effort. And lastly, Mike Carey, the referee, said after the game he should have called Manning down. But that was the D-line not brining Manning down that was the issue..

2) The AFC Championship game against the Colts was a result of not having a capable player to cover the TE. That's the LBers job. Not a CB.

10. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +3
    There were clearly problems with our secondary toward the last half of the season last year. The fact that we had two old inside linebackers may have contributed to that, but our secondary lacked speed. Sanders? Not a real quick guy. Neither is Harrison. Hobbs was our fastest corner last year; Samuel is good, but he gets lazy way too much, and jumps routes. That's why they drafted Meriweather.

BB took a lot of small, but quick, cornerbacks in the draft, as he always has. In the end, if we can generate pressure with the front seven--and I think we'll have a better pass rush this year--the secondary will eventually fall into place.

We are less experienced this year, but we are faster.

11. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0
    Look....this isn't about corner backs.Like it or not BB likes small,speedy cb's,who can tackle.

He doesn't want them covering all day.Hobbs did yeoman's work last year.

The end,last year,was about Colvin,Seymour,
    Vrabel,AD and Tedy.

Now,hopefully,we have Seymour back,AD in the right role,and Mayo in the pipeline.

Remember Belichick's mantra that "sacks are overrated"....why?....because they are.

It's pressure and scheme that are way more important to corner back play.

I think Sey and AD are going to have monster years on the right side of the line.
    This will result in more agressive play from the RCB and SS.

12. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +7,688
    I dont think anyone has exploited our corners since 05 when Starks was there.
    The last 2 years, the only exploiting was coverage of some of the LBs, Safeties, and nickelback.

What 'problem' has to be fixed for an 18-1 team to 'go anywhere soon'?

IMO, our secondary will be better this year than it was last, it was superb last year.

13. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,989
    I'm not sure I understand this thread, given that the CB corps and the DB coaching have been completely overhauled for this season. What do you think hasn't been fixed? Are you dubious about the new players? If so, which and why? (Not to say that there's no reason for concern, I just honestly don't know what you're asking.)

14. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22
    yeah the corners are pretty short.

I know this one guy who hates short corners.

I'm not sure what we can do about that though.:singing:

15. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +12
    In 16th game, Giants scored a TD at a corner. In SB, they did the same at the 'same' corner.

Did it not bother you at all when it hapened 'twice'?

16. LeonPowe

LeonPowe Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm awful sick of all the Hobbs bashing. The Super Bowl loss can be attributed to many other things besides him.

17. LeonPowe

LeonPowe Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Tom Brady's play being one of those "things", by the way.

18. JoePats

JoePats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2
    The guy got knocked on his keester every time he dropped back to pass. He had no time to do anything. Yes he missed a throw or two, and it wasn't his best game ever but I thought he played well considering. The offensive line getting destroyed by the Giants 4-man DL was the reason the game was lost. There was no pass protection, there was no running game. And Brady did lead what probably should have been the game winning drive with two and a half minutes left.

19. RayClay

RayClay Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +11,771
    I think Wheatley and Fernando will be fine and I thought Sanders looked good (plus he has safety size).

Throw in a healthy Hobbs, Richardson (my instinct) and maybe Wilhite/Webster and I'll take it over an injured Hobbs, not quite in shape Samuel and Gay.

20. RayClay

RayClay Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +11,771
    I'm not sure about Hobbs eventual best position (nickel?) but it's been revealed he was playing his heart out with serious injuries.

Football players are often injured.

Please do not bash injured players as if they are healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.