PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine Some Of Things Charlie Could've Done With Our O This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haterproof

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The Pats offense is remarkable this year.I was just thinking about some of things Charlie could've done if he still was our OC this season.

The Pats offense is remarkable this year.I was just thinking about some of things Charlie could've done if he still was our OC this season.
What? Like Moss on a triple reverse? :rolleyes: I kid, I kid.... but I'm having a perfectly fine time watching what McDaniels does with this offense this year.

Moss, single WR, out of a 3 TE power set? Twice for TDs? Umm.... wow.

Charlie was exceptional at making something out of nothing, but I don't think he would do any better with this group.

What? Like Moss on a triple reverse? :rolleyes: I kid, I kid.... but I'm having a perfectly fine time watching what McDaniels does with this offense this year.

Moss, single WR, out of a 3 TE power set? Twice for TDs? Umm.... wow.

Really this is the type of offense McDaniels has always wanted to run, the Patriots just gave him the weapons to really use it this year. I've given the guy a hard time in the past because I've thought he should have tried some different things in certain situations, but I can't complain about his play calls through the second week of the 2007 season. I don't think NE's offense would have been any better in those two games with Weis as the OC. Now, we'll have to see how things go during the remainder of the season.

Agree with the above posters and I really can't see how a Charlie coached offense would do any better with this unit than that of McDaniels. It's not as if Charlie's playcalling never drove Pats fans, myself included, up the wall when he'd often go four wide, three and out while protecting a lead in the fourth quarter.

We're averaging 38 points per game . . . why do some people long for a different Offensive Coordinator ?

:confused:

Let's not get carried away. Think back to all the times we'd be climbing the walls because of a play call or non-call when Weis was OC.

McDaniels has shown he deserves to be among the top OCs in the game with his performance from last season. Given the new toys he's playing with this season, he's simply stepping on the accelerator. I have complete faith in the current coaching staff and have no desire to visit the past.

Weis is overrated. He hasn't scored a TD in three games for the Fraudulant Irish. I'm happy with what we got. Weis would have become arrogant with this offense and gotten us in trouble.

But it's only 31 offensive.
True but :

1) We all know we would have scored more if we'd needed to. 31 PPG offensively with no sense of urgency.

2) When comparing points scored at the end of the season, everyone just looks at points. Let's see how many points we score compared to other seasons.

But it's only 31 offensive.

Yeah, but that's more like 34 if you look at the one possession per game they had taken away from them by those TDs. :)

True but :

1) We all know we would have scored more if we'd needed to. 31 PPG offensively with no sense of urgency.

2) When comparing points scored at the end of the season, everyone just looks at points. Let's see how many points we score compared to other seasons.

Don't talk back to me. I told you, 31 oppg is embarrasing man.

Don't talk back to me. I told you, 31 oppg is embarrasing man.
LOL, I got your sarcasm, just wanted to point out a few things. Damn those two punts we've had to do ;)

Imagining, imagining... Gil Santos voice ringing in my ears now...

"Brady drops back to pass, there's Randy Moss, streaking down the sideline! And there's the hand-off to the fullback, Heath Evans powers his way forward for 2 yards, bringing up 3rd down and 7. Back to back draw plays to the fullback, Gino, a staple of the Charlie Weis offense."

Seriously, Charlie was great for this team when they needed to run a more conservative offense sprinkled with gadget plays to compliment a dominant defense. I'll stick with McDaniels.

Imagine what the pats offense would be like if they weren't cheating?

Really this is the type of offense McDaniels has always wanted to run, the Patriots just gave him the weapons to really use it this year. I've given the guy a hard time in the past because I've thought he should have tried some different things in certain situations, but I can't complain about his play calls through the second week of the 2007 season. I don't think NE's offense would have been any better in those two games with Weis as the OC. Now, we'll have to see how things go during the remainder of the season.

I can't complain either. NEM and I started to get into it when it was First and Goal on the six yardline, near the end of the first half of the Jests game. JM sent the RB up the middle twice for a total of about three yards. Nem was upset but they scored on the next on a Pass from TB to Watson. Meanwhile he burned two minutes and a Jets timeout off the clock so there was not enough time for the Jets to answer with a score before the half.

Even NEM conceded it was brilliant play calling AND great Strategic clock management, in retrospect....

Can we merge this with the "A Little Love for Skippy" thread I started?

....the one that is rapidly swirling down the crapper in a clock-wise motion?

The mood sure is a lot better around here now that spygate is in the rear view mirror.

And a bitter Jester fan shows up - isn't he cute :singing:

I'm not bitter. You guys have a great team, probably the best team I've seen in a long time in the NFL. You have Brady who when all is said and done may go down as the best qb ever. You have an offensive line that the average fan probably can't name one guy yet right now they are probably the best line in the league. Mankins and Koppen are just great lineman.

The skill players with Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Welker, Stallworth, Moss, Watson, Brady, Dave Thomas and so on is really a solid group that gives your offense the ability to go from 5 wide to 3 tight ends and show a defense multiple looks that other teams can't do.

The Pats defense is as good as it gets. The three lineman (Seymour, Wilfork and Warren) can get pressure by themselves which is unheard of. It's almost like the pats are playing with an extra player they are so good. They make everyone else behind them that much better. You can't say enough of players like Bruschi, Vrabel, Samuel etc...

What I don't understand is that you guys have the best team, why would Belichick continue to cheat? Clearly multiple teams had knowledge that the Pats were doing something. After you win 3 superbowls and you have Brady why not stop so that you don't risk something like this?

If ever there was an example of people elevating coaches over players in the NFL, this is it.

Any half-way competent NFL OC could run this offense and make it look good. Give McD credit for helping to develop and draft the players, but the playcalling ... pah. When you've got Moss, Stallworth, and Welker on the outside, Brady at QB, Maroney and Morris running behind a really good O-line, and a dynamic TE who can make plays, who cares who's calling the plays?

It's early, but this could be one of the great teams ever assembled. Just sit back and enjoy. The 2007 Patriots could be one of those teams that get mentioned for a long time.

"I mean, they're not the 2007 Patriots, but they're pretty good."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes