PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holy Crap..Browns to fire Savage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard that too. Insane...

I just saw this myself and was about to post it here

This has just got to be a personality clash between the GM and the CEO and owner - because IMO its way too soon to draw any conclusions on Savage and his selections (and indeed - he didn't do a bad job with the Ravens)

That being said, anytime there is a difference of opinion between a coach, GM and the owner, the owner is going to win every time

That IMO doesn't bode well for Cleveland and Romeo's chances to turn things around if he's got a meddling owner

The Patriots are great because Kraft hires the best people he can and lets them do the work - it doesn't seem like Randy Lerner is cut from the same cloth - and that;s got to be a concern for Romeo and any decent GM candidate

re:

Savage helped make some greats picks while at Baltimore. Shocking that he got canned already in Cleveland.

Romeo's job just got a lot harder without a good personnel guy.

Maybe Savage can get a job with the 49ers, Texans, Saints, or Lions after the season.

Last edited:
PatsChick87 said:
Wow! Salary cap management? :eek:
It really makes no sense. How can he be judged in ONE year? AND...inheriting existing players and salaries whom the previous GM hosed up while mis-managing the salary cap. Insane...

I can't see the sense of this crazy GM-Coach division in the first place -- I'm with Parcells: if you want the guy to cook dinner, you have to let him buy the groceries. But, given that you have a new GM-Head Coach team in place, how on earth can you fire one of them after only a season?

Here's my question. What would you do if you were Romeo?

Last edited:
Im not that surprised.
GM was a big step up for him. Its not uncommon that you figure out in a year that someone isnt as well equiiped for the job they have never held before as you thought they were.

"Philosophical differences" says it isn't about what he did in a year, but that ownership didn't agree with his ideas for the future.

It's not for sure but it is expected. Here's the best source :

http://browns.scout.com/2/483847.html

FWIW, this is probably good for Romeo as he was the choice of the owner, Savage wanted Mike Nolan.

AndyJohnson said:
"Philosophical differences" says it isn't about what he did in a year, but that ownership didn't agree with his ideas for the future.
Your buying that? That's the standard FU and don't let the door hit you... I'm sure their was some kind of arguement...words were said...and that's it.

Zuma said:
Your buying that? That's the standard FU and don't let the door hit you... I'm sure their was some kind of arguement...words were said...and that's it.

Well, according to the Dawgtalk threads, Jim Brown (who has immense kudos there, obviously) has said that the issue is: will Savage allow other voices in to contract negotiations? If so, Savage stays. Brown is very positive about the ownership (which is more than the Browns fans appear to be).

Zuma said:
It really makes no sense. How can he be judged in ONE year? AND...inheriting existing players and salaries whom the previous GM hosed up while mis-managing the salary cap. Insane...
Exactly! Dosn't look good for Romeo :(

BelichickFan said:

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=113&threadID=2916840&lastPostID=17647843

Apparently the owner wants ROMEO to have some voice in personnel decisions.

So Savage was given the choice of sharing the decision making process or getting fired, and he chose the former.

My major concern when Romeo went to Cleveland was that SAVAGE would not get the kinds of players Romeo wants.

From his years with Baltimore, Savage was getting players with questionable characters, like Jamal Lewis and Ray Lewis.

In contrast, Romeo covets hard-working and great guys like Bruschi, Vrabel and McGinnest.

So this is GOOD NEWS for ROMEO.

How is this good news? He loses a GM that aquires alot of talent. Keep in mind, RAC is new to the HC job so I doubt he'll be able to handle being a GM as well. IMO, Romeo is screwed.

It's only good for Romeo if he has de facto control over the GM, or at least a say in who's hired.

why does anyone think savage did anything great? newsome made the calls on the baltimore drafts, not savage... i think romeo is a lot better off from this; getting more control...
savage has only been a gm for one draft, cleveland '05.. he did ok; nothing great, nothing terrible

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
why does anyone think savage did anything great? newsome made the calls on the baltimore drafts, not savage... i think romeo is a lot better off from this; getting more control...
savage has only been a gm for one draft, cleveland '05.. he did ok; nothing great, nothing terrible

Savage was JUST a SCOUT with Baltimore.

He has NO experience working the salary cap.

I thought he acted like a know-in-all when he went to Cleveland.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye