PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hip Drop Tackle Banned

Lol, good luck enforcing this, refs
I think it's kind of an easy thing to see.

I remember commenting here on seeing this type of tackle more often. I'm glad it's being banned.

If it were not for these "capitalists" you whine about, they'd be working a chamois at some car wash.
I don't get that either. Capitalism has been very successful.

I don't remember seeing that tackle much in the past. It looks new to me. But so does a cell phone :).

I don't like the looks of it. The player being tackled is as vulnerable as any player could be.

A few things to mention, not really in favor or against, just general thoughts after reading about this the past few days:

1) The NFL cited roughly 100 instances of hip drop tackles last year. Not to take the NFL completely at it's word, but that would be 100 out of over 33,000 tackles that would actually be a penalty.

2) It seems like similar objections were made about the horsecollar tackle when that was banned.

3) There's some question as to whether this is actually going to be flagged a lot on Sundays, or more of a fine after the fact.

All in all, I get where defensive players are coming from, but I'm guessing they'll be able to adjust.

Glad it's banned. It was cheap. It's similar to a horse collar. Young players need to watch tape of the generations before them on how to tackle.

I agree with this. I think they need to make the contact penalties reviewable, because too many legal hits are being called fouls, but this looks to me like the kind of play that could cause serious hip injuries if they are that close there’s no reason they can’t just wrap them up and take them down in a regular tackle.

A few things to mention, not really in favor or against, just general thoughts after reading about this the past few days:

1) The NFL cited roughly 100 instances of hip drop tackles last year. Not to take the NFL completely at it's word, but that would be 100 out of over 33,000 tackles that would actually be a penalty.

2) It seems like similar objections were made about the horsecollar tackle when that was banned.

3) There's some question as to whether this is actually going to be flagged a lot on Sundays, or more of a fine after the fact.

All in all, I get where defensive players are coming from, but I'm guessing they'll be able to adjust.
Like the horse collar tackles I don’t like plays that bend players over backwards in really awkward positions, I think they can really **** up a players back, hips, or knees.

Zero chance that this doesn't decide games this season.

25% higher injury rate ... the old NFL I Ioved ... it's gone so why *****.
It's all about the revenue stream now ... helps players also as the salary cap goes up.
players being injured for weeks ... it's not all bad for fans and league $$$.

If it were not for these "capitalists" you whine about, they'd be working a chamois at some car wash.

Lmao, that's the most domesticated-ass take I can imagine. I mean I entirely agree with your take on football being an inherently violent sport, and it's silly to disguise it as anything else, but uh... I'm pretty sure people are funneled into violent sports because of those 32 bum-ass owners who value money/empire over health. The same type of folk who cried about NILs.

Anyway, to the topic: this rule, like many, could potentially be good for safety and still preserve what little is left of hard defense, but as has been noted - it's _all_ about enforcement.

Concussion protocol is a really great idea - given our understanding of CTE, the likelihood for tau protein bundling after repeated concussions within small time frames, creating a measure to significantly reduce that risk is important.

Yet we still got the scary Tua situation two seasons back. Everyone in the league and every single fan said "uh yeah what the **** do not put this man in the field."

It's all about application.

I don't remember seeing that tackle much in the past. It looks new to me. But so does a cell phone :).

I don't like the looks of it. The player being tackled is as vulnerable as any player could be.
Agree. I started noticing somewhere around 2021 or 2022. Teams that did this a lot were the 49ers, Ravens, Cowboys or any player that wore one color socks up to their knees.

Lmao, that's the most domesticated-ass take I can imagine. I mean I entirely agree with your take on football being an inherently violent sport, and it's silly to disguise it as anything else, but uh... I'm pretty sure people are funneled into violent sports because of those 32 bum-ass owners who value money/empire over health. The same type of folk who cried about NILs.

Anyway, to the topic: this rule, like many, could potentially be good for safety and still preserve what little is left of hard defense, but as has been noted - it's _all_ about enforcement.

Concussion protocol is a really great idea - given our understanding of CTE, the likelihood for tau protein bundling after repeated concussions within small time frames, creating a measure to significantly reduce that risk is important.

Yet we still got the scary Tua situation two seasons back. Everyone in the league and every single fan said "uh yeah what the **** do not put this man in the field."

It's all about application.

Well, this requires a more rigorous discussion - one we will of course not have, neither here nor as a nation - but here are a few thoughts:

Work is activity for which we are paid because we would not do it for free. That's the deal. Work, that is, exacts a price in time, in stress, sometimes in injury, in loss of autonomy, and so on. We are compensated for these sacrifices, for these losses. We "make a living"; we earn a living. Work creates value: a lump of ore becomes an engine block, a pile of wood becomes a home, a man with a knack for violence becomes a millionaire, and so on. Work, that is redounds to the general good (or can: whether it serves the general good that we can watch knuckledraggers collide is another question) beyond what it offers the worker in the form of compensation.

Those who arrange situations in which we are compensated for work which then redounds to the general good are known as capitalists. Weaklings of various stripes love to whine about this. As we are now a nation in decline, such whiners are more abundant than they once were. The rationalization for these decadent failings typically takes the form of a sort of childish rendition of Marxist thought under which anybody who requires us to do anything is "exploiting" us. We are "victims" of "oppression" by "the bad man."

On a more philosophical level, we have lost faith in the possibility of what Locke called "enlightened" self interest. We read all self-interest other than our own, of course, as selfishness. Our inability to see the distinction will be fatal to our freedoms and to our autonomy.

The attitude particularly among the young is that work is an evil, an imposition to avoided if at all possible, creating the following prospect: Work will not get done, products and services will be of lesser quality and available at a higher cost. We will pay others in more vigorous nations to do our work for us, or we will import workers to do our work for us here at home. We will import "barbarians," that is, as the declining Romans did, to do what we have grown too soft to do for ourselves. We will shift from production to consumption and, as we no longer produce anything to offer in exchange, we will sell our capital assets to the still productive nations - our land, our core industries, and so on. We see this in the news every day.

We are seeking a free lunch. There is no such thing, not in the long run.

We shall see how this sort of simpering horseshit works out for us.

It won't. Look around: it isn't. As the young in other nations learn how to - work - our young people stare down their shorts in bafflement over their choice of gender that week. They do calculus: we do TikTok. They get busy rebuilding their fallen bridges. We wring our hands over whom we might blame and wallow in the event as an occasion for weepy enjoyment of a human interest story.

So there's a little Jeremiad of a Thursday mornin'. Now I have work to do. I shall expect the usual insulting deflections. Whatever. GFY.

Well, this requires a more rigorous discussion - GFY.

Hey, what I do in between the hours of 8PM-7AM is none of your business, buddy :rofl:

But, I think you're prolly correct in that the discussion isn't going to be had in this thread (at the very least to not give the mods another headache), but I will always entertain such a discussion another time, where I can bring up things like coercive competition, the aggressive creation of markets in the face of a dwindling rate of profit, the violence of market permanence, etc., - let's just say it's really good for the NFL that their player's union is absolute trash. Always enjoy discussing these things, especially with folks who have a different view.

So, with that said, GFY.

In the minority again I like this move. Lots of people out of the woodwork screaming at clouds like every time someone proposes new things

. Meanwhile this tackle is dangerous enough that even most of them admit the league should at least look at it.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back