PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell has no plans to reduce suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is being a politician here. By throwing some words of praise at Brady, he seems magnanimous. He seems like he has no bias or agenda. He seems like he is above the fray.

Of course, it all just more of the same load of total bull he has been spewing for months, but that's the point of him commenting.
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 6h6 hours ago
Stephanie Stradley retweeted Josh Smith

HA. Contrast public statements Goodell re Brady v what he said re Bountygate players. Trying to avoid Vilma lawsuits

Stephanie Stradley added,

Josh Smith @MassAttack05
"He's a great young man". Yeah he's 38. https://twitter.com/stephstradley/status/630076580883136512…

The NFL just continues to make it up as they go along. It's sickening that they are getting away with this nonsense.

Goodell keeps moving the goalposts depending on the situation, and everyone outside of NE stands back and applauds him.

Prepare for selected "leaks" and snippets of propaganda prior to Wednesday's Court Date... the NFL needs to turn the current tide after the release of the current transcript...

Damage control is in full force and effect..

This seems to be where the Article 46ers are going astray. Nobody has the authority to do whatever they want.
And Goodell thinks he does. I can only imagine the contempt he has for Judge Berman now, and how dare he question what he, the commissioner, has decided.

Prepare for selected "leaks" and snippets of propaganda prior to Wednesday's Court Date... the NFL needs to turn the current tide after the release of the current transcript...

Damage control is in full force and effect..
I would love for them to do that and really test Judge Berman's patience. I'd hope even they aren't hat stupid, but they always seem to think they're the smartest guys in the room. Oddly enough, with 95%+ of the people following the story, they have been.

I would love for them to do that and really test Judge Berman's patience. I'd hope even they aren't hat stupid, but they always seem to think they're the smartest guys in the room. Oddly enough, with 95%+ of the people following the story, they have been.
I hope they are that stupid, that they go crazy with a last minute propaganda assault and royally insult Berman's sense of authority. Then let Berman drop the hammer on them.

I am actually wondering if they know they are going to lose so they are posturing and planning on appealing the decision and dragging this out for another year or so.

Actually, you most certainly can. Every time an NDA is signed the signer is signing away his first amendment rights to say whatever he wants, for example.
That's a bit of a stretch.

That's a bit of a stretch.

More than a bit. It's comically inaccurate. No one goes to jail for violating an NDA.

I am actually wondering if they know they are going to lose so they are posturing and planning on appealing the decision and dragging this out for another year or so.

The Peterson case is still currently "under appeal" for whatever that's worth. At this rate, even it it plays out just as you say, Brady will never miss a game, and will likely be retired by the time the case reaches a conclusion.

More than a bit. It's comically inaccurate. No one goes to jail for violating an NDA.

The Peterson case is still currently "under appeal" for whatever that's worth. At this rate, even it it plays out just as you say, Brady will never miss a game, and will likely be retired by the time the case reaches a conclusion.

While an appeal by the NFL will take time it won't take 3-4 years, and Brady will play at least that long imo. I'm not naive enough to think there is no way Brady could lose either this judgement or an appeal of it but it would take some seriously f.cked up jurisprudence for it to go that way.

If I don't sign the NDA I can say X with no consequences.

If I sign an NDA and say I won't say X then if I say X I will be hauled into court and ordered to pay damages, and if I refuse to pay I will be jailed for contempt.

So how is signing an NDA not signing away my 1st amendment rights in that area?

@JDonaldsonProJo: Some #NFL owners putting pressure on #RogerGoodell to settle embarrassing #Deflategate case https://t.co/33e5tGyAOy via @projo

If I sign an NDA and say I won't say X then if I say X I will be hauled into court and ordered to pay damages, and if I refuse to pay I will be jailed for contempt.

The Actual First Amendment said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. - See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment1.html#sthash.Yu8g6w3h.dpuf

That means the government can't throw you in jail for saying something against the government.

The first amendment is a criminal matter, not civil, which is what an NDA is. You don't give up your rights, you don't get thrown in jail for contempt if you don't pay. Collections, maybe, and you'd have to go through the hassle of fighting it in court, but you don't go to jail.

Unless you work for like, the NSA or something, and then there's classified material involved. Classified material is obviously an exception to the 1st amendment.

Last I checked, no one in the NFL deals with anything classified.

How so?

In way, they are still positioning themselves? A lot can happen before 8/12/15 or nothing can happen and the judge will be pissed. The real issue isn't about the number of suspension days but that's what Goodell wants it to be. The real issues are about the violation of the CBA rules the excessive punishment without proof and trumped up charges to justify the punishment.

Quarterback's most precious tool is the football. Nothing happens to the footballs that the QB doesn't know about. In my mind, a some point in Brady's career with the Pats he talked to someone about how he likes the footballs. What he said was he never talked to anyone before the 2015 AFCCG game. So the league is saying he must have known sometime about the ball deflation to 12.5 but they are suggesting a lower PSI than that. That's BS on the part of the NFL.

The judge has to separate the punishment from the case to the violation and CBS procedures. if he does Brady wins. If he says split the 4 to 2 and move on, then there will be an appeal with hopefully the penalty set aside, Brady will play until the courts resolve the issue. Hopefully not during this season and the post season.

Just my thoughts.

Based on this comment and your follow-up ones, I think it's safe to assume you have absolutely no experience with judges, courts, or the legal system at all.

The judge specifically gave an order that both sides work on a a settlement. Goodell's statement that "I have no intention of reducing Tom Brady's suspension" contradicts the judge's order. In fact, it says that Goodell has no intention of negotiating at all. Again, against the judge's order.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the fact that both sides were given specific orders to work it out and to tone down the rhetoric. Goodell's statement is a violation of that order and, at the very least, will result in a thorough tongue lashing from the judge.. Depending on Goodell's reaction to the judge, the judge could order Goodell arrested on the spot for Contempt of Court. Which would be a huge blow to Herr Goodell because that would be the 2nd contempt charge he'd be facing and could actually cause him to miss his court appearance on Thursday..

The first Amendment deals with what the government can do to you, not what a private citizen can do if you reach an agreement FOR COMPENSATION then violate the terms of the agreement.
Not even close.

The first amendment is a criminal matter, not civil

The First Amendment is most assuredly not exclusively "a criminal matter". For example, the reason that public figures like Brady have a much higher standard to meet when alleging defamation (you know -- a civil matter) is precisely because of the First Amendment -- SCOTUS has ruled the First Amendment requires making it significantly harder for public figures to win defamation cases.

Based on this comment and your follow-up ones, I think it's safe to assume you have absolutely no experience with judges, courts, or the legal system at all.
Do you? Thats a serious question, because you imply that you do, and that may influence how I weigh your responses.

The judge specifically gave an order that both sides work on a a settlement. Goodell's statement that "I have no intention of reducing Tom Brady's suspension" contradicts the judge's order. In fact, it says that Goodell has no intention of negotiating at all. Again, against the judge's order.
Thats not really true. The judge suggested that they work on a settlement. Strongly suggested it. He did not order it, meaning he cannot penalize either party for being in contempt if they chose not to. Also, he did not suggest that either party need to give something away if they feel it is unjust. For example, he is not telling Brady that he has to admit guilt or accept a suspension, or he is violating an order of the court.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the fact that both sides were given specific orders to work it out and to tone down the rhetoric. Goodell's statement is a violation of that order and, at the very least, will result in a thorough tongue lashing from the judge.. Depending on Goodell's reaction to the judge, the judge could order Goodell arrested on the spot for Contempt of Court. Which would be a huge blow to Herr Goodell because that would be the 2nd contempt charge he'd be facing and could actually cause him to miss his court appearance on Thursday..
That is not accurate.

Because the fact that there are consequences - even legal consequences - isn't a change from the rights provided by the first amendment. If I walk into my bosses office and rip into him, I can be fired. If I slander someone, that can certainly have legal repercussions. Hell, even the state can bring charges against me if my "free" speech involves threats on someone's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST