PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore: "My People finally going to get to see me play on tv."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be okay with it if his selfish desire to be recognized as a superstar motivates him to play more like one now that he is on a bigger stage.

Debbie Downer post of the day:

I'm not fully sold on the Gilmore hype just yet, either. I know the potential is there, but I want to see it in action before automatically assuming a top 3 secondary, etc. He had a down year last year, so I'll hop aboard the hype train if/when he's living up to it. Hopefully, he's part of a great secondary for years to come, but I'm still kind of surprised at the money BB threw at him.

Hoping like hell there's some truth to the Butler extension rumors.

He didn't look good in that video. Then again it's just a reel of his worst plays.

Our farm team over there in Western New York can get as upset as they like. Until they stop misusing good players and gift-wrapping all that underexploited talent to us at below market rates, their opinion doesn't count.

That play was on the safety who was frozen by the GOAT
I was not talking about Hogan beating Gilmore. The TV guy is looking forward to the Pats coming to Buffalo. Gilmore, like Hogan, may make him eat his words. Sorry for the confusion. However there was miscommunication on the Hogan TD, not sure who was in error.

The Bills DC was in error. They rushed 7 leaving nowhere near enough help behind the lines to contain a guy like Hogan. This myth that you can neutralize Brady by blitzing him cost the Bills a touchdown because there was no safety help for Gilmore. Bill countered the heavy blitz by having 3 receivers and White on the field, guaranteeing someone would get open if the O-line held, and it did, and the DC opted to protect against the short pass, leaving a lot of running groom for 7/11

I don't think Gilmore played poorly, but he did play like he'd get some safety help to contain Hogan, and that simply didn't happen.

Last edited:
That all being the case my thought is this. Who cares?

Short answer: he's provided bulletin board material to the Bills. They're going to try that much harder against us now.

Long answer: it's part of a pattern of his not buying into the Patriots philosophy:

1. In the case of his telling the media that OTAs were focusing on no-huddle offences, he is (a) possibly giving other DCs the idea to focus on no-huddle offences, and (b) signalling that he does not feel bound by the Patriots convention not to divulge information that could be helpful to another team.

2. In the case of his suggesting he believes he is a number 1 corner, and that he enjoys playing that position, he is implying that Butler is not a number 1 corner, and he is publicly telling Patricia that he will be unhappy if he is not put up against the number 1 receiver. More important, he is signalling that he wants plays, and is willing to publicly challenge coaches who don't give him enough. These are things that other teams' players do, not Patriots - he is signalling he just doesn't buy into the Patriots philosophy (and why should he?).

3. In the case of his suggesting he "hopes to be" the fastest player on the field, he is signalling that he thinks he's faster than Butler; and that physical skill/combine times are more important than winning the game. He specifically doesn't say he wants to be the most skilled, or most helpful, player on the field: just the fastest. That also signals a philosophy opposed to the Patriots', which values utility, not combine times.

4. In the case of his insulting the Bills, he's (a) provided them bulletin board material, which will make them play harder against us; and (b), as in 1-3, he's signalling again that he doesn't buy into the Patriots philosophy, which is not to provide bulletin board to opponents.

5. In 1-4 above, he's publicly shunning the Patriots philosophy, that Patriots way of doing things. But he also earns a good multiple of what nearly all the other players on the team make. So he's going to be someone the other players, especially the younger players try to emulate. His actions are going to make it very tough for coaches to tell players to do the hard work and quiet things that win games but not ESPN highlights: why should a player listen to a coach when another player who ignores what the coach is teaching was signed for 10 times the money?

NOTHING about what he said is negative or disrespectful of the Bills and its fans. It merely states the FACT that the Bills were rarely on national TV, and the Pats are.

I disagree. What Gilmore said is obviously disrespectful towards the Bills, and was intended to be such. That what he stated was in part factual isn't relevant to that. A statement can be both insulting and factual.

The question people on this board don't seem to be asking is: why is Gilmore saying this? How does it help the Patriots for Gilmore to be mocking the Bills?

And if you ask the question, you will see the answers: Gilmore was saying what he said for his own personal gratification. Or for branding. It does not help the Patriots: it hurts them - now the Bills will try a bit harder against us.

And it's just not classy. The Patriots are on prime time because they win a lot, which so far has had nothing to do with Gilmore. The Bills are not because they don't, which had more to do with him. Gilmore shouldn't be boasting about this.

Short answer: he's provided bulletin board material to the Bills. They're going to try that much harder against us now.

Long answer: it's part of a pattern of his not buying into the Patriots philosophy:

1. In the case of his telling the media that OTAs were focusing on no-huddle offences, he is (a) possibly giving other DCs the idea to focus on no-huddle offences, and (b) signalling that he does not feel bound by the Patriots convention not to divulge information that could be helpful to another team.

2. In the case of his suggesting he believes he is a number 1 corner, and that he enjoys playing that position, he is implying that Butler is not a number 1 corner, and he is publicly telling Patricia that he will be unhappy if he is not put up against the number 1 receiver. More important, he is signalling that he wants plays, and is willing to publicly challenge coaches who don't give him enough. These are things that other teams' players do, not Patriots - he is signalling he just doesn't buy into the Patriots philosophy (and why should he?).

3. In the case of his suggesting he "hopes to be" the fastest player on the field, he is signalling that he thinks he's faster than Butler; and that physical skill/combine times are more important than winning the game. He specifically doesn't say he wants to be the most skilled, or most helpful, player on the field: just the fastest. That also signals a philosophy opposed to the Patriots', which values utility, not combine times.

4. In the case of his insulting the Bills, he's (a) provided them bulletin board material, which will make them play harder against us; and (b), as in 1-3, he's signalling again that he doesn't buy into the Patriots philosophy, which is not to provide bulletin board to opponents.

5. In 1-4 above, he's publicly shunning the Patriots philosophy, that Patriots way of doing things. But he also earns a good multiple of what nearly all the other players on the team make. So he's going to be someone the other players, especially the younger players try to emulate. His actions are going to make it very tough for coaches to tell players to do the hard work and quiet things that win games but not ESPN highlights: why should a player listen to a coach when another player who ignores what the coach is teaching was signed for 10 times the money?

BB will trade Gilmore before he allows him to disrupt the lockeroom, (Moss, Collins etc) especially with how much he invested in this years team, we all know BB won't have it if he were to cause problems

I'm sure some of you have seen this. I'm just posting this because Gilmore's been getting roasted and it's quite funny.

This is my favourite one. Enjoy... lol! :D

Figuring that there'd be some highlights as well as lowlights out there, I searched YouTube and found this one:

One thing that scares me when watching this video is how much leeway the refs were giving him, particularly in the plays against the Steelers. I wonder how they'll call those now that he's playing for New England. :)

It could just as easily be used to throw teams off with misinformation and have them waste their time. Teams that are so concerned about another team's player saying such basic information in a press conference that they will change their entire strategy and approach to training camp never had a chance to begin with.

Saying we worked on some no huddle is about as revealing as saying we worked on snap counts, or red zone offense, or man to man defensive drills....

This is a non-argument in my opinion

Do you hang out with Felger or something?

I don't find any evidence of that, and I just read through all of the transcripts from his media appearances. This was his response when asked a direct question about Malcolm Butler:

Q: What was your reaction to the Patriots keeping Malcolm Butler now that you guys are going to play together in the secondary?

SG: It's going to be fun. I know he's a talented player but I just try to stay in my lane and handle the things I can handle. It's a competitive group so I'm looking forward to it.

Q: As a fellow cornerback, what qualities about Malcolm Butler have stood out to you?

SG: He just competes no matter what. He just competes to the end of the play. I mean all the guys do in the secondary so that's one thing that stuck out to me.

Q: Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon, Malcolm Butler, Patrick Chung - those guys have been playing together for a long time. Does that make the acclimation process easier for you as a new guy?

SG: They definitely help, those guys. [They're] veteran guys who've been around and played a long time. When you have those type of guys back there it allows you to come in and ask questions and try to do the best you can to communicate with them and make plays.

Q: Is there pressure on that group to perform?

SG: There's only pressure if you make it. You just go out and work hard and do your job and rely on each other, trust each other. If we do that I think we'll be good.

From another interview:

Q: What are your thoughts on Malcolm Butler as a defensive back and what do you remember about his interception in Super Bowl XLIX and his story in general?

SG: Obviously, he came into the league undrafted so he came in and grinded his way up to the top and he's made a lot of good plays in the league, so you've got to respect him as a player. He's made a lot of great plays on big stages. I definitely respect him as a player. In this league you have to have a strong mentality playing at the corner position and I think he has that. He has that fight in him, so that's one thing that sticks out from watching him. He always comes back. If you get him he always puts it behind him and makes plays the next play.

This is where you officially went into the Spin Zone... this was the transcript of the last 4 questions, the 4th being the comment you're twisting above about racing the other players.. Also his answers directly contradict your claims that he doesn't care about being a helpful teammate, etc.. you're literally poaching a few words/sentences out of context and twisting their meaning.. Do you work for Exponent?

Everyone can read for themselves and decide below...

Q: How has your perception of the team and the people who make it up changed since you've had the chance to spend some time with them?

SG: It's pretty much what I thought. [They're] a close group of guys that play for each other. A lot of people have good relationships with each other on this team so that always makes it better when you've got a good relationship with the players you play with. They're going to help a lot with me coming in and doing whatever I can do.

Q: Can you see if a team has a lot of unity or cohesiveness when they're out on the field?

SG: I think you can see it when everybody is doing their job and playing for each other. Most of the time that's the team that wins. You can always see it from the other side or even if you're the team that's doing that.

Q: What's your reaction to the number of moves the team has made?

SG: Those guys are good players but you still have got to prove it every day, prove it every game. [We] just have to come out hungry every week and be the best you can to do whatever you can to help the team win.

Q: Brandin Cooks said at one point that there may be a race between the fastest guys on the team. Is that something that you want to get involved with?

SG: Yeah, I think I could stay in that with them. He's definitely fast. It'll be a good race.

I'll give this one to you, although I think its meaningless and many players on this team have said a hell of a lot worse than this during the season...

Training camp hasn't even started yet, so if the Bills need Gilmore's comments about being in a bigger media market to make a feeble attempt at being competitive, then good for them

Literally insane... I hope that the younger players start acting and behaving like Gilmore, this team will be great for another 5+ years!

I won't even organize my thoughts on this, I'll just list a bunch of quotes that prove with 100% certainty how wrong you are on this point. Show me where he is "SHUNNING" the Patriot Way in any of these statements lol...

SG: Those guys are good players but you still have got to prove it every day, prove it every game. [We] just have to come out hungry every week and be the best you can to do whatever you can to help the team win.

Q: Can you see if a team has a lot of unity or cohesiveness when they're out on the field?

SG: I think you can see it when everybody is doing their job and playing for each other. Most of the time that's the team that wins. You can always see it from the other side or even if you're the team that's doing that.

Q: What do you think will be the biggest transition from playing with the Bills to now playing with the Patriots?

SG: I don't know. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and learn from my teammates. I really can't answer that now but I'm pretty sure there are different challenges every year. You've got to learn how to deal with it.

Q: Was it frustrating over the years playing against this team with Buffalo?

SG: They did a lot of great things playing against them. I'm happy to be over here and learn from the guys and learn from the coaches. [We've] got great coaches. So I'm looking forward to it.

Q: Do you think you could potentially be the best secondary in the NFL? Is there a level of pride in trying to accomplish something like that?

SG: We just want to be the best team that we can be. Whatever that goal is, whatever we've got to do to win games, that's what we've got to do to help this team win.

Q: How would you describe the atmosphere of the offseason program?

SG: It's fun. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. Everything is new to me. I've got good teammates so they always give me a warning or let me know what's the next step. It's always good having them.

Q: What have been some of your impressions?

SG: It's fun. The biggest thing that I noticed is that the guys welcomed me. [They're] some great teammates. The secondary welcomed me in and they said if I have any questions to ask them. I'll hit the ground running and do whatever I can to help the team.

Q: How have you viewed this organization from afar and what are your thoughts on being able to be coached under someone like Bill Belichick?Read

SG: It's an honor to play under coach [Bill] Belichick. Coming in, watching from afar, obviously I've played against them a lot. They find a way to win so that's one thing you've got to respect about them. But it starts over every year, so I'm just looking forward to going in and meeting my teammates, learning from the coaches, and learning from the players and being the best team that we can be.

Sorry bruh, you're way off base

Last edited:
Gilmore's tweet is consistent with his previous interviews since signing with the Patriots. He seems to value individual attention, not the team. He doesn't want to win, he wants the attention of prime time, and he wants to insult his former team. Giving them bulletin board material too.

This is already the third prima donna statement or interview like this he's made, before playing a down even in training camp; see previous threads.

Because of Gilmore's salary, he's tough to control. I think he has the potential to disrupt the chemistry of the entire defense. If Butler refuses to tackle (or starts missing tackles on) running backs this year, I'd understand.
This is a **** post.

Debbie Downer post of the day:

I'm not fully sold on the Gilmore hype just yet, either. I know the potential is there, but I want to see it in action before automatically assuming a top 3 secondary, etc. He had a down year last year, so I'll hop aboard the hype train if/when he's living up to it. Hopefully, he's part of a great secondary for years to come, but I'm still kind of surprised at the money BB threw at him.

Hoping like hell there's some truth to the Butler extension rumors.
I, too, have chosen to remain cautiously optimistic, especially considering how uneven his play was last season. Gilmore has also played for a few different coaches and DC's, and that can often hurt a player's maturation. What gives me great optimism is that I highly doubt BB would have opened up the checkbook the way he did if he didn't see something on film that made him think Gilmore would be an absolute stud in his scheme. He just wouldn't do it otherwise, regardless of wanting an insurance policy in case Butler leaves. It is said that he studies endlessly and he has great physical attributes. NE offers him the stability and consistency he has not had so far in his young career and I have to believe that will make a difference, even if only slight.

TC is a week away, so we'll definitely be seeing more once the pads come on. I believe he's a very good corner with the potential to be great. I'm all in on him because he does appear to be an upgrade over just about everyone on the roster, Butler included (although some say Butler is better). It hopefully will shape up to be a great tandem.

Brady would look pretty bad too in the 30 second video of his bad plays from 2016.

They'd have to run a 10 second commercial to fill the full 30 seconds.

Last edited:
It could just as easily be used to throw teams off with misinformation and have them waste their time. Teams that are so concerned about another team's player saying such basic information in a press conference that they will change their entire strategy and approach to training camp never had a chance to begin with.

Saying we worked on some no huddle is about as revealing as saying we worked on snap counts, or red zone offense, or man to man defensive drills....

This is a non-argument in my opinion

Do you hang out with Felger or something?

I don't find any evidence of that, and I just read through all of the transcripts from his media appearances. This was his response when asked a direct question about Malcolm Butler:

Q: What was your reaction to the Patriots keeping Malcolm Butler now that you guys are going to play together in the secondary?

SG: It's going to be fun. I know he's a talented player but I just try to stay in my lane and handle the things I can handle. It's a competitive group so I'm looking forward to it.

Q: As a fellow cornerback, what qualities about Malcolm Butler have stood out to you?

SG: He just competes no matter what. He just competes to the end of the play. I mean all the guys do in the secondary so that's one thing that stuck out to me.

Q: Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon, Malcolm Butler, Patrick Chung - those guys have been playing together for a long time. Does that make the acclimation process easier for you as a new guy?

SG: They definitely help, those guys. [They're] veteran guys who've been around and played a long time. When you have those type of guys back there it allows you to come in and ask questions and try to do the best you can to communicate with them and make plays.

Q: Is there pressure on that group to perform?

SG: There's only pressure if you make it. You just go out and work hard and do your job and rely on each other, trust each other. If we do that I think we'll be good.

From another interview:

Q: What are your thoughts on Malcolm Butler as a defensive back and what do you remember about his interception in Super Bowl XLIX and his story in general?

SG: Obviously, he came into the league undrafted so he came in and grinded his way up to the top and he's made a lot of good plays in the league, so you've got to respect him as a player. He's made a lot of great plays on big stages. I definitely respect him as a player. In this league you have to have a strong mentality playing at the corner position and I think he has that. He has that fight in him, so that's one thing that sticks out from watching him. He always comes back. If you get him he always puts it behind him and makes plays the next play.

This is where you officially went into the Spin Zone... this was the transcript of the last 4 questions, the 4th being the comment you're twisting above about racing the other players.. Also his answers directly contradict your claims that he doesn't care about being a helpful teammate, etc.. you're literally poaching a few words/sentences out of context and twisting their meaning.. Do you work for Exponent?

Everyone can read for themselves and decide below...

Q: How has your perception of the team and the people who make it up changed since you've had the chance to spend some time with them?

SG: It's pretty much what I thought. [They're] a close group of guys that play for each other. A lot of people have good relationships with each other on this team so that always makes it better when you've got a good relationship with the players you play with. They're going to help a lot with me coming in and doing whatever I can do.

Q: Brandin Cooks said at one point that there may be a race between the fastest guys on the team. Is that something that you want to get involved with?

SG: Yeah, I think I could stay in that with them. He's definitely fast. It'll be a good race.

I'll give this one to you, although I think its meaningless and many players on this team have said a hell of a lot worse than this during the season...

Training camp hasn't even started yet, so if the Bills need Gilmore's comments about being in a bigger media market to make a feeble attempt at being competitive, then good for them

Literally insane... I hope that the younger players start acting and behaving like Gilmore, this team will be great for another 5+ years!

I won't even organize my thoughts on this, I'll just list a bunch of quotes that prove with 100% certainty how wrong you are on this point. Show me where he is "SHUNNING" the Patriot Way in any of these statements lol...

Q: What do you think will be the biggest transition from playing with the Bills to now playing with the Patriots?

SG: I don't know. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and learn from my teammates. I really can't answer that now but I'm pretty sure there are different challenges every year. You've got to learn how to deal with it.

Q: Was it frustrating over the years playing against this team with Buffalo?

SG: They did a lot of great things playing against them. I'm happy to be over here and learn from the guys and learn from the coaches. [We've] got great coaches. So I'm looking forward to it.

Q: Do you think you could potentially be the best secondary in the NFL? Is there a level of pride in trying to accomplish something like that?

SG: We just want to be the best team that we can be. Whatever that goal is, whatever we've got to do to win games, that's what we've got to do to help this team win.

Q: How would you describe the atmosphere of the offseason program?

SG: It's fun. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. Everything is new to me. I've got good teammates so they always give me a warning or let me know what's the next step. It's always good having them.

Q: What have been some of your impressions?

SG: It's fun. The biggest thing that I noticed is that the guys welcomed me. [They're] some great teammates. The secondary welcomed me in and they said if I have any questions to ask them. I'll hit the ground running and do whatever I can to help the team.

Q: How have you viewed this organization from afar and what are your thoughts on being able to be coached under someone like Bill Belichick?Read

SG: It's an honor to play under coach [Bill] Belichick. Coming in, watching from afar, obviously I've played against them a lot. They find a way to win so that's one thing you've got to respect about them. But it starts over every year, so I'm just looking forward to going in and meeting my teammates, learning from the coaches, and learning from the players and being the best team that we can be.

Sorry bruh, you're way off base
However, using the phrase "my people" is very concerning for a Patriot!:D

It could just as easily be used to throw teams off with misinformation and have them waste their time.

I believe he said they focused on no-huddle defense, although I don't have the exact quote handy. I don't think the argument that he was throwing teams off with misinformation is plausible. Even if it is, it's not consistent with the more common (and also wrong) argument that you and others propound that what he said makes no difference. If divulging the strategic focus of OTAs makes no difference to other teams when it is accurate, neither would so divulging when it is inaccurate; so there would be no reason for Gilmore to try and mislead other teams about the focus.

In any case, the issue isn't how much this affects other teams. The issue is what this tells us about Gilmore: that he is divulging items about a practice of greater specificity than any veteran player had in the past year.
I don't find any evidence of that, and I just read through all of the transcripts from his media appearances.
..........(lots of quotes deleted....)
These quotes you adduced demonstrate merely that not everything Gilmore says is antithetical to the Patriots' philosophy. But you haven't cited or addressed the quotes Gilmore said that are. I believe, in fact, that you were quoting from a different interview than the one I referenced as to his speed (source in another thread), which was:
Steve Burton: You're known as a shutdown corner.
Gilmore: Mmm-hmm.
Q: When you take on opposing teams, you're the guy who takes on their number one receiver, their number one challenge. Do you like that role?
A: I like it. It brings the best out of me...you have the opportunity to make plays.
Q: You have world class speed...
A: Uh-huh
Q: ... are you the fastest guy on this team?
A: On the field I hope so.

Let me re-emphasize one point that seems to be missed. I am not claiming that the examples I cited are extremely harmful in and of themselves to the Patriots.

What I am claiming is that taken together, these tweets and interviews suggest that Gilmore's personality is a poor fit. What Patriot in 2016 provided a division opponent as much bulletin board material as Gilmore did the Bills? What other Patriot in 2016 boasted about his physical ability compared to others on the field?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes