PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 3 Picks 10/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

harveyw

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What do you guys think if the following were our top 3 picks (assuming we sit @32)

1A: Landry LSU
1B: Woodley UM (I believe his stock is on the rise)
2: Smith USC

Addresses the needs on defense and the 1 glaring need on offense. I am so impressed with Smith and believe that he could be a better version of Troy Brown.

harveyw said:
What do you guys think if the following were our top 3 picks (assuming we sit @32)

Addresses the needs on defense and the 1 glaring need on offense. I am so impressed with Smith and believe that he could be a better version of Troy Brown.

It is so early, I will start with some crazy names.

1A) DE\OLB - Quentin Grove 6'3, 250 - JR - Auburn
- good wheels, athetic enough to play OLB
1B) FS\CB - Reggie Nelson 6'0, 195 - JR - Florida
- playmaker and could potentially play Safety or Corner

2) WR - Paul Williams 6'2, 205 - SR - Fresno State

harveyw said:

I didn't realize the Pats drafted strictly based on need. Honestly, I see Landry being long gone by the time the Pats draft in the 1st round. That is, unless the Seahawks season goes in the tank.

I think the Pats draft based on a value system, not on need.

The more I see of Steve Smith, the more he also reminds me of Branch. I'm not sure he's as solid a citizen as Branch or nearly as smart as Branch, but he has the quick twitch BB likes in his WR's.

My biggest problem with Woodley is this, are his numbers a product of the superior play of Branch inside or a product of his play????? I think it's Branch making him look good. Not sure he would be considered nearly as favorably if it weren't for Branch.

cstjohn17 said:
It is so early, I will start with some crazy names.

1A) DE\OLB - Quentin Grove 6'3, 250 - JR - Auburn
- good wheels, athetic enough to play OLB
1B) FS\CB - Reggie Nelson 6'0, 195 - JR - Florida
- playmaker and could potentially play Safety or Corner

2) WR - Paul Williams 6'2, 205 - SR - Fresno State

Those are a little crazy. I haven't seen Groves ranked that highly, don't think he'd be a 1st round pick. His teammate was similar to him, a rush DE and got picked in the 6th I think. And then cut. He was projected to be a 3rd maybe.
I think he's on someone's practice squad. Just goes to show you can never tell.

Pats don't pick on need only but they don't ignore it completely either. I think they say they "pick the player who they think will help them the most" which is a combination of need and talent. IE they won't pick a talented guy who will be behind a logjam of veterans if there is another almost as talented guy who is playing at a position of need.

so it's not really one or the other. It's so hard to say "this guy is more talented that that guy" most of the time - most of the time they are neck and neck. Although some teams really do seem to reach for some inexplicable reason. The Pats have enough needs, ie CB, safety, ILB, OLB, WR, that I couldn't see them drafting a guard say. Or a 3-4 DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents