PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dear Millennial Patsfans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First football game I can remember watching live is the colts game where we stuffed them on the one... how crazy must that be to you guys? That is crazy for me thinking about it from that perspective... just wondering if we'd ever have a chance at another Super Bowl

Man, and then there was the time coach Fairbanks deserted the team right before the playoffs!!!

What fun times!!!!
You mean the time when the Sullivans suspended Fairbanks right before the playoffs because they found out he was leaving once the season was over and they were vindictive little anklebiters. (He left (a) to coach college football, and (b) to get away from the Sullivans after they stabbed he, Hannah, and Grey in their backs.)

the first game i truly truly remember is the divisional game at denver in 05

suffice to say, my earliest memory is a lot like the pre 2000 pats memories haha

i don't know why i dont remember the years before it that clearly? maybe the dissaponitment of 05 just stuck where before that for me it was just good news winning superbowls so not as traumatic

Coincidentally I got home from watching that movie just in time to catch this play. One of those game-switch deals IIRC...

Reminded me of the time I played golf with nfl alumni. Mose tatupu was in our foursome. His daughter was his caddy. He wasn’t very good, but we weren’t there to win either.

Despite the less than good memories, and the abuse I took as a Pats fan before 2001.. it is all good now, sometimes when I wake up the next morning I ask, "Did that really happen".. these are the good times, enjoy it while it lasts.

From the Earls in 1962

Great stuff. Lot of good memories, lots of bad ones

the first game i truly truly remember is the divisional game at denver in 05

suffice to say, my earliest memory is a lot like the pre 2000 pats memories haha

i don't know why i dont remember the years before it that clearly? maybe the dissaponitment of 05 just stuck where before that for me it was just good news winning superbowls so not as traumatic
That 05 loss sticks with me. They were so screwed over in that game.

Having started watching Patriots games weekly in 2004, I have long been able to understand and admit that this is a run I'll never see again. I remember how frustrating 05-13 was, and that's an ELITE stretch for most teams. I like to think I'll stick around after the fun part because I just love football, but I'm also very weak-willed, so who knows?

Desmond Howard killing us was (I believe) the second Super Bowl I ever watched getting into football. So, for the most part, I (at 31) have mostly ever known winning seasons since I've been old enough to remember. Crazy. But I did do my fair share of reading on past seasons so, while I don't "remember" them, this millennial is familiar with the past.

Did you complain to a manager somewhere about what you perceived to be sub-par service before you created this thread, @PatsFanInVa? ;)

Reactions: jah
Desmond Howard killing us was (I believe) the second Super Bowl I ever watched getting into football. So, for the most part, I (at 31) have mostly ever known winning seasons since I've been old enough to remember. Crazy. But I did do my fair share of reading on past seasons so, while I don't "remember" them, this millennial is familiar with the past.

Did you complain to a manager somewhere about what you perceived to be sub-par service before you created this thread, @PatsFanInVa? ;)

Ha! No, re read the original post. I’ve got my “lines” about kids these days & we all know the stereotypes, but I actually think millennials are amazing.

Not trying to burn anybody, more like passing the torch... but I did “like” and “funny” some responses.

Get ready if you’re 30... gen. Z is coming, and it’s your turn to be the Gran Torino guy soon enough!

Sic transit...

Millenials pull out their cellphones and everything is there. I wonder what they would think of buying 2 or 3 newspapers to sift through filtered news. Waking up in the morning to Sportscenter ... it is all we had at the time.

How about out of state fans. You could have the Globe or Herald emailed to you. There was ESPN but we were rarely in the news pre 1999. There was some internet news mid 1990's but I do not think the local rags had a presence there...I could be wrong. I wonder how many out of area fans used AOL messenger to talk Patriots ... just to get some news. It is great to have more fans thanks to the internet and social media ... but let's face it ... they jumped on ... they didn't have to start out in the boiler room like us older fans. I think we have a greater appreciation for it ... sorry if that's insulting.

Millenials? Why, you young whippersnapper, I remember the Pats first foray into championship play and getting crushed by the Chargers. I remember losing a championship berth to the Jets in the last game of the season (the origin of all Jets hatred). I remember, then, the long years in the desert until the arrival of the great Chuck, who showed that the Patriots could, once again, take their place among the teams that mattered.

What would millenials have done with the over flowing toilets at Schaefer or no Uber to get to the game to save on parking fees?

What would millenials have done with the over flowing toilets at Schaefer or no Uber to get to the game to save on parking fees?

Probably the same thing they do when the toilets overflow at bars/local watering holes and when the Uber/Lyft is surge pricing to $300+. Deal with it and adapt.

Sports is that weird beast where if you root for a team because they are awesome with a great coach and great players and win a lot you are considered a dupe and disingenuous.

But if you were born in proximity to where the team practices or if your dad liked them, you are a noble and principled fan even if the team is hot garbage, their coach is a moron and they lose all the time.

If one were to pick any other product, movie, car, etc., like this you'd be considered wholesale insane.

Last edited:
Minor nit. Vataha was much more a part of the Plunkett teams than the Grogan ones. They came in together. Vataha outlasted Plunkett in NE by only one year.

Millennials ...

Watching a live game smelling pipe or cigar smoke ... that was great!

Millenials pull out their cellphones and everything is there. I wonder what they would think of buying 2 or 3 newspapers to sift through filtered news. Waking up in the morning to Sportscenter ... it is all we had at the time.

How about out of state fans. You could have the Globe or Herald emailed to you. There was ESPN but we were rarely in the news pre 1999. There was some internet news mid 1990's but I do not think the local rags had a presence there...I could be wrong. I wonder how many out of area fans used AOL messenger to talk Patriots ... just to get some news. It is great to have more fans thanks to the internet and social media ... but let's face it ... they jumped on ... they didn't have to start out in the boiler room like us older fans. I think we have a greater appreciation for it ... sorry if that's insulting.

What is this email of which you speak? One of them new genders they're always coming out with?

Sports are that weird beast where if you root for a team because they awesome with a great coach and great players and win a lot you are considered a dupe and disingenuous.

But if you were born in proximity to where the team practices or if your dad liked them, you are a noble and principled fan even if the team is hot garbage, their coach is a moron and they lose all the time.

If one were to pick any other product, movie, car, etc., like this you'd be considered wholesale insane.

This brings up two observations... neither is original...

1) Are you a millennial? I ask because millennials are infamously - and intelligently - impervious to brand loyalty.

I'm not particularly brand-loyal, but I do admit that to me, there's Sam Adams (and maybe their light Boston lager,) then there's fru-fru Sam Adams flavors and all other "craft beers," then there's mule piss, AKA your Buds, Bud Lights, Coors, etc., which all taste disturbingly similar (although this is only a consideration for the first few, after which there are two flavors, "more" and "I'm going to throw up.") Beer brand loyalty might or might not be an exception... but people my age (in my 50s) pick a product and stick with it much more than millennials do - even when it makes no sense, or at least less sense. My wife is in her 60s and is even more in this habit. You only need 1 brand of mayonnaise, 1 kind of mustard (yellow, usually French's) etc.

So one of the ways that I think millennials are amazing is that they're not brand-loyal - perhaps sometimes to their detriment, but generally to their benefit.

Counterpoint: Eliminating brand loyalty probably ties into the stereotype of mistrust of elders, authorities, organizations, etc. You can end up re-inventing a lot of wheels that way... and boy have we old folks seen a lot of "kids" come through our offices with breakthrough ideas that have been tried and discarded. Counter-counterpoint: But we also can't see how it's different now (i.e., we're immigrants, not natives, to the technology millennials grew up using.)

Also, unfiltered information products are unfiltered information products. This should be understood in both its negative and its positive implications, when you're considering whether the brand is significant. A Russian botnet and a professional journalist will deliver somewhat different products.

2) The other thing is, however rational or irrational we are elsewhere in life, we're completely irrational when we describe ourselves as fans. It's short for fanatic.

So no, I can't say someone's a Pats fan if he shopped for the best team around, and will ditch the team if things get tough - the apparently rational approach, which assumes that one will always reap the emotional highs of good seasons, and never suffer through runs of poor performance.

The catch is that the emotional payback of team loyalty (1) underlies the concept of fanhood, and more usefully, (2) is far superior when you go from bad to good, than when you go from good to great to good to great etc. That's why I wrote to millennials, to encourage the ones with the emotional equipment to hang with the team if bad times come again... and try to impart the thrill of all those memories culminating in this dynasty.

You won't have the same series of events no matter what happens, from here on in.... but I wanted to impart the value of being a fan.

People who do the apparently rational thing and root for the next team with an awesome coach and awesome players are not likely to experience the same highs, being unwilling or unable to abide the lows.

Also, look on the bright side: You can fearlessly gripe about coaching and management when your team sucks. Right now, if you want to ***** about the team's defensive philosophy, its playcalling, its drafting, etc., it's a free country... but the null hypothesis right now is "In Bill We Trust." It's a heavy lift.

Nobody ever said "In **** MacPherson We Trust." Evah.

The suckier your team is, the more you can look wicked smaht when you scream directions at the television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents