PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Caldwell. He can't catch a cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be really really careful making quick judgments or generalizations. Watching a game in real time and getying impressions will probably not give you a very perceptive evaluation of a receiver. This is why slo-mo review is the only way to really begin to judge - and then it's many times difficult because of the TV views that you have to work from. Add to that the fact that many times we have no clue how the play was designed, or, in the case of a receiver, if he ran a bad route, the QB made a poor throw, or it was a case of the receiver and the QB not being on the same page as to what route option or alteration was needed.

This is why, if you are really interested in a real evaluation, the great work that Pats1 and Box do in doing the play by play analysis is priceless compared to even the best of the pundit's observations.

In particular, there are a lot of poor impressions in this thread.

Caldwell was the target for 8 plays (not always mentioned correctly).

1st - 11:18 - looked like Caldwell and Brady were exactly on the same page as far as route or pattern. The ball hit Caldwell in the numbers, but unfortunately for us getting an evaluation, the DB hit him sooner. You have to count this as a succes because they called PI and I think it was a 17 yard gain.

2nd - 10:23 - Brady threw an out pattern and Caldwell was 3 to 5 yards from the ball. Maybe he ran the wrong pattern, maybe Brady threw a poor ball (very doubtful), or maybe they weren't on the same page. If I had to guess, it would be that Caldwell didn't run exactly the right pattern. But no way can that be said with any certainty - it may as likely be Caldwell and Brady not picking the same option route.

2nd - 1:11 - long fly pattern with Caldwell slanting into the middle of the field. He was tightly double covered and the ball went considerably over his head. Without a TV view of his whole route running, you can't tell if he was going flat out the whole route. With the considerable overthrow, it might be Brady seeing the tight double coverage and putting the ball out where there was almost no chance of it being caught but also no chance of an interception. Or Brady may not yet have a feel for how fast Caldwell is or isn't in game situations.

2nd - 0:41 - Brady and Caldwell were apparently perfectly together on route and timing. Ball a little high but not in the slightest something you don't expect a receiver to be able to handle. It hit Caldwell right in his hands and he stiffed the ball directly to the ground. If you are trying to label Caldwell as dropping balls, this is the only one that you can point to. And it was a very bad drop.

3rd - 12:11 - Another fly pattern down the middle of the field it looked like, unless is was a deliberate fly, stop, and comeback (I kind of doubt it). It was tight double coverage. The ball was thrown short and off to the right of Caldwell. Again, without any TV view of the whole route, it is frustrating to try to piece it together. If Brady was seeing the double coverage and deliberately throwing the ball short, he didn't put it right to where Caldwell was. Caldwell did stop and try for the ball but he had to dive sideways and the ball was out and down. It would have been a great catch if he had made it - but he didn't make it. Not something that you can fault him very much for I wouldn't think. He apparently pulled up as he was on the left hash marks. Brady's throw was a couple yards inside the hash mark. You would love to know if Caldwell's route was supposed to be down a specific line or if he was to split double team defenders, or whatever - there are any number of different possibilities. If Brady's throw had been at Caldwell, the DBs could not have defended it and we would have had a good chance to see how Caldwell handled a catchable ball. Too bad we didn't get the chance. If Caldwell coming back for the ball was an adjustment by him, he did a good job of that. The defenders were pulling up but not as quickly as Caldwell.

3rd - 12:05 - Brady to Caldwell for 3 yards

3rd - 0:33 - Cassel to Caldwell for 10 yards

4th - 10:00 - Cassel to Caldwell for 15 yards.

So, despite what some folks perceptions may have been, there was only one dropped ball. There was also one really tough chance that he didn't make a great catch on.

Counting the PI call, he had 4 gains with an average of 11 yards per. 3 of those were 1st down conversions on 3rd down..

The first PI was on a 3rd and 10 - first down.
The second was on a 2nd and 10 (picked up 3 yards on short out)
The third was on a 3rd and 8 - 10 yards and a 1st down.
The fourth was on a 3rd and 5 - 15 yards and a 1st down.

What do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice analysis.
Frankly, I think both Branch and Jackson will be out there soon.
So if Reche were on the field he'd be covered by the other teams 3rd CB.
Last year:
T Dwight 19 catches
A Davis 9 catches
B Johnson 4 catches
Point is I believe he will be a role player and catch 32+ passes this year matching the production of ALL these role players. But my opinion doesn't matter. Production on the field matters.
Be patient.

I guess my opinion of Caldwell hasn't changed since he was signed.

Even though a lot of people felt we were all set at WR with Caldwell at #2, citing every reason why his low career numbers failed to show him for what he was - a certain #2 and someone who could compete for a #1 - I'm in the Bill Parcells school of talent assessment when it comes to Caldwell

You're are what your stats say you are.

Caldwell's never caught more than 30 passes in a season for his career. The list of receivers better than him is a long one, and it made no sense to pin all our hopes of having a #2 WR on him, even though he had a strong cheerleading section among our fans - some of whom felt we didn't even need to address WR in the draft!

I still hope I'm wrong and am looking forward to coming back here mid season and saying how wrong I was - but for right now, Caldwell looks like what he is - a bad WR who hurts the team with droppped passes and missed opportunities.

arrellbee,
Great analysis, much better than we'll see anywhere else, this side of Box & Pats1. It gives me hope that I've been too harsh in my thinking.

It's hard to know without seeing the game live whether the tight coverage is a defensive call or Caldwell's inability to break free. Obviously, if Caldwell has two guys on him step for step and they're ignoring the rest of the field, he'd have to be a true #1 to break loose of that. It's not like Santana Moss, Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin showed star power against the Pats.

The communication breakdowns are fixable over time, unless he's Bethel (and unlike Bethel, reports are that he has a great attitude). Watson, whom we love, was the target of Brady's criticism well into last season.

We'd all be feeling a lot better if Caldwell had showed us consistent good play, but he didn't. So now some of us wonder if he'll get better or he's reached his ceiling because of his past at SD and a few preseason games. We're probably being too hasty.

Edited to say: we also need to give Caldwell a little credit for opening up the middle for Watson. If Caldwell really sucked, they'd leave him alone and he'd drop Brady's passes when he's wide open.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, "OH, NEWBIE, WOULD YOU F-ING RELAX?"

Please, Old 55 has been around here forever. He's like me, we just post once in a while.

Plus, I know he's a Tom Waits fan, so you know he's gotta be allright...:)

IndyKen said:
Please, Old 55 has been around here forever. He's like me, we just post once in a while.

Plus, I know he's a Tom Waits fan, so you know he's gotta be allright...:)

Favorite Tom Waits line ..."And the piano has been drinking, not me.."

LOL

Thanks for having my back. For what has been accused of being a useless post, this one is approaching the length of "no way David Patten makes this team" of a couple of years ago.

PatsFan37 said:
arrellbee,
Great analysis, much better than we'll see anywhere else, this side of Box & Pats1. It gives me hope that I've been too harsh in my thinking.

It's hard to know without seeing the game live whether the tight coverage is a defensive call or Caldwell's inability to break free. Obviously, if Caldwell has two guys on him step for step and they're ignoring the rest of the field, he'd have to be a true #1 to break loose of that. It's not like Santana Moss, Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin showed star power against the Pats.

The communication breakdowns are fixable over time, unless he's Bethel (and unlike Bethel, reports are that he has a great attitude). Watson, whom we love, was the target of Brady's criticism well into last season.

We'd all be feeling a lot better if Caldwell had showed us consistent good play, but he didn't. So now some of us wonder if he'll get better or he's reached his ceiling because of his past at SD and a few preseason games. We're probably being too hasty.

Edited to say: we also need to give Caldwell a little credit for opening up the middle for Watson. If Caldwell really sucked, they'd leave him alone and he'd drop Brady's passes when he's wide open.
Very good perspectives. Only time will tell. Another perspective that is perhaps appropriate: was there any expectation on BB/SP part that he would be a #1 receiver ? Or was he signed expecting him to be a solid #2 opposite a very good #1 to take any double teams - i.e. perhaps a replacement for the Patten/Givens role. Then a high draft pick (Jackson) becomes a pure bonus in terms of potential and depth and (presuming our Mr. Branch reports) potentially a stronger four WR depth than last year. In that scenario, Caldwell is a really extra BB/SP signing success if he performs as a top #2 or especially if he shows low #1 performance. I am NOT at this point saying this will be the case - merely pointing out some perspectives and what we might be observing 6 months from now - or not.

I will go so far as to observe that while folks here might want to make really quick judgments (of course we want to), Brady himself has pointed out very clearly and more than once something extremely important - it takes time for a QB and a WR to get on the same page. Remember that Brady had a lot of reps in game situations with Patten and Givens - that is VERY important. That doesn't address a 'drops' issue which may be another matter entirely and is certainly critical - altho, even here, lack of familiarity has to create some uncertainty for a WR and experience with a QB may give him more confidence and let him concentrate on completions.

Please, old55, I've already apologized for lumping you in with the newbies, but let's not mistake the number of posts as an indication that there is merit to the idea of CUTTING Caldwell at this point. It will simply not happen, which is why it was referred to as useless.

What shall we start a thread on next - Rich Musinski will make the Pro Bowl!

we have agreement on that..

"What shall we start a thread on next - Rich Musinski will make the Pro Bowl!"

Patsox23,
I think we can probably agree that Rich will have to buy his own ticket for any Hawaii trips he ever takes. LOL

I did like Arrellbee's analysis, and as I've said before, I would love for Caldwell to prove me wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Interesting that here in the DC / Northern Virginia area, the local sports shows are all complaining about how bad the Skins are and how they couldn't cover Watson. Many have expressed awe at the way Brady sliced the Washington D to shreds. Some have also said that Watson is set to become the next Gates type TE. I did hear the same guys say that they thought Caldwell was terrible and they were upset that the Skins would let the Pats with a depleted WR ranks carve them up like they did.

It's been a good day of local sports radio listening down here - for a change.

I am looking forward to what Brady can do when Jackson finally gets into the action,and hopefully, Branch comes back.

Lost in this whole thread is the fact that the Pats were amazing on Saturday. Most scores of 41 usually include a D type TD in the mix. This was 41 from scrimmage with no ST or D TDs included - without our two best WRs or even Dillon or Maroney running wild.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no injuries that side tracked the season like last year.

Go Pats!!

I predict Caldwell is going to make everyone eat their words.

He's going to catch a cold.

JoeSixPat said:
I predict Caldwell is going to make everyone eat their words.

He's going to catch a cold.
I'm going to go one step further and say he is going to catch a bus as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back