PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: NO WAY Pats go into season with just Cam and Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not the one that said QB panicking just means you throw it into coverage. No it doesn’t.

The clip shows a QB who panics under pressure, can’t read a defense, can’t get away from pressure and makes bad decisions. Same in his Patriots career to date. I never said a thing about “not heaving it up”. The play at 1:11 is exactly why he was only a 4th rounder.

Clear as day why Cam gets the benefit of the doubt over this guy if it’s a choice between the two.
If you can’t see the receivers how can you judge his decision?

This is Stidham under pressure.

Clemson's Defense Dominates Auburn - YouTube

Some of us want this guy to be the starter for the Patriots. :D I say nah.

You're gonna have the predictable excuse makers, but this video is damning. He doesn't know how to move in the pocket. He doesn't keep his eyes down the field. Taking 11 sacks in a game is on the QB even if his OLine isn't great.

You're gonna have the predictable excuse makers, but this video is damning. He doesn't know how to move in the pocket. He doesn't keep his eyes down the field. Taking 11 sacks in a game is on the QB even if his OLine isn't great.

If the only game you watched Mahomes play was the super bowl what would you say about him?

If the only game you watched Mahomes play was the super bowl what would you say about him?
That was also stidhams 2nd game at auburn, and his first was against Georgia Southern.

Except we aren't just talking about 1 crappy Stidham game. He was bad his last year of college. And he's been here 2 years. 4 picks including 2 pick6's in his first couple games.

This is another OC special just like Ryan Mallet and Kevin O'Connell. He's not the answer.

Except we aren't just talking about 1 crappy Stidham game. He was bad his last year of college. And he's been here 2 years. 4 picks including 2 pick6's in his first couple games.

This is another OC special just like Ryan Mallet and Kevin O'Connell. He's not the answer.

We don't know that yet. Actually we don't know much at all. Such a small sample size.

Exactly. And we saw those flaws manifest in his Patriots career to date. He hasn’t progressed. And he will be 25 years old. He is what he is, a typical 4th round pick QB who isn’t good enough to start in the big leagues.

Time to find a QB with potential to be the answer for us and there isn’t one on the roster right now. Hopefully we’ll find someone on Thursday night.

No we are talking about one clip of plays.

Exactly. And we saw those flaws manifest in his Patriots career to date. He hasn’t progressed. And he will be 25 years old. He is what he is, a typical 4th round pick QB who isn’t good enough to start in the big leagues.

Time to find a QB with potential to be the answer for us and there isn’t one on the roster right now. Hopefully we’ll find someone on Thursday night.

He's done. Excuse makers need to stop saying small sample size. He's played a lot more than a lot of other QBs in the league and blew his chance. 4 INTs, game over. Not just 1 game, his last college year wasn't good and his 2 pro years haven't been good. But I don't trust the OC to find QB's so I don't want us wasting our first two picks on anything except defense or OLine.

The way I see it is because stidham did not grab control of the starting qb job after Brady left, we have to endure 2 miserable years of newton!

for that alone, stidham should be banished! But because of bb’s poor planning/drafting, we have to keep him.

somebody needs to give bb an enema before this draft so he is focused and not going off script and drafting low rated turds when higher rated studs are on the board!

That’s not what that clip shows. It shows a qb whose OL can’t block who had no open receivers. Criticizing him for not heaving it up to avoid a sack shows you don’t know what you are talking about.
Brady and Marino are the best I've seen at getting rid of a ball quickly and accurately in spite of having defenders coming in untouched.

Last edited:

Time for a Pats' singalong.
Let the OC special... shine her light on me.
Let the OC special... shine her everlovin' light on me.

Last edited:
We don't know that yet. Actually we don't know much at all. Such a small sample size.
Just the fact that Stidham is still here has me somewhat optimistic that he could turn into a QB.

for far longer than we should of.
What is "far longer" when still on rookie deals? What's the extra upside comparatively when you have those players locked into cheap money, fully under your control for a set period of time? Especially when a huge number of players don't actually blossom until their third or fourth year?

Just keep rotating people in the locker room across the entire roster? What message does that send - especially as they already do it a ton with the end of the roster (practice squad and UDFAs)?

Stability isn't just balancing in the pocket when someone has their arm around your ankle - it's also confidence that you'll have a job tomorrow and work to keep it. While yes, there are those where hanging the Sword of Damocles over their heads is a better motivator, for most it's not and is actually the opposite - dispiriting and demotivating.

What is "far longer" when still on rookie deals? What's the extra upside comparatively when you have those players locked into cheap money, fully under your control for a set period of time? Especially when a huge number of players don't actually blossom until their third or fourth year?

Just keep rotating people in the locker room across the entire roster? What message does that send - especially as they already do it a ton with the end of the roster (practice squad and UDFAs)?

Stability isn't just balancing in the pocket when someone has their arm around your ankle - it's also confidence that you'll have a job tomorrow and work to keep it. While yes, there are those where hanging the Sword of Damocles over their heads is a better motivator, for most it's not and is actually the opposite - dispiriting and demotivating.
I agree with the general idea that many players will take two to three years to develop. For instance the jury was totally out on Jeff Allen after year 1, but he got it together in year 2 and now he's projected to be a franchise quarterback. JE11 took a few years to find his role as a punt returner and special teamer then grew into the clutch WR we now know him to be.

The down side is you are using up a roster spot and a bunch of coaching bandwidth and related resources hoping they will develop, with no way of knowing if they ever will become a franchise level player, or a starter, or a backup, or a bust.

IMO the QB position is so important you should take many bites of many apples, keep tasting till you find one you like. The down side of that is those are some costly apples. Think of Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, etc.

I don't think BB puts the same level of value on QB as many/most do. If he did, it would have been us trading up to #3, not SF. He values the potential contribution of every resource, and spending that much draft capital on one player seems to be something he resists, unless he sees a superb value.

Curran's idea is that there is no way BB goes into the year with just Cam and Stid. That's not too high a bar to clear, just pick a fourth round guy and use him for a camp arm and you clear that bar.

I'm sure BB sees Cam for what he is, just a placeholder till he can find someone better, yet he won't over-pay for something better since the team overall talent level still needs improving. Basically Cam is the Vinny Testeverde of his era. Bill would rather tread water and improve the overall team player by player rather than pay what SF paid to move into #3 to get one key player.

Isn’t it clear that SF is going to trade JG as the draft approaches for less than a first? Ask for the moon then get realistic.

I can see us giving them our second. Just like they gave us for him.

Isn’t it clear that SF is going to trade JG as the draft approaches for less than a first? Ask for the moon then get realistic.

No. I don't think it is clear. JG isn't the long-term answer. Trading for a starting contract makes no sense to me. Trading for a used up vet makes no sense to me. Trading for a QB that hasn't, at best, proved anything in the league yet makes no sense to me.

I don't want anything to do with JG. He's just another guy.

I agree, though when depreciation is accounted-for, the price should only be a 3rd-rounder...And that's Only if he agrees to a Significant restructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back