CB Xavier Rhodes 5 years 78 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ras-IR Dowling

2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
A year younger than butler. If Malcolm has a big year these are the types of numbers he's gonna look for next offseason.

Considering he's been a crucial part of two Super Bowl winning teams, and he's improved tremendously in three seasons from an undrafted rookie, to a Pro Bowler in just his second year while becoming the number 1 CB, to becoming a Top 10/All Pro CB in his third year, Butler has been a great player for this team.

I would be truly ecstatic if he were to re-sign but if he doesn't and signs a big contract elsewhere, i'll be really happy for him.

I don't see why Butler won't be franchised.

I don't see why Butler won't be franchised.

I'll just say I hope that he stays one way or another. But I think we won't know that possibility until the season plays out in regards to the QB situation.

it's 6 years. Not 5

Wasn't he one of the guys who undermined Zimmer?

Pretty sure he was already looking for those numbers after 2015.

Sure, he was looking for $15M a year after 2015. Of course, looking doesn't cost anyone anything. He received $600K and $3.9M for 2016 and 2017. The patriots could franchise him for the next two years and still have "saved" lots of money. As it is, I doubt that Belichick will pay $16M or $17M for one year.

Better to keep butler and take the compensatory fur JAG than lose butler to get a higher pick in a trade

What if he signs an extension or is our starting QB next season

Jack-Nicholson-Facepalm.gif

And here we go... o_O

What if he signs an extension or is our starting QB next season
Well if he signed an extension he wouldn't be tagged but there is zero chance of him staying as a backup.
And he can't be our starter because we have the GOAT to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear Rhodes gets 8.126M this year then a 5 year extension worth 70M. So 14M a year average after this year. 14M is about what a top CB makes these days with the cap being what it is and going up.

There isn't much we can take from this for Butler though. Rhodes physically is way closer to Gilmore than Butler size and skill set wise too.

So this is more a confirmation of the Gilmore deal making sense for the Pats than anything. In fact it makes the Gilmore deal look better cause typically you should save money on an extension done a year early. I don't think the Vikings saved much though.

I still think Butler is worth 12-14M a year but it depends on how much you think his height impacts him.

The top paid CBs (average per year) are

Trumaine Johnson 6-2 - 16.7M
Josh Norman 6-0 - 15M
Patrick Peterson 6-1 - 14M
Rhodes 6-1 - 14M
Sherman 6-3 - 14M
Desmon Trufant 6-0 - 13.75
Joe Haden 5-11 - 13.5M
AJ Bouye - 6-0 - 13.5M
Gilmore - 6-0 - 13M
Janoris Jenkins 5-10 - 12.5M
Darius Slay 6-0 - 12M
Maxwell 6-1 - 10.5M

We can stop there. So in this group only Joe Haden (13.5M) and Jenkins (12.5M) are under 6 feet. Butler is listed a lot at 5'11 but I think he is more like 5'10 or maybe a hair under that.

I think Butler getting 14M a year the more I think about it will not happen. Giving him 14M a year says he is the best CB in the NFL under 6 feet. I don't think that is a slam dunk case though he in that convo for sure. I think he is more in line with Jenkins (cause the Browns over paid Haden cause they are the Browns).

I think Butler due to his size is probably more like 12.5M a year. That is the same Jenkins makes and I think they are pretty close players comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft