PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's new toys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady to Brown

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
So what do Josh and Tom do with all of their new toys?

Things are going to change on this side of the ball. How do you think the Patriots will attack on offense if everyone is healthy?

I have some ideas, but I am curious to see what others think.

Re: Bradys new toys...

So what do Josh and Tom do with all of their new toys?

Things are going to change on this side of the ball. How do you think the Patriots will attack on offense if everyone is healthy?

I have some ideas, but I am curious to see what others think.

A lot of 3 WR & 1 TE sets. Should allow Maroney enough freedom to run couple this with the new zone blocking system that he is used to from the Gophers. It will be exciting.

We'll have a balanced attack. Pound the rock, pass the ball when it's open. I sincerely hope we don't turn into the New England Colts. That said though, I do see a lot more downfield passes than previous years.

Welker will replace Brown, and I think this just completely opens up Maroney's game. I think teams are going to shake in their boots and give him all the field to run, ala Addai. I'm not positive about Moss or Stalworth because I've never seen Brady with a real deep threat.

Keep an eye out for Watson, this kid had a solid season last year and would've been a star had he held onto the ball more. I got a gooooooood feeling about him this season!

We'll have a balanced attack. Pound the rock, pass the ball when it's open. I sincerely hope we don't turn into the New England Colts. That said though, I do see a lot more downfield passes than previous years.

Why wouldn't you want us to become the 'New England Colts'?

Their offense is consistently elite in NFL terms, and their potent passing offense opens up the running game.

This offense has only floundered at high profile moments in the playoffs due to Manning choking under the pressure and the outstanding coaching/defense from the Patriots.

We also have a defense (and probably a very good one) to ally to this more potent offense, which is something the Colts don't possess.

Sure, I don't want all our money to go to the offensive side of the ball but if we could run our offense like the Colts it would be no bad thing.

Last edited:

A lot of 3 WR & 1 TE sets. Should allow Maroney enough freedom to run couple this with the new zone blocking system that he is used to from the Gophers. It will be exciting.

I've been wondering about using just 1 TE. Wouldnt it make it obvious if Brady is out there then they're running the ball and with Watson out there they are passing? With Graham out there at least he was more of a threat in the passing game. I'm not sure how they'll use the TEs yet.

I've been wondering about using just 1 TE. Wouldnt it make it obvious if Brady is out there then they're running the ball and with Watson out there they are passing? With Graham out there at least he was more of a threat in the passing game. I'm not sure how they'll use the TEs yet.

Yes, Brady is primarily a blocking TE, but he can catch passes as well.

Last edited:

Why wouldn't you want us to become the 'New England Colts'?

Their offense is consistently elite in NFL terms, and their potent passing offense opens up the running game.

This offense has only floundered at high profile moments in the playoffs due to Manning choking under the pressure and the outstanding coaching/defense from the Patriots.

We also have a defense (and probably a very good one) to ally to this more potent offense, which is something the Colts don't possess.

Sure, I don't want all our money to go to the offensive side of the ball but if we could run our offense like the Colts it would be no bad thing.

We want to be more versatile than the Colts. They run virtually the same formation and the same offense all the time, and they have to beat you one way. If you take them out of their gameplan they can't adjust and attack you in a different way. It works great against bad defenses, but when you play playoff caliber defenses you run into more trouble. Even in the playoff game last year, the Colts offense was doing absolutely nothing and didn't start doing anything until a bunch of the Patriots starters left the games like Seymour, Colvin, and Hawkins. Peyton Manning did start adjusting some this year and taking what the defense gave him instead of trying to force their gameplan, which is why he had a little more success this year than in years past.

The Patriots offense was at it's best in 2004 when it could air it out vertically one, pound the ball and use the short passing game, and screens and trick plays, all from week to week or even in the same game. Hopefully with the personnel they have this year, we will be able to achieve that chameleon, versatile offense again.

We want to be more versatile than the Colts. They run virtually the same formation and the same offense all the time, and they have to beat you one way. If you take them out of their gameplan they can't adjust and attack you in a different way. It works great against bad defenses, but when you play playoff caliber defenses you run into more trouble. Even in the playoff game last year, the Colts offense was doing absolutely nothing and didn't start doing anything until a bunch of the Patriots starters left the games like Seymour, Colvin, and Hawkins. Peyton Manning did start adjusting some this year and taking what the defense gave him instead of trying to force their gameplan, which is why he had a little more success this year than in years past.

The Patriots offense was at it's best in 2004 when it could air it out vertically one, pound the ball and use the short passing game, and screens and trick plays, all from week to week or even in the same game. Hopefully with the personnel they have this year, we will be able to achieve that chameleon, versatile offense again.

I don't know - I think the Colts are as versatile as they need to be on most occasions although they do obviously have their particular strengths.

Its been awhile since we were able to power run with any conviction - we need to sell the pass in order to run successfully.

I think one of the major reasons for our 'versatility' on offense is the lack of genuine game breaking wide receivers.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell and David Givens have done for us but i'd rather not have to see Brady dumping the ball to Evans in the flat.

I'd definitely agree that we need to take what the D is offering if they are attempting to shut one aspect of our game down a lá Minnesota and that goes for running the ball against teams playing deep. (which we haven't seen for a couple of years)

I think it is important to understand that we almost always have a QB and RB on the field, and five linemen. That leaves FOUR other positions to be chosen from WR's, RB's, FB's, TE's and Hbacks.

If we run a three wide receivers base set, we would indeed be the New England Colts, with only one TE and no FB to block for Maroney. We might as well run the no huddle. Also, with three WR's as the base set, Watson has no significant role on the team. Someone needs to be picking up the blitz and blocking, presumably a better blocking TE or a FB. In the end, I guess, we may be alternating Welker and Watson.

I think that two wide receivers is much more likely as the base set, with 2 TE's or 1 TE and a FB. Welker would be reduced to a punt returner, and a passing yardage slot receiver, which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3