PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boutte arrested for underage gambling while he was at LSU

Yeah if he was betting on LSU then that’s a problem.
IMO, If he was betting ON LSU it is a minor problem and only because of the amount bet and the number of bets.
If he was betting AGAINST LSU it is a major problem.

Making 9000 bets on your own team is indeed a big deal, especially for a 6th round draft choice.

Yes, we look the other way when there are inefficiencies in organizations that top qb's invest in. The standard isn't the same, nor should it be.

I'm really not saying that Boutte's case isn't bad. Not sure where you got that.

And yes, reading past the headline helps - it shows Wilson's organization only truly donating 25 cents on the dollar on millions of dollars. I'd argue that's way way worse and affects people much closer to you and I than betting does.

"The investigation found that Wilson's foundation spent $600,000 on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 but spent nearly twice as much, $1.1 million, on salaries and non-charity related benefits."

What a favorable headline Wilson got lmao.

IMO, If he was betting ON LSU it is a minor problem and only because of the amount bet and the number of bets.
OK, for you the law is irrelevant and college rules are irrelevant.

I'm really not saying that Boutte's case isn't bad. Not sure where you got that.

And yes, reading past the headline helps - it shows Wilson's organization only truly donating 25 cents on the dollar on millions of dollars. I'd argue that's way way worse and affects people much closer to you and I than betting does.

"The investigation found that Wilson's foundation spent $600,000 on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 but spent nearly twice as much, $1.1 million, on salaries and non-charity related benefits."

What a favorable headline Wilson got lmao.
fair enough

Lots of charities are inefficient. I actually subscribe to a publication that gives me that information on the larger charities. I strongly agree that the Wilson should have gotten more coverage. Are you saying that the national sports press ignore this, or that the local non-sports presses ignored this.

It is a MAJOR problem in either case if it is true.

fair enough

Lots of charities are inefficient. I actually subscribe to a publication that gives me that information on the larger charities. I strongly agree that the Wilson should have gotten more coverage. Are you saying that the national sports press ignore this, or that the local non-sports presses ignored this.

None of them followed up. All the reporting broke on Feb... 3rd? if I remember correctly. There was some very brief update to an article in October, but I think it was just a "hey let's get some clicks on this again" as the content didn't really change. He had some ******** IG post where he basically said "sry we're learning oopsie lol"

OK, for you the law is irrelevant and college rules are irrelevant.
Maybe so.
Betting underage to me is like drinking underage. Against the law, but still no big deal.
Millions of years ago, when I was in college, we had a pre-season team meeting and were told the do and don'ts. Gambling was mentioned but not emphasized. I felt it was more of "don't ask/don't tell" issue. However, If you had bet against your team, you should and would face some serious problems including physical harm. Maybe that was just the group I grew up with. Then again I was running football parlay cards for the local bookie when I was in HS.

Meanwhile, the NFL slurps up $1 billion+ every year from agreements with sports bookies. Hypocrites.
Yeah, I can't imagine what my friends or I would have done in the age of DraftKings, etc.

Last edited:
Feels like the league will either see this as totally unimportant and do nothing or make it a huge deal and suspend him way over the top. There’s really no telling.

I do think players like Ridley deserve a one year ban for doing it while in the nfl because it puts the gambling contracts which benefit both owners and players (which people seem to forget) in jeopardy. But Boutte was not in the nfl so who really cares.

Meanwhile, the NFL slurps up $1 billion+ every year from agreements with sports bookies. Hypocrites.
And which underaged NFL employees are betting on games?
If they are, they should fired.

Feels like the league will either see this as totally unimportant and do nothing or make it a huge deal and suspend him way over the top. There’s really no telling.

I do think players like Ridley deserve a one year ban for doing it while in the nfl because it puts the gambling contracts which benefit both owners and players (which people seem to forget) in jeopardy. But Boutte was not in the nfl so who really cares.
If the league goes all sanctimonious on this then I want an outsider investigation of NFL officiating and point-shaving.

Seems to me that, as is the case in many criminal investigations, they arrested the person on a minor crime (underage gambling) so that they could investigate the real crime (gambling on LSU football).

I agree arresting someone for underage gambling is a joke, but having hundreds of thousands of dollars of action on LSU football while he was a player there is a big deal.
Lookup what happened at Iowa State last year. This isn’t a new focus.

NCAA wants to be hardos about student athletes gambling.

To me, it’s incredibly hypocritical given I see 500 sponsorships/weeks from Draft Kings, and Caesars but this is the NCAA we are talking about

I’m betting 1 year suspension. NFL is also taking hard line.

Believe that’s what Ridley got.

If so, I think NE just cuts him

Where did he get hundreds of thousands of dollars to bet? Nil money?

I’m betting 1 year suspension. NFL is also taking hard line.

Believe that’s what Ridley got.

If so, I think NE just cuts him
I am not sure the NFL can suspend him for something that happened before he was an NFL player, though this may be an exception since it is an on-field transgression.

I am not sure the NFL can suspend him for something that happened before he was an NFL player, though this may be an exception since it is an on-field transgression.
They can…they quietly changed some rules last offseason to allow them to impose discipline for things that happened in college

They can…they quietly changed some rules last offseason to allow them to impose discipline for things that happened in college
Make sense. So yeah, the Calvin Ridley 1-year suspension seems like a reasonable precedent here.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back