PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booing a 12-3 home team for going 3 and out: No Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
booing lets them know that their performance is not up to snuff, so to speak. I'm all for it. It may have been the trigger that spurred them on in the second half.

Yeah, definitely. It couldn't have been Belichick or their own competitive fire, but rather, a reminder from the crowd that they paid a lot of money, that caused that second half comeback.

I wish that had worked last year in the playoffs.

We discussed this on Russ Goldman's podcast Patritos Fourth and Two (I'm the English dude on his show) and I outlined pretty much what I will say here.

I went over to Foxboro' in 2008 to watch us play the Rams, and I was heavily disappointed in the atmosphere. I don't care for the 'open stadium' excuses, my local soccer team in League 2 (3 divisions below the Premiership) can make more noise with less than 10, 000 people in the stands...FACT.

We have one of the quietest stadium's int he NFL, so much so we cannot argue that '12th Man' advantage with the crowd...we have rarely been able to boast that. Occasional games (like when we annihilated the Jets) I have been impressed...but they are very rare occasions.

There was a game where our fan group over here, the UKPatriots went over and they were told to 'sit down and shut up' by some fans for making 'too much noise'...what the hell is all I have to say to that. Now I know to some it may seem different down in the stands but you can definitely tell the difference when watching on TV the difference between Gillette and other NFL stadia.

We have been spoilt over the years and it reflects int he fans attitudes. They cheer when the offense puts the points up, they stay dead quiet when our defense is on the field....opposing QBs must love playing at Gillette when the weather is good!

Fans don't make enough noise for our team and get behind them, for them to have the right to boo in my eyes...paying customer or not..get behind your team more, then boo when things go bad.

Last edited:
First off. There probably aren't many well documented homers on this site as me. I have a 5 years of pretty much parroting "in BB we trust", even when in my mind I was like "WTF is Bill thinking". The Patriots are an extraordinarily important part of my life (just ask my wife :D). I've been a fan for 35 years. Through the highest of high and the lowest of lows.

All that said....... When I make my annual or semi-annual trek eastward to the Razor for a game with my kids, it's over $1000 bucks. I'm not a rich man, and that represents a decent chunk of money to me. I wasn't there on Sunday, but had I been............ after witnessing the first half of what we put out...... I might have booed too. It was crap effort, in a game that represented TOO MUCH with it's possible implications (HFA through the playoffs).

You may call it a spoiled fanbase, but I actually call it high expectations. It one of the things that separates our team from everyone else. High expectations, from players, to coaches, and yes..... even us fans. When you have a chance to close the door on a team, or a season, or a division championship, or home field advantage........ I EXPECT my Patriots to do everything that they can stand up an play...... not lay down like a bunch of dogs.

In the first half....... they laid down like dogs, and they heard about it from us fans (and more from the coaches at halftime). We've have come to expect much more from a group of players who play for this team. In the second half, they stood up like men, and got the job done, and were ROUNDLY applauded by their very appreciative fans for it.

I'd suggest you take a lesson from BB's playbook. 12-3 means d!ck when the Bills come in here to play this week, and if we manage to win on Sunday, our 13-3 regular season total will mean d!ck to the 1st playoff opponent that comes in. If we come out and lay down, we'll get steamrolled. You either bring it 100% all the time, or don't bother. Thats the Patriots way.

If you wanna just shrug your shoulders when they have an off day and say "it's okay guys, at least you tried"...... then you are probably cheering for the wrong team. I suggest the Bills, or even the Browns....... Their fanbases have low expectations that are probably closer to yours then the Patriots.

If you cannot justify spending $1000 on attending a game unless they win, you've morphed into a frontrunner consumer fan and perhaps you should spend your income on something guaranteed to reward you. And if not, at least use the experience to teach your kids about good sportsmanship. The odds that all 11 guys on the field when those boos reign down are laying down like dogs are remote. On this team the vast majority of guys you're booing are overachievers who bust their ass every day just to make it in the NFL. Many of them also spend countless hours and some also countless thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars helping the less fortunate amongst their fan base. Just a decade ago the most any fan at a Patriots game could hope for down the stretch was a home playoff game. How quickly they have become spoiled and entitled entertainment consumers hoping for, or actually demanding guaranteed bang for their bucks. That's the change winning 3 of 4 brought to NE, expanded it's constituency from a hardcore football fanbase to an entitled consumer base.

First off. There probably aren't many well documented homers on this site as me. I have a 5 years of pretty much parroting "in BB we trust", even when in my mind I was like "WTF is Bill thinking". The Patriots are an extraordinarily important part of my life (just ask my wife :D). I've been a fan for 35 years. Through the highest of high and the lowest of lows.

All that said....... When I make my annual or semi-annual trek eastward to the Razor for a game with my kids, it's over $1000 bucks. I'm not a rich man, and that represents a decent chunk of money to me. I wasn't there on Sunday, but had I been............ after witnessing the first half of what we put out...... I might have booed too. It was crap effort, in a game that represented TOO MUCH with it's possible implications (HFA through the playoffs).

You may call it a spoiled fanbase, but I actually call it high expectations. It one of the things that separates our team from everyone else. High expectations, from players, to coaches, and yes..... even us fans. When you have a chance to close the door on a team, or a season, or a division championship, or home field advantage........ I EXPECT my Patriots to do everything that they can stand up an play...... not lay down like a bunch of dogs.

In the first half....... they laid down like dogs, and they heard about it from us fans (and more from the coaches at halftime). We've have come to expect much more from a group of players who play for this team. In the second half, they stood up like men, and got the job done, and were ROUNDLY applauded by their very appreciative fans for it.

I'd suggest you take a lesson from BB's playbook. 12-3 means d!ck when the Bills come in here to play this week, and if we manage to win on Sunday, our 13-3 regular season total will mean d!ck to the 1st playoff opponent that comes in. If we come out and lay down, we'll get steamrolled. You either bring it 100% all the time, or don't bother. Thats the Patriots way.

If you wanna just shrug your shoulders when they have an off day and say "it's okay guys, at least you tried"...... then you are probably cheering for the wrong team. I suggest the Bills, or even the Browns....... Their fanbases have low expectations that are probably closer to yours then the Patriots.

Please save your money next time you get an itch to sacrifice it in the name of high expectations that might be dashed by players who "lay down like dogs." I shudder to think what kind of example your kids will take from you.

Last edited:

Perhaps when the Pats aren't meeting your "paid for expectations" the scoreboard could encourage boo's from the "fans" just like it call for noise? :rolleyes:

Please save your money next time you get an itch to sacrifice it in the name of high expectations that might be dashed by players who "lay down like dogs." I shudder to think what kind of example your kids will take from you.

Save your condensation for someone that gives a crap. Boy, for someone that usually posts good stuff, you really exposed yourself in this thread. I'll chalk it up to a bad day.

If you cannot justify spending $1000 on attending a game unless they win, you've morphed into a frontrunner consumer fan and perhaps you should spend your income on something guaranteed to reward you. And if not, at least use the experience to teach your kids about good sportsmanship. The odds that all 11 guys on the field when those boos reign down are laying down like dogs are remote. On this team the vast majority of guys you're booing are overachievers who bust their ass every day just to make it in the NFL. Many of them also spend countless hours and some also countless thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars helping the less fortunate amongst their fan base. Just a decade ago the most any fan at a Patriots game could hope for down the stretch was a home playoff game. How quickly they have become spoiled and entitled entertainment consumers hoping for, or actually demanding guaranteed bang for their bucks. That's the change winning 3 of 4 brought to NE, expanded it's constituency from a hardcore football fanbase to an entitled consumer base.

Actually, the game we went to this year was the Giants game. The only game we lost this year at home. We had a ball nonetheless. It was a great game right down to the end...... but sadly we lost. No regrets at all. It was a hard fought battle that we came up on the short end. I wouldn't change a thing. Money well spent. I also saw the Buffalo game in Buffalo (another loss). Sucked that we lost that one too, but we went down swinging. I still walked proudly out of the stadium with my Pats gear on, despite the crap I had to take.

The only thing I expect for my $$ is a solid effort. If you think the the Patriots were giving that solid effort in the first half of last week that you are not nearly as smart as most of your posts seem to indicate that you are. We came out flat, and were giving sh!t effort. I have no problem with boos in the 1st half of last weeks game. If you do, fine....... But don't sit here and pretend you were here before the rest of us sonny boy....... Some others of us remember the Hugh Millen days too. :rolleyes:

I'm a bigger homer then you are, and I can at least admit that when I see uninspired play. You seem to have trouble with that.

Last edited:
Save your condensation for someone that gives a crap. Boy, for someone that usually posts good stuff, you really exposed yourself in this thread. I'll chalk it up to a bad day.

Yeah, but you gave enough of a crap to respond. Thanks for giving me a pass on the bad day. Posts like yours bring that sort of thing out in me. ;)

BOOOOOO i spent money and youre not winning!!!!!!!!!! So any time this team loses they can expect it to rain down boo's thats BS....High expectations yeah IMPOSSIBLE expectations team is playing amazing compared to other teams were #1 in the AFC and youre going to boo them??????? You know how many teams have a scoreless half and were fortunate enough to not had done that in how long so you boo?????? cmon man thought pats fanbase was better then that.

When you boo youre making their chances of winning less......PLAYERS DO PLAY OFF THE CROWD so kick them when theyre down??? NO PICK THEM UP AND HELP LEAD THE COMEBACK. ANYONE BOO'ing can be a fan of another team like the EAGLES, GIANTS, JETS etc......BYE

Leave the boo's to BB and every other person in the locker room. You're a FAN

I can't believe I read all 19 pages of this crap.

Naturally, I was pretty ticked at halftime...I mean who wouldn't be? I knew the OL really took a hit with Light out and then Mankins... That particular OL lineup we used probably never had any reps like that in practice, so getting used to that rotation during an actual game with a decent front 7 wasn't easy. That said, I was still pissed at halftime. But I would never boo our own team...Booing is what I do to opposing teams.

The pure intent of a Boo is to motivate the team towards winning? There's no proof that this has any positive effects so enough of this Boo salesmanship already.

How can booing be justified when opposing teams get cricket chirping. sounds like a lot more energy is being wasted on the pats. why expend so much energy? not booing the pats and saving it for an opponent is the best solution. Proven and tested around the country, Boo away but at least boo opponent louder.

Last edited:
The pure intent of a Boo is to motivate the team towards winning? There's no proof that this has any positive effects so enough of this Boo salesmanship already.

How can booing be justified when opposing teams get cricket chirping. sounds like a lot more energy is being wasted on the pats. why expend so much energy? not booing the pats and saving it for an opponent is the best solution. Proven and tested around the country, Boo away but at least boo opponent louder.

Seriously. Channel the frustration and put it to good use by spending it on the opposing team. Harder said than done probably... but it definitely seems like the best solution.

I finally got to watch the game and I'm not sure where someone would be booing. There were select plays that were poor obviously, but it's not like we were completely inept for 60 minutes against a horrible team. The phins are better than their record and they are also a divisional opponent. Also, as has been mentioned, our oline and secondary are full of practice squad players.
I saw no point where booing was called for. So, for the fans that boo'd, BOOOOOOO to you!

yeah!!! boo to those fans that boo!! that's right....MUCH MUCH better to spend the game HERE...on the game thread .....oh....uh....wait..:bricks:

I finally got to watch the game and I'm not sure where someone would be booing. There were select plays that were poor obviously, but it's not like we were completely inept for 60 minutes against a horrible team. The phins are better than their record and they are also a divisional opponent. Also, as has been mentioned, our oline and secondary are full of practice squad players.
I saw no point where booing was called for. So, for the fans that boo'd, BOOOOOOO to you!

They were booing because the team punted on 6 consecutive drives in the first half, including 3 three-and-outs. If that's not boo-worthy, I don't know what is.

Agreed, they were completely inept for 30 minutes, and that is when you heard the boos.
There were no boos when they were playing well (second half), and that the way it should work......

play poorly = boo
play well = cheer

When you pay for your seats, you can do what you want. If others don't like it, they can stuff it. If it weren't for ticket holders, they wouldn't be watching the games as most were blacked out before most of these complainers were born. This thread is a complete waste of space and for those who don't like it, buy out the stadium and fill it with people you want. Until then, stuff it.

Actually, the game we went to this year was the Giants game. The only game we lost this year at home. We had a ball nonetheless. It was a great game right down to the end...... but sadly we lost. No regrets at all. It was a hard fought battle that we came up on the short end. I wouldn't change a thing. Money well spent. I also saw the Buffalo game in Buffalo (another loss). Sucked that we lost that one too, but we went down swinging. I still walked proudly out of the stadium with my Pats gear on, despite the crap I had to take.

The only thing I expect for my $$ is a solid effort. If you think the the Patriots were giving that solid effort in the first half of last week that you are not nearly as smart as most of your posts seem to indicate that you are. We came out flat, and were giving sh!t effort. I have no problem with boos in the 1st half of last weeks game. If you do, fine....... But don't sit here and pretend you were here before the rest of us sonny boy....... Some others of us remember the Hugh Millen days too. :rolleyes:

I'm a bigger homer then you are, and I can at least admit that when I see uninspired play. You seem to have trouble with that.

This... x1000.
I try not to get drawn into arguing in threads in this forum, and yesterday I did...and I saw this thread today and I said, no way....but here I am.
I not only remember the Hugh Millen days, I remember being excited when the Pats drafted both Jim Plunkett and Randy Vataha...both were from Stanford, and IIRC, both had had great senior years. Hopes were high for both, and for the team, and although they had some success, it didn't pan out for the Pats the way most had hoped. I went to games back then, too...and yes, fans booed sometimes back then, just like they cheered sometimes.
If someone doesn't want to boo the team, ever, fine. But, as I have said before, just because someone does boo on occasion, doesn't make them a bad fan, a bad person or...and this is unbelievable to me...a bad example for a son or daughter...as was alleged above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes