PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bert Breer thinks Nick Caserio could be named OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFW in Progress says that he might have been calling plays last season. We know that he was assisting O'Shea with the wide receivers.

Where was he calliing them from, a satellite? O'Brien was clearly calling the plays.

Of course as director of pro personnel from 04-06 maybe it would be better to have him coaching on the field...:rolleyes:

GM trumps OC and if he's in running for the OC job he's fallen off his own fast track. Makes zero sense.

There is a knock on his ability to teach.. he is a genius in his own right, but as far as teaching goes- haven't been hearing anything good.

Well, as a head coach, teaching is not nearly as important as strategy. Position coaches do the most teaching and the higher up the chain you go, the less teaching you do because you don't spend as much time on an individual level with players. I don't think his lack of teaching skills would stop him from being a head coach.

Besides, I have only heard one report that he isn't much of a teacher and for all we know, it could be overblown.

Ahem.

1999-2000 Saginaw Valley State (Graduate Assistant)
2001 Central Michigan (Graduate Assistant)
2001 New England Patriots (Personnel Assistant)
2002 New England Patriots (Offensive Coaching Assistant)
2003 New England Patriots (Area Scout)
2004-2006 New England Patriots (Director of Pro Personnel)
2007 New England Patriots (Wide Receivers Coach)
2008-2009 New England Patriots (Director of Player Personnel)

Oh well, honestly I didn't take note of any of this until I saw that Caserio moved from coaching WRs to the front office. I assumed that was his path. So, he has two years of pro coaching experience.

Where was he calliing them from, a satellite? O'Brien was clearly calling the plays.

Of course as director of pro personnel from 04-06 maybe it would be better to have him coaching on the field...:rolleyes:

GM trumps OC and if he's in running for the OC job he's fallen off his own fast track. Makes zero sense.

No, Caserio was in the coaches box in every game. There's a Patriots All-Access video on Patriots.com about it.

Very possible, I'd have to agree with Chris Pat more though. It seems that Caserio has been involved with everything in the organization. You have to like a potential coach who has dipped his toes in multiple areas.

I agree. As Belichick told McDaniels in his last year here, you need to learn both personnel and coaching to be a head coach in this league. Caserio has done both.

Caserio was sitting in the press box next to Ernie Adams. It is conceivable he was on the headsets talking directly to Brady or at least advising O'Brien on play calls. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

As for what track Caserio is on, he might want to be a head coach over a GM. I see coaching and management as two different tracks. I don't see becoming a coordinator as falling down on the track level, but just going on a different track. Every coordinator that has coached under Belichick here have gotten head coaching jobs other than Pees. Besides, being a head coach could earn you both jobs. Mangini until they hired Holmgren seemed to have both job eventhough they had Kokinis as a propped up suit.

Speaking of Kokinis, I think he would be a great replacement for Floyd Reese if he leaves or if Caserio does go back into coaching. Kokinis was intrical in some of the Ravens drafts that were huge hits. He also has a history with Belichick serving as an area scout under him. He stupidily trusted Mangini in Cleveland and paid the price. I don't blame him for the Browns' woes.

Last edited:
Here's the video:

Patriots All Access - 10/2/2009

(Just ignore the whole "we'll beat Baltimore" and "Fred Taylor is healthy" parts...the relevant part is at 28:00)

Last edited:
Caserio was sitting in the press box next to Ernie Adams. It is conceivable he was on the headsets talking directly to Brady or at least advising O'Brien on play calls. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

As for what track Caserio is on, he might want to be a head coach over a GM. I see coaching and management as two different tracks. I don't see becoming a coordinator as falling down on the track level, but just going on a different track. Every coordinator that has coached under Belichick here have gotten head coaching jobs other than Pees. Besides, being a head coach could earn you both jobs. Mangini until they hired Holmgren seemed to have both job eventhough they had Kokinis as a propped up suit.

Speaking of Kokinis, I think he would be a great replacement for Floyd Reese if he leaves or if Caserio does go back into coaching. Kokinis was intrical in some of the Ravens drafts that were huge hits. He also has a history with Belichick serving as an area scout under him. He stupidily trusted Mangini in Cleveland and paid the price. I don't blame him for the Browns' woes.

I was thinking the same thing with Kokinis.

Going back to 2003 or 2004, people used to call Brady a dinker and dunker back then, but the stats told the real story. He had the highest yards per attempt (or was it catch?) in the league. So either he was getting a lot more YAC than anyone or he was slinging it.

You also look at those Super Bowls and he was doing anything but managing the game. He was winning it.

Are these the stats of a game manager?

32/48, 354 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

People take Brady lightly. They still think of Brady as a conservative game manager, and they ignore the stats and they ignore the great performances.

People don't even realize that Brady has the record for completions in a Super Bowl. They don't realize that Antowain Smith ran the ball 26 times for 82 yards and a whopping 3.3 average per carry.

After Kurt Warner's performance, this is example #1 that a Super Bowl can be won by someone's arm in a passing duel. It wasn't the running game that won it for the Patriots. It wasn't the defense that gave up 325 passing yards. It was Tom freakin' Brady slinging it like a madman, in a Super Bowl performance that ranks as one of the greatest for QBs.

Very well put.

I think people forget that Tom Brady has better numbers than Peyton Manning both indoor and outdoors - the only difference is the frequency in which the two played indoors. And if you look at 2003 & 2004, you see the only thing that really slowed down Brady was weather. It's no wonder they installed field turf in Gillette.

I'd rather keep Caserio in front office and go with Bill Callahan as OC. We need to bring some toughness back to this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes