PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB’s conflict of interest is behind the imbalance

Guess what? Bill's defensive game plan from Super Bowl XXV is 6 inches to the left of being in the garbage bin of football history just like every other well intentioned game plan.
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?? The thread is about the alleged nepotism of BB so his kids can have an NFL legacy/

Toxic?
I like toxicity
I'm shocked...

Home Alone Reaction GIF by Freeform

While an interesting theory, it is very unlikely. The nepotism would come into it in terms of showing them favourism at their job (e.g. spending more time with them, promoting them easily, being more forgiving...).

Belichick has always favored defense in his resource allocation. Most of his 1st round picks for example have gone on D. Probably the same with round 2. I assume it's where his comfort area is or easier for him to evaluate. He also comes from a school of D wins games and so likely for him to allocate more resources there.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Bill just lost his mojo. Simple as that.

The fact that BB has his sons coaching defense has been discussed thoroughly, yet I believe that the most salient aspect of the conflict of interest is at the heart of the team’s imbalance. As a father your natural instinct is to set it up for your children to have the best chance possible to succeed. The team has become so one sided and imbalanced I believe it has to do with his instinct to ensure his sons succeed. Although the prevailing thought was that BB was an old school smashmouth style coach, I don’t think that is entirely true as earlier in his tenure he would see how the league was trending and adapt the style of team to succeed in that environment. He got Moss, Welker, and Stallworth when he saw the league wanted to open up the air game. Now he seems oddly fixated solely on the defense, to the point of total neglect of the offense. I can understand the misses on skill players (not at his rate though) but even an untrained fan could watch the offensive line turn into absolute garbage over the last 3 years. I don’t care if you have Brady, Moss and Welker in their prime, a terrible offensive line is a death sentence. The only conclusion I can come up with for this is that he has become myopic to the point of neglect with the offense due to his desire to create a successful path for his sons and demand for them as coaches after he retires.
I remember when the question of his kids first came up and I thought about what I'd do if it were my sons and I. I'd absolutely try to find them a place and even if I didn't my wife would help me along.

I can see Bill favoring his kids to a small degree but if he's not providing offense it's not because he's doing anything intentionally to help the defense. He's just better at defense and maybe he thinks it's more important than offense.

The retreads bother me more than the family stuff. It’s obvious they need some new ideas and new voices and they’re bringing back Judge, Patricia, O’Brien, etc. But yeah, in the end if they had the players, none if this would matter much.
There ha$ to be rea$on$ why they got $ome of tho$e coache$. I ju$t wi$h I could figure it out.

I've been saying this for a while. With gaping holes at T and WR, you take defensive players with the first 3 picks? (Gonzo is likely going to be really good but that's the type of player at that position you get when your house is more or less in order up and down the roster). That's not by mistake. The only thing that makes sense is that consciously or unconsciously, BB is trying to help his kids out.
Disagree on Gonzo. If you don’t have a shutdown CB and one with that potential inexplicably falls into your lap, you take him, regardless of how many holes you have on offense. The only (non-QB)?exception would be if a franchise LT also falls into your lap in the same draft. In that scenario, you’d probably take the LT, because an elite LT is even harder to find than an elite CB.

Also disagree that he was drafting for his sons, but I have no interest in diving into that pool.

Even if that was a consideration for the Krafts, why would McDaniels want the gig when he’s owed $11 million a year for the next four years from the Raiders? With offsets, he’d be working for free.
Depending on the contract he has with the Raiders, it might require him to work in good faith to procure employment to help offset the amount owed

Disagree on Gonzo. If you don’t have a shutdown CB and one with that potential inexplicably falls into your lap, you take him, regardless of how many holes you have on offense. The only (non-QB)?exception would be if a franchise LT also falls into your lap in the same draft. In that scenario, you’d probably take the LT, because an elite LT is even harder to find than an elite CB.

Also disagree that he was drafting for his sons, but I have no interest in diving into that pool.
You have to be able to score points. The defense's job isn't to score points. With glaring needs on offense, sometimes you have to daft for need instead of "best player on the board". Was their need at CB? Sure but the needs of the offense were and remain greater.

so I just heard Breer say on 98.5, and I quote...."Bill is operating as though he is going to be here next year"
Mind. Blown.

so I just heard Breer say on 98.5, and I quote...."Bill is operating as though he is going to be here next year"
Mind. Blown.
Why is your mind blown? Does he act like a dude on the hot seat to you? He’s exactly the same as he always has been. Nothing has changed. Nothing will. They’ll try some stupid **** in the offseason that wont work out before it all really crashes and burns. If you think things can’t get worse, buckle up buttercup. We’re about to go on a ride.

The fact that BB has his sons coaching defense has been discussed thoroughly, yet I believe that the most salient aspect of the conflict of interest is at the heart of the team’s imbalance. As a father your natural instinct is to set it up for your children to have the best chance possible to succeed. The team has become so one sided and imbalanced I believe it has to do with his instinct to ensure his sons succeed. Although the prevailing thought was that BB was an old school smashmouth style coach, I don’t think that is entirely true as earlier in his tenure he would see how the league was trending and adapt the style of team to succeed in that environment. He got Moss, Welker, and Stallworth when he saw the league wanted to open up the air game. Now he seems oddly fixated solely on the defense, to the point of total neglect of the offense. I can understand the misses on skill players (not at his rate though) but even an untrained fan could watch the offensive line turn into absolute garbage over the last 3 years. I don’t care if you have Brady, Moss and Welker in their prime, a terrible offensive line is a death sentence. The only conclusion I can come up with for this is that he has become myopic to the point of neglect with the offense due to his desire to create a successful path for his sons and demand for them as coaches after he retires.
You should always get the best player's possible.

Gonzalez and Keion White were the right choices. Selecting Quentin Johnston or Treylon Burks would've been the WRONG choices.

If you're filling your draft choices based on need, you're passing on potential all-pros all for some short terms results.

As for offensive line, do some analysis and you might be surprised to find that the Patriots have spent more draft choices on lineman recently than any other team: 1st rounder, 4th rounder, 4th rounder, 5th rounder, 6th rounder, 7th rounder. I checked other needy OL teams like the Rams, Bills and Bengals, and they did less: Rams 2nd, 3rd, 5th; Bills 2nd, 6th, 7th; Bengals 4th.

You should always get the best player's possible.

Gonzalez and Keion White were the right choices. Selecting Quentin Johnston or Treylon Burks would've been the WRONG choices.

If you're filling your draft choices based on need, you're passing on potential all-pros all for some short terms results.

As for offensive line, do some analysis and you might be surprised to find that the Patriots have spent more draft choices on lineman recently than any other team: 1st rounder, 4th rounder, 4th rounder, 5th rounder, 6th rounder, 7th rounder. I checked other needy OL teams like the Rams, Bills and Bengals, and they did less: Rams 2nd, 3rd, 5th; Bills 2nd, 6th, 7th; Bengals 4th.
Best is subjective. And if you go with that strategy, you end up where the Pats are. Good-to-great defense with depth and a offense that can't put points on the board. The best way to build a team is via the draft and retaining players that you draft and develop. BB has flat out refused to do that over the last 4-5 years.

In the draft, you have to stay true to your board and take the best player available.

Bb lost his mind when he looked at his offensive tackles and thought adding the two JAGs was going to improve the line!!!!!

Also bb should never be allowed to grade, sign or draft wide receivers. Let objective personnel guys do that.

In the draft, you have to stay true to your board and take the best player available.

Bb lost his mind when he looked at his offensive tackles and thought adding the two JAGs was going to improve the line!!!!!

Also bb should never be allowed to grade, sign or draft wide receivers. Let objective personnel guys do that.
For most of Brady's career in New England, it would have been insane for the Patriots to pick the best player available if that player was a quarterback.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back