PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We Extending Hoyer? He'll Be 34 in OCT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just because Brady can play at 43, doesn't mean that that we should be extending mere mortals like Hoyer.

We need a backup for Brady for 2020 and 2021 (and 2022)

God I hope not.

Just because Brady can play at 43, doesn't mean that that we should be extending mere mortals like Hoyer.

We need a backup for Brady for 2020 and 2021 (and 2022)

Don’t forget ‘23, ‘24 and ‘25

Why make the decision now? There wont be much of a market for him next offseason.

Where does Hoyer rank among BACKUP QBs? I'd think he'd be up there, he's one of the few backups who has been mistaken for a starter for good chunk of his career and has probably played as a starter more than just about everyone.

Something like:

Tyrod Taylor
Fitzmagic
Tannehill
Bridgewater
Bortles
Brissett
- Hoyer?
Henne
Siemian

(A post about QB2 is OK during the offseason, right?)

I would pay Hoyer the same amount to be an assistant QB coach just to keep him around in case of emergency.

Draft the rookie for the future, or future backup and keep him around for another year. It doesn’t hurt and he fits in with Tom and the locker room. Cap hit isn’t bad either so it doesn’t hurt.

I don't think he can throw a Microsoft tablet 10 yards without it getting intercepted ... so I hope not.

His performance last Pre-Season was dreadful. Im hopeful he'll be QB #3 after the Draft.

I agree.

Hoyer is around for 2019 in any case. He already has collected $200K, and is guaranteed $1.5M more.

My issue is preparing for 2020 and 2021.

I would think that we could draft a QB who could be a backup after a year of training in the system. If he's good enough,whe could reap dividends in the future as our #1 QB, or for someone else's, after a trade.

The cost is a roster 2019 roster spot.

Draft the rookie for the future, or future backup and keep him around for another year. It doesn’t hurt and he fits in with Tom and the locker room. Cap hit isn’t bad either so it doesn’t hurt.

Last edited:
Gee I hope not.:rolleyes:

If we don't expect Hoyer to be the backup in 2020 and 2021, it would likely be more expensive to get a backup in next year's offseason than in this year's draft.

Grab best avail QB in Rd 3 :)

I used to be a Hoyer fan. He had some decent years and looked pretty decent in his first stint with the Patriots. He was terrible last year in preseason. Just awful. Whatever he had, he lost it.

I used to be a Hoyer fan. He had some decent years and looked pretty decent in his first stint with the Patriots. He was terrible last year in preseason. Just awful. Whatever he had, he lost it.

Yep that fairy dust wears off after the clock strikes 12:00. Hoyer is at the climax of his career I hope he's one of our customary TC Retirees.

I agree. He was decent. Then Cleveland happened and he's been shell-shocked ever since. His last game in HOU still makes me cringe.

Grab best avail QB in Rd 3 :)

That’s where I’m at. I can see Ryan Finley here. I personally like thorsen in this area but it’s close. I know Finley’s arm strength isn’t that good but I can see the pats liking his overall size and imo his best skill (the way he’s able to move in the pocket to buy that extra time). There’s potential here as a developmental qb.

It wasn't Cleveland.

He was actually 5-4 in Houston after Cleveland. 19Tds-7ints.

Then he went full-Delholmme in the playoffs and hasn't been the same since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes