PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Team Might Be Interested in Pioli

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Apparently Phil Savage of the Browns his asking for his job responsibilities to be reduced and this article talked of possible candidates the Browns might bring in to take of the responsibilities that Savage would be losing.

Another name that is being mentioned in connection with the possible reassignment of Savage is Scott Pioli, the V.P. of player personnel in New England. Pioli worked for the Browns in the 1990s. Though he has rebuffed past opportunities with other teams and is by all appearances happy in his current position, some think that Cleveland is one of the few teams that would pique his interest. Under league rules, he could leave for another team without the blessing of the Patriots only if the new job involves final say over the composition of the roster.

It's only a rumor but I think it's worth keeping an eye on. I'm still not sure what would motivate Pioli to go to the hell hole that is the Browns. Money I guess, but he isn't handsomely paid by the Pats as well as getting to be on a winning team?

Last edited:
That seems unlikely to me, to get Pioli they'd have to have him run the show and have Savage subordinate to him - I'm sure Savage is looking for the opposite, an underling to do the stuff he isn't as comfortable with.

I don't see what has changed between now and when he chose to re-sign with NE. He had a chance to go elsewhere for more money and power and chose to stay. This is pure speculation.

Reduced to what? It would take 2 people to do the ****ty job he's doing?

I agree that he might take it under consideration..but conditions here are great..so why leave?? Another SB or two..vs the unknown...

Sorry, if I realized it was the rumormill I would have saved the cyber ink it took to type that.:rolleyes:

Scott reportedly turned down an offer from the bottomless and un-salary-capped pockets of the Seahawks' owner, Allen.

Could Lerner, in Cleveland, top ... or even MATCH ... the money and existing competitive prominence of Seattle?
I don't think so.

I think his motivation along with the Kraft's, BB and key players on the team that have been there all decade is the same for everyone.

To go down in history as the greatest team that ever was. This is well within their reach and they are exactly 1/2 way there IMHO.

Six Superbowl victories in 10-12 years would most definitely do it.

I have real difficulty seeing why anyone would want to go to Cleveland. The organization is just such a perpetual mess.

I could see him taking over for Accorsi and run the NY Giants, he is from Connecticut and the NY market combined with the history of the Giants makes it a premier position.

zippo59 said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Apparently Phil Savage of the Browns his asking for his job responsibilities to be reduced and this article talked of possible candidates the Browns might bring in to take of the responsibilities that Savage would be losing.

It's only a rumor but I think it's worth keeping an eye on. I'm still not sure what would motivate Pioli to go to the hell hole that is the Browns. Money I guess, but he isn't handsomely paid by the Pats as well as getting to be on a winning team?

Bella*chick said:
I have real difficulty seeing why anyone would want to go to Cleveland. The organization is just such a perpetual mess.

Some reasons could be:

1. Therein lies the "challenge", and for some that is an important aspect.

2. The power to do more in creating a team.

The Pat's of past ownership were in a perpetual mess too. Of course I may be comparing apples to oranges by comparing an ownership to an executive position within the ownership framework.

I have to say, this rumor doesn't make sense to me. Why would it be so irresistable to split power with Savage and Crennel? How can that be a step up from splitting power with BB?

This is shocking. Another team is interested in Pioli?

Well, I guess you had to figure out of all the teams in football one of them might be eventually.

It was a good run for awhile when no other front office wanted to touch him with a 10 foot pole. They're probably counting their blessings they aren't saddled with Tom Brady's albatross of a contract too.

But then again, they key word is "might" isn't it. Let's hope the trend continues of no other team owner being interested in having a quality GM.

Last edited:
cstjohn17 said:
I could see him taking over for Accorsi and run the NY Giants, he is from Connecticut and the NY market combined with the history of the Giants makes it a premier position.

Actually, he's from Washingtonville, NY. I think that if he ever moves on it will be for either the Giants or the Jets. But with the prospect of being part of the most succesfull franchise in the modern day salary cap NFL era, I don't think we'll see it happen any time soon...

As for Cleveland............fahgeddabowdit

i hope Pioli will remain with us for a very long time but my question is:

'for how much he will stay with the NE Patriots ?'

DSal said:
Actually, he's from Washingtonville, NY. I think that if he ever moves on it will be for either the Giants or the Jets. But with the prospect of being part of the most succesfull franchise in the modern day salary cap NFL era, I don't think we'll see it happen any time soon...

Good catch, I just guessed CT because he went to the football power house of Southern Connecticut. I wonder who the Pats have listed on the succession chart if he does leave...

DSal said:

Who knows - if Parcells retires and his wife wants the family to be close to Grandpa Tuna, his next move (or non-move) could be influenced on where the extended family decides to call home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents