PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andruw Jones not signing with Braves

patsfanofNC12

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Andruw Jones is not going to resign with the braves, and even though he is coming of a down year he still could produce. Do any of ya'll have an opinion on where he will be next year?

he will go to a team that has a lot of cash money...Cubs, Yankees, and maybe one of the LA teams. No room for him here.

My guess...Mets or Angels.

As long as its not the Red Sox Im happy:singing:

It won't be with the Sox. Not unless the Sox trade Manny. If they moved Manny then they could sign an OF/CF and put Elsbury in CF or LF. Crisp is probably gone this offseason. They won't go with Crisp and Elsbury cuz their outfield would produce 20 homers between all 3 guys. Not happening. The one guarantee is Drew playing RF for years to come.

Jones could end up in NY but I doubt it. The only way the Yanks sign an OF is if they include Melky in a deal for Johan Santana. Minny will be looking for a young, inexpensive, but talented CF in a Santana deal as they're going to lose Tori Hunter. The Sox could toss in Crisp if they make a play, but I'm not sure he's as attractive as Melky, and I don't think the Sox would be a match for the Twins. They'd have to include Buckholz and maybe Lester to get a deal done, which I don't think the Sox would do.

My guess...Mets or Angels.

As long as its not the Red Sox Im happy:singing:

Umm, he plays CF. He won't be taking Beltran's job, and the Angels sunk waaaay too much into Matthews to bail after one year. He's gonna have a tough time getting his supposed $20m per for 7 years. My guess is he gets a JD Drew type contract with the Nationals.

We know it won't be the Sox, since they already have two CFs.

There are a few teams that need a CF and have money. There are also a few CFs on the market (Jones, Hunter, Cameron). Guessing which goes where is a crap-shoot.

Jones could end up in NY but I doubt it. The only way the Yanks sign an OF is if they include Melky in a deal for Johan Santana. Minny will be looking for a young, inexpensive, but talented CF in a Santana deal as they're going to lose Tori Hunter. The Sox could toss in Crisp if they make a play, but I'm not sure he's as attractive as Melky, and I don't think the Sox would be a match for the Twins. They'd have to include Buckholz and maybe Lester to get a deal done, which I don't think the Sox would do.

NY has Melky and Matsui as outfield locks. Abreau is there for the short-term (NY could choose to not pick up his option or pick it up and trade him like Sheffield) and Damon could be subsidized and traded. If there is an outfielder NY really wants they could make room for him.

Jones is not that guy though, and Steinbrenner is no longer in charge (or lucid for that matter).

As for Santana, the Sox are a better match because Minnesota wants position players (all the Yankees have in the minors is pitchers) and Ellsbury is better than any position player NY has to offer and plays a position Minnesota wants.

If he'd agree to a contract I'd trade Ellsbury and Lester or Coco and Buchholz for him. When that deal didn't get it done I'd probably bite the bullet and trade Ellsbury and Buchholz for him. He's the best pitcher in baseball and he'll be 29 next year. That's worth a lot, and I don't buy the theory that he'll be on the free agent market in a year.

I don't think either the Sox or the Yanks get Santana anyway. Other teams have more/better they're willing to offer and might not value prospects as much. The LA Dodgers have more and better prospects and a manager who won't play young guys. The Mets have a desperate need for an ace.

My guess is he gets a JD Drew type contract with the Nationals.

The Nationals would be incredibly stupid to waste the money and draft pick (they'd give the Braves their 2nd rounder as compensation) on Jones when they have no hope of competing for the next 5 years. Then again they signed Dmitri Young to an extension so you just may be right.

But the thing is that Andruw Jones is better than any CF the Red Sox have, even better than Ellsbury. I would sign Jones and move Ellsbury to left. Of course this means that the Sox will have to move Manny, but they have been planning to move him for a long time and had a lot of interest for him last offseason. I am just of the belief that if you can acquire a great player, you make room for him. Of course if the Red Sox acquire Arod that makes Andruw Jones a moot point. He would fill a position need and an offensive need. However I'm not sure he'd want to play in Boston with all the pressure that would be on him to produce. I think that's one big reason he might be leaving NY.

Last edited:
But the thing is that Andruw Jones is better than any CF the Red Sox have, even better than Ellsbury. I would sign Jones and move Ellsbury to left. Of course this means that the Sox will have to move Manny, but they have been planning to move him for a long time and had a lot of interest for him last offseason. I am just of the belief that if you can acquire a great player, you make room for him. Of course if the Red Sox acquire Arod that makes Andruw Jones a moot point. He would fill a position need and an offensive need. However I'm not sure he'd want to play in Boston with all the pressure that would be on him to produce. I think that's one big reason he might be leaving NY.

Except Jones will require an expensive longterm contract and will be 31 in April of next year. Whoever signs him won't get 5 years of "great player" Andruw Jones. They'll probably get two years of great/good and three years of good/average at 16M+ per year. Oh, and he's coming off a season where his OPS+ is 88. He might be bad for the entire contract.

You'd also be wasting Ellsbury's defense in LF. You'd be better off moving the old guy to left than the young one. Now you're paying 16M+/year for a leftfielder with a lifetime .839 OPS.

You do what you have to do to get HoF guys like A-Rod or a star under 28. 30+ Jones isn't a guy you break the bank for.

Andruw Jones has had better years then Ellsbury. Andruw Jones will not have any better years then this kid as of next year. He will be the Sox starting center fielder and probably rookie of the year as he will hit over 300 and steal over 20 bases, not to mention run down fly balls that most fielders wouldn't have a chance at. The Baltimore Orioles are rumored to be interested in Jones, what a perfect fit.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back