PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Trade on Draft Day (just for fun...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chuck_Rule

On the Roster
Reaction score
Was pondering an idea this A.M. when I was thinking about possibilities for next year.
We're all pretty familar with the 2 worst teams in football this year being Oakland and Detroit.
We also have a perception that it would at least Help to have a #1 WR going into next year.

So....with that in mind...

What do you think about the idea of cutting a deal with Detroit, to acquire Roy Williams.
(posibilities of Seattle's 1st round pick and a 4th or 5th round of ours....remember also that Detroit needs 2 things....Picks and Salary Cap space in order to sign them)

Roy Williams is not going to solve all of Detroit's problems by himself, just like Cory Dillion was not going to take the Bengals to the playoffs by himself.

Roy Williams is also coming off his best year as a Pro, also:

Recent Career Receiving Kickoff Returns Punt Returns Fumbles
Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1stD TD KR Yds Avg Long TD PR Yds Avg Long TD Fum FumL
2004 Detroit 14 54 817 58.4 15.1 46 5.3 34 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
2005 Detroit 13 45 687 52.8 15.3 51 3.5 31 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2006 Detroit 15 76 1206 80.4 15.9 60 3.8 60 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2

Here's his Stat Page:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6766

Like I stated in the thread title, this is just for fun, so let's hear your thoughts. :D

Yes I'd give a 1st round pick for Roy Williams. No the Lions wouldn't do it. They have him under contract until at least 2009. Why would they give up a 25 year old stud receiver that is still on his rookie contract? You've seen what Deion Branch got and he wasn't even a free agent. What do you think a Roy Williams would make on the open market? Cost of replacement has to be in the Lions calculations too.

Yes I'd give a 1st round pick for Roy Williams. No the Lions wouldn't do it. They have him under contract until at least 2009. Why would they give up a 25 year old stud receiver that is still on his rookie contract? You've seen what Deion Branch got and he wasn't even a free agent. What do you think a Roy Williams would make on the open market? Cost of replacement has to be in the Lions calculations too.

That's cool.
I agree on some of these principals, but I also believe at some point when his Cap Number increases as he moves foward, at some point they will ask him to re-structure it and/or also place the Franchise Tag upon him.
I'm not sure if he's going to be patient enough to make those sacrifices for a team that just can not get their collective Heads out of their Butts, when it comes to talent evaluation.

Another reason that i've brought this idea up, is I'm just not sure how much longer Tom Brady is going to playing in this League, before he either retires or (God Forbid) desides to play for SF before he leaves the game for good.
Take advantage of what you got here, while you still have it, cause when it's gone....it's Gone.

P.S. I wonder if Roy Williams is willing to be the next Paul Pierce...if ya' know what I mean...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes