PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots now have the 4th ranked defense (PPG) in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see such awesome improvement, but is their jump here a result of everyone else having played an extra game?

I thought we were 9th or something when the weekend started. Of course, it wouldn’t matter either way if they hold Miami to 18 or less.

Not sure if that point total includes the snap into the end zone, but I think it does. What a turnaround.

Great to see such awesome improvement, but is their jump here a result of everyone else having played an extra game?

I thought we were 9th or something when the weekend started. Of course, it wouldn’t matter either way if they hold Miami to 18 or less.

It's averaged out, so the extra game doesn't matter beyond a missing data point for the Pats.

Some of the other top defenses gave up a lot of points today:

Ravens: 39
Steelers: 38
Eagles: 35
Seahawks: 30
Vikings: 31

And so on...not a great day for defenses. Hopefully, we can keep it going.

On a serious note, I'm starting to wonder if Belichick's salary cap philosophy is tied to red zone defense. I've noted that he's paid big contracts to players like Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, and Gilmore. All of these guys are very physical and would tend to be better players on a shorter field, the first three being able to own the middle of the field and stop the run. In addition, the decision to break the bank for Gilmore over Butler comes to mind, as Butler is a less physical defender who can be boxed out in the endzone. Belichick didn't even try to resign Chandler Jones and traded away Jamie Collins. I wonder if much of that has to do with their talents being better realized on a long field with more space and passing plays taking longer to develop. Edge rushers are certainly less valuable as you get closer to defending your own goal line, whereas NTs and MLBs become much more valued. Year after year, the Yards Per Game vs Points Per Game confirm the Patriots personnel is best at minimizing points, not yards. With the salary cap, you can't have it all, so perhaps this is Belichick's strategy and why he we rarely understand his decision to spend on certain players but not others.

Edit: I should add McCourty as another expensive player. Having an elite free safety to prevent huge passing plays is critical to this philosophy as well. As long as you can keep the play in front of you, you continue to build an advantage the deeper the team drives down the field.

Last edited:
It's been a great turnaround and progression, particularly given the loss of Hightower and the disappointing play of Branch.

On a serious note, I'm starting to wonder if Belichick's salary cap philosophy is tied to red zone defense. I've noted that he's paid big contracts to players like Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, and Gilmore. All of these guys are very physical and would tend to be better players on a shorter field, the first three being able to own the middle of the field and stop the run. In addition, the decision to break the bank for Gilmore over Butler comes to mind, as Butler is a less physical defender who can be boxed out in the endzone. Belichick didn't even try to resign Chandler Jones and traded away Jamie Collins. I wonder if much of that has to do with their talents being better realized on a long field with more space and passing plays taking longer to develop. Edge rushers are certainly less valuable as you get closer to defending your own goal line, whereas NTs and MLBs become much more valued. Year after year, the Yards Per Game vs Points Per Game confirm the Patriots personnel is best at minimizing points, not yards. With the salary cap, you can't have it all, so perhaps this is Belichick's strategy and why he we rarely understand his decision to spend on certain players but not others.

Great way to think about it, and it would seem to make sense. Flip that to offense, where wr he seems to undervalue relative to the league, while trying to respectfully compensate gronk and bringing in multiple te's at what would be relative high compensation (if not outright in comparison to edes/dola). Spend the relative low skill position total on the line and everybody wins, especially when unique talents are playing at a bargain (I'd wager Dola knows his legs are iffy, doesn't want a full time big $ roll. Edes has been a bargain. What did Randy make setting records? Cooks may be another exclusion to the rule, time will tell). Lewis was a major flash in the pan and took security (hindsight 20/20; wisely) over a big FA payday, and has been excellent all year.

It's an interesting thought IIB, and seems to fit the patterns of "Hoodie's" signings. Extrapolate back to his CLE days where he simply amassed massive linemen on both sides of the ball...it seems so simple yet I don't think I've seen it stated here (wrt rz v between 20s).

Maybe we'll get to jump the Vikings after Monday's game

If we give up less than 12 points Monday we jump the vikings and are #3.

I always thought that this was the standard by how Defenses should be judged, all the rest is nice, but just window dressing.

The idea is to score as much as you can, and keep the other team from scoring..

It's been a great turnaround and progression, particularly given the loss of Hightower and the disappointing play of Branch.

I think I wrote this after he got put on IR: I think we wont feel the absence of Hightower until the SB (if we get there). I dont see a team in the AFC that is complete enough on both sides and can exploit our weak LB crew. In the NFC there are bigger fish to fry though..

I think I wrote this after he got put on IR: I think we wont feel the absence of Hightower until the SB (if we get there). I dont see a team in the AFC that is complete enough on both sides and can exploit our weak LB crew. In the NFC there are bigger fish to fry though..
Do we think there are NFC teams a cut above Pitt?

Philly is done. Lambs are young. Vikes have. JAG at QB. Nawlins? Brees and Payton did not distinguish themselves on Thurs night. SEA?ATL?GB w AR? I don't think so.

Do we think there are NFC teams a cut above Pitt?

Philly is done. Lambs are young. Vikes have. JAG at QB. Nawlins? Brees and Payton did not distinguish themselves on Thurs night. SEA?ATL?GB w AR? I don't think so.

Carolina's defense is real. I now think Atlanta, NO or Carolina will come out of the NFC.

Carolina's defense is real. I now think Atlanta, NO or Carolina will come out of the NFC.

Carolna was stupid to fire gettleman, who rebuilt that team. Word has it he’s going to NYG.

But they are ranked 32nd from the eye tests of multiple forum posters.

The run D is the only sore spot. It’s ranked 28th in YPG and dead last in YPC.

Offense factors in here, I think, even if just a little. When facing NE, other coaches seem to make risky/bonehead decisions because they fear Brady. FG attempts vs a « normal team » become ridiculous 4th fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case