PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's not coming back at <<$7M like some suggested. Someone will pay him more.

He already has a couple of rings and knows he's not getting one this year. He's only 28 and has a chance to get a 3/4 year big money contract.

The question is why would he stay?
I think some people here are over-valuing Andrews. Look, I love Andrews - was absolutely thrilled when BB got him and had him on my UDFA-who-will-make-the-team list.

But Kelce's arguably one of the top 5 centers in the league. Is Andrews in the top-10 list?

Andrews is gone.

Such a great comparison.. A 34 yr old center who is still considered one of the top 5 centers in the league compared to a 28 year old center who is in the 10-15 range in terms of centers in the league.

How competitive were we last year without a QB?

No one is giving up anything for Chung and DMC isn't fetching anything close to value.

Also no one is saying trade everyone. Gilmore makes sense bc he actually has value that could help next year. And again unless we're looking at an immediate turnaround his play/age don't add up with our rebuild timeline.
To be clear, the fact that we didn't have a QB last year, and haven't signed one yet, is irrelevant to the status of Gilmore.

They didn't have one last year and still won 7 games.. Could have been more.
If we won 7 with Cam, it is likely that we will be more with the veteran that Bill signs, given those coming back, and the cap money available.

I think some people here are over-valuing Andrews. Look, I love Andrews - was absolutely thrilled when BB got him and had him on my UDFA-who-will-make-the-team list.

But Kelce's arguably one of the top 5 centers in the league. Is Andrews in the top-10 list?
Here's a list of the top IOL FAs. Where do you see Andrews of the available centers (#2, #3)? How many teams are looking for centers? How many are in the draft top 100? He'll find a team to give him $7M-$9M aay and we'll all roll our eyes.

20210305_143651.jpg

He is #2 center in this free agency.
Statistically fwiw he played better than Kelce in 2020.
His illness in 2019 did not affect his performance in 2020.

Last time he accepted extension he was offered. This time he obviously did not.

We will see soon enough what this means..

Last edited:
Such a great comparison.. A 34 yr old center who is still considered one of the top 5 centers in the league compared to a 28 year old center who is in the 10-15 range in terms of centers in the league.
I apologize. I didn't realize the top 10 Centers were free agents this season. Nvm

If we won 7 with Cam, it is likely that we will be more with the veteran that Bill signs, given those coming back, and the cap money available.
No to pee in your Cheerios, but just to point out the obvious:

Even coming off of a year with lesser personnel, and with less Patriots talent in a free agent situation, some of that available cap money is going to need to be spent on just trying to tread water in some positions. Thuney moving on means the team will likely take a hit on the OL, and almost certainly at LG. Money will need to be spent trying to either retain Andrews or finding his equal/superior, unless you're willing to gamble on the draft producing a quality year one center.

Here's a list of the top IOL FAs. Where do you see Andrews of the available centers (#2, #3)? How many teams are looking for centers? How many are in the draft top 100? He'll find a team to give him $7M-$9M aay and we'll all roll our eyes.

View attachment 30908
I'd give him 7-9 AAV, which is different than giving a guy 1year at 9, up to !2...

3/22? Sure.

That can be controlled with medication. I had DVT several years ago and it stabilizes after treatment. It doesn't affect his play.
Great analysis Doc!

I apologize. I didn't realize the top 10 Centers were free agents this season. Nvm

This sort of schtick is something I'd expect out of Deus or Ring 6.

Fact is that Andrews isn't a top 10 center. He's not going to be paid like he is a top 10 center. It doesn't matter that the "top 10 centers" aren't free agents this off-season and saying as much is just ignorance.

Fact is that Andrews isn't a top 10 center. He's not going to be paid like he is a top 10 center. It doesn't matter that the "top 10 centers" aren't free agents this off-season and saying as much is just ignorance.
Especially this year, with the dumped CAP and so many teams struggling to even get to the CAP.

No to pee in your Cheerios, but just to point out the obvious:

Even coming off of a year with lesser personnel, and with less Patriots talent in a free agent situation, some of that available cap money is going to need to be spent on just trying to tread water in some positions. Thuney moving on means the team will likely take a hit on the OL, and almost certainly at LG. Money will need to be spent trying to either retain Andrews or finding his equal/superior, unless you're willing to gamble on the draft producing a quality year one center.

OK Captain Obvious. Seriously.

What do you think his value will be?

Especially this year, with the dumped CAP and so many teams struggling to even get to the CAP.
I think this situation is being over estimated. These facts affect everyone the same way. Some have more $$ than others but it doesn't mean there won't be competition.

If two teams need a Center and go after the same guy, they'll bid for that guy. That's no changing. The thought they'll somehow bid less for him hasn't been proven.

Teams are getting out of their cap problems by releasing or restructuring players. They'll then sign a bunch of lower cost replacements for depth but for their key needs, they'll pay MV.

It’s the teams that "cheap out" while having the $$ that'll end up losing.

I think this situation is being over estimated. These facts affect everyone the same way. Some have more $$ than others but it doesn't mean there won't be competition.

If two teams need a Center and go after the same guy, they'll bid for that guy. That's no changing. The thought they'll somehow bid less for him hasn't been proven.

Teams are getting out of their cap problems by releasing or restructuring players. They'll then sign a bunch of lower cost replacements for depth but for their key needs, they'll pay MV.

It’s the teams that "cheap out" while having the $$ that'll end up losing.
Sure, but remember a few years ago when so many teams HAD TO SPEND to get near the cap or face penalties? Where several teams had $100million?

There's a lot less money out there and more good players this time around.

That goes against supply and demand. If five teams have a need, but there's only two "talented" players available, those two players market value will go up. Nobody's going to care about rankings when there's competition. You either pay MV for the best "available" or you get someone cheap you didn't want to begin with since the need is still there.

Andrew's market value is estimated at $7.1M by folks that specialize in these matters, not by me. He'll get paid what the market bears.

20210225_103206.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes