2014 Pats Salary Cap Breakdown - CBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As of now, the Patriots have four cornerbacks (Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, and Justin Green) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $3,625,000, $655,813, $584,462, and $420,000.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Alfonzo Dennard is eligible for it in 2015. Logan Ryan is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Since Dennard played in 62% of the defensive snaps in 2013 and in 53% of the defensive snaps in 2012 Alfonzo has qualified for the Proven Performance Escalator in 2015 increasing his 2015 salary to a projected $1,460,000 - a $800,000 increase. Logan Ryan played in 52% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

While Justin Green was on the Patriots practice squad, he was being paid more (10K) than the minimum of 6K which indicates that he is highly regarded by the Patriots.

Aqib Talib will become a unrestricted free agent in 2014. It was difficult to find comparables for Talib so what I did was split the difference between Lardarius Webb and Carlos Rogers. Webb was 26 when he signed a 5 year, $50 million extension with the Ravens. Carlos Rogers was 30 years when he signed a 4-year $29.2 million deal. Tabib will turn 28 in February. Can't see teams paying Talib in the 10M APY per range like Webb got unless Talib shutdowns the other team's team number 1 receiver in 3 straight playoff games. Can see the Pats giving Tabib a similar deal to Vollmer - 4 years with a low base ($8 million signing bonus, $18 million) with incentives that could increase the value of the deal to $30 million.

I can see the Pats adding a couple more cornerbacks to their roster through free agency and the draft.

Arrington's cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Kyle Arrington
Dennard - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Alfonzo Dennard
Ryan - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Logan Ryan
Green - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Justin Green

For comparison's sake I am including the link to Vollmer's page -
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Sebastian Vollmer

I can't see Talib signing for an $8M signing bonus unless he is injured. I suppose that could work with a guaranteed 2014 salary of $5M or so.

As of now, the Patriots have four cornerbacks (Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, and Justin Green) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $3,625,000, $655,813, $584,462, and $420,000.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Alfonzo Dennard is eligible for it in 2015. Logan Ryan is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Since Dennard played in 62% of the defensive snaps in 2013 and in 53% of the defensive snaps in 2012 Alfonzo has qualified for the Proven Performance Escalator in 2015 increasing his 2015 salary to a projected $1,460,000 - a $800,000 increase. Logan Ryan played in 52% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

While Justin Green was on the Patriots practice squad, he was being paid more (10K) than the minimum of 6K which indicates that he is highly regarded by the Patriots.

Aqib Talib will become a unrestricted free agent in 2014. It was difficult to find comparables for Talib so what I did was split the difference between Lardarius Webb and Carlos Rogers. Webb was 26 when he signed a 5 year, $50 million extension with the Ravens. Carlos Rogers was 30 years when he signed a 4-year $29.2 million deal. Tabib will turn 28 in February. Can't see teams paying Talib in the 10M APY per range like Webb got unless Talib shutdowns the other team's team number 1 receiver in 3 straight playoff games. Can see the Pats giving Tabib a similar deal to Vollmer - 4 years with a low base ($8 million signing bonus, $18 million) with incentives that could increase the value of the deal to $30 million.

I can see the Pats adding a couple more cornerbacks to their roster through free agency and the draft.

Arrington's cap page - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Kyle Arrington
Dennard - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Alfonzo Dennard
Ryan - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Logan Ryan
Green - Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Justin Green

For comparison's sake I am including the link to Vollmer's page -
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Footnotes and Documentation Page - Sebastian Vollmer

Reposting these posts as they may be of more interest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back