PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 Draft Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
There is another thread where people are talking about us drafting #21 this year (it feels strange to be talking about our draft order on January 15 - I guess that means we're spoiled...)

Anyway, some web sites indicate that, but this one
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update
shows us drafting #25, after the four teams which lost in the wild card round.

Which is correct?

21 is correct. You can't have a lower draft pick than any team with the same record as you. (The only other team at 10-6 were the Redskins, which means we had to be either 21 or 22. We were both eliminated on the same day, but we had the harder schedule - 21 for us.

Thanks pats1 and BF. Reading the explanation on ourlads left me confused however. It sounds like playoff teams' selection order can change depending on how they do in the playoffs, as follows:

1. The Super Bowl winner and loser pick 32nd and 31st, respectively.

2. All other playoff teams order will depend on when they are eliminated from the playoffs, but only within groups with the same regular season W-L percentage.

Is that right?

PromisedLand said:
Thanks pats1 and BF. Reading the explanation on ourlads left me confused however. It sounds like playoff teams' selection order can change depending on how they do in the playoffs, as follows:

1. The Super Bowl winner and loser pick 32nd and 31st, respectively.

2. All other playoff teams order will depend on when they are eliminated from the playoffs, but only within groups with the same regular season W-L percentage.

Is that right?
Exactly. Which is why we would have dropped to 22 had we advanced further than Washington. We were tied and we were 21 based on the second tiebreaker of opposition schedule. But the first tiebreaker in a tied record group is advancement in playoffs. However advancement in playoffs, except for Super Bowl teams, isn't a tiebreaker for non tied regular season teams (other than all playoff teams picking after non playoff teams regardless of record).

BelichickFan said:
Exactly. Which is why we would have dropped to 22 had we advanced further than Washington. We were tied and we were 21 based on the second tiebreaker of opposition schedule. But the first tiebreaker in a tied record group is advancement in playoffs. However advancement in playoffs, except for Super Bowl teams, isn't a tiebreaker for non tied regular season teams (other than all playoff teams picking after non playoff teams regardless of record).
Thanks again. nfl.com has a draft page but they don't seem to explain the ordering rules there, at least that I could find. I suppose these third party sites are accurate but it would be nice to have an authoritative source, especially seeing as at least one (sportsline.com) which you would expect to be reliable, isn't.

Anyway, drafting 21st is the silver lining on a disappointing ending to the season, and a side benefit to losing in week 17. It's better than 25th, and a heck of a lot better than 32nd where we have picked 3 of the past 4 years! (Not that winning Super Bowls isn't worth picking lower... ;) )

PromisedLand said:
Anyway, drafting 21st is the silver lining on a disappointing ending to the season, and a side benefit to losing in week 17.
It is a good consolation prize.

Plus the bonus picks are high :

Baltimore's #3 is 11th in the round.
Detroit's #4 is 9th in the round.
Oakland's #5 is 7th in the round

(assuming I did the round by round adjustments correctly).

We just moved ahead of Denver!

pats1 said:
21 is correct. You can't have a lower draft pick than any team with the same record as you. (The only other team at 10-6 were the Redskins, which means we had to be either 21 or 22. We were both eliminated on the same day, but we had the harder schedule - 21 for us.

Since Denver has Washington's pick, we just jumped ahead of the Broncos, who will pick 22.

The Broncos have 22 AND a late first-rounder. Eerily reminiscent of the time we had Wilfork at 21 and Watson at 32.

shakadave said:
Since Denver has Washington's pick, we just jumped ahead of the Broncos, who will pick 22.

The Broncos have 22 AND a late first-rounder. Eerily reminiscent of the time we had Wilfork at 21 and Watson at 32.
Yeah, they got a nice deal there. We have extra picks too, though. An early #3, early #4 and move up in #5 is probably close to even to an extra late #1.

PromisedLand said:
Thanks again. nfl.com has a draft page but they don't seem to explain the ordering rules there, at least that I could find. I suppose these third party sites are accurate but it would be nice to have an authoritative source, especially seeing as at least one (sportsline.com) which you would expect to be reliable, isn't.
The most authoritative source is history. If one doubts Ourlads, one should then be able to show that the way they used is not reflected in past drafts. But one can not.

BelichickFan said:
It is a good consolation prize.

Plus the bonus picks are high :

Baltimore's #3 is 11th in the round.
Detroit's #4 is 9th in the round.
Oakland's #5 is 7th in the round

(assuming I did the round by round adjustments correctly).

The 4th and later picks will be affected by comp picks. I think there's usaully around 30 or so awarded anywhere from the end of the 3rd round on.

I've seen Miguel post a great link to explain compensation picks before, but I think they get awarded around the end of March.

OhExaulted1 said:
The 4th and later picks will be affected by comp picks. I think there's usaully around 30 or so awarded anywhere from the end of the 3rd round on.
That's a good point although 3rd round comp picks are few and far between. The majority are 5th through 7th.

Last year there were 6 comp picks in Round 3 and 3 comp picks in Round 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back