PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 Really Good Short Yardage Plays From Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForThoseAboutToRock

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Patriots take some inspiration from a couple of these plays to utilize in a short yardage "gotta have it"

#1. This combo 1-2-3 punch to score a game tying 2 point conversion

#2. This RPO (which may have featured an illegal man downfield...)

Both feature a ton of deception and good decision-making and timing. Very difficult to expect an aggressive defense to respond in a manner that accounts for all of the runners these plays. Both use the QB as the 11th player in a running play which helps remove the numbers advantage a defense has on a traditional running play.

You could also include some of the KC Chiefs playbook here with their shuttle pass / screens to Kelce or others.

I like the idea of some trickery in order to gain an advantage, catching the opponent off guard and unsure how to react.

Problem is that I'm not a fan of having Brady running, rolling out, moving outside the pocket.

With last week's injury to his left shoulder these type of plays become even more less likely to be run.

Not a bad idea; the timing just isn't right for it though, in my opinion.

They're good play calls for other teams to utilize. That Trubisky play on the 2 point conversion was great.

That Panthers option play is my Play of the Year.
A mobile QB with a quality arm is a devastating combo....as the Patriots defense has demonstrated ...vs KC, Texans, Carolina.

Don't know if I'd do this for a 2-point conversion, but as far as regular short-yardage situations go, I'd settle for a toss/stretch handoff to Gillislee, with Devlin ahead of him, and let him make a cut between the G/T or T/TE gaps.

This ******ed straight-up-the-middle crap behind weaklings Thuney & Andrews Must…End...Now.

Last edited:
i really like that first one, keeps the QB more space and open...and if it doesnt work Brady can just dive

the CAR one though exposes QB too much, and NO ONE will think Brady is takign it in

I agree that it's a square peg / round hole to ask Brady to incorporate RPO or play the role Trubisky did there. Jimmy, on the other hand... ;)

I moreso was looking at the amount of misdirection that was occurring in short yardage - especially the movement. I'd love to see some combination of Gronk, White, Lewis, Amendola and Cooks using some misdirection to get one of the above wide open in space for a TD.

Perhaps they could execute the Bears play if it starts with Brady faking the high snap while White takes the handoff, followed by another immediate handoff to crosser (WR/TE) and then a pitch out.

Again, I definitely agree that Brady's skillset is obviously not suited to these plays, and the degree to which you have to ask him to do something he's not good at to draw up similar plays is a measure of how worthwhile it is to even try.

I'd settle for a toss/stretch handoff to Gillislee, with Devlin ahead of him, and let him make a cut between the G/T or T/TE gaps.

This ******ed straight-up-the-middle crap behind weaklings Thuney & Andrews Must…End...Now.
Patriots "trick play" in short yardage situation is having Brady threading needles to guys 15yds down the field

Don't know if I'd do this for a 2-point conversion, but as far as regular short-yardage situations go, I'd settle for a toss/stretch handoff to Gillislee, with Devlin ahead of him, and let him make a cut between the G/T or T/TE gaps.

You still need Thuney and Andrews to execute their assignment and win their matchup on stretch and toss plays, or Gillislee will either have a guy in his face as soon as he gets the ball, or he'll get tracked down from the weak side and hit from behind -- both situations with a greater risk of a fumble than a failed between-the-tackles run.

If the offensive line isn't executing on the simple stuff, complicating things is counterproductive.

If McDaniels were to change anything, I'd suggest sticking to their bread and butter even more in short yardage, stay in their single back base formations, keep the defense spread out, and run your standard 1st down off-tackle behind Mason and Cannon against a lighter box.

You still need Thuney and Andrews to execute their assignment and win their matchup on stretch and toss plays, or Gillislee will either have a guy in his face as soon as he gets the ball, or he'll get tracked down from the weak side and hit from behind -- both situations with a greater risk of a fumble than a failed between-the-tackles run.

If the offensive line isn't executing on the simple stuff, complicating things is counterproductive.

If McDaniels were to change anything, I'd suggest sticking to their bread and butter even more in short yardage, stay in their single back base formations, keep the defense spread out, and run your standard 1st down off-tackle behind Mason and Cannon against a lighter box.
I never liked seeing the offense squeezed into the center of the field. The defense reacts and is stacked looking for the run. Spread it out and Brady can always hand off depending on what he sees.

You still need Thuney and Andrews to execute their assignment and win their matchup on stretch and toss plays...
They would stand a far, far better chance of properly executing their assignments if they were allowed to use their athleticism on the move in space than if they were forced to butt heads with 320-lb DTs, the results of which far, far too often is no push, no gain.

#2. This RPO (which may have featured an illegal man downfield...)

You got that right. #75 (Left tackle) was pancaking somebody in the end zone 8 yards downfield before McCaffrey even took the pass.

No doubt about it the Pats would get the penalty every time.

Play #1 is really interesting, but I'm not sure Brady has the mobility to convert that. With play #2, I don't think anyone would take the threat of Brady as a runner seriously enough to make it a viable play. Even if he could do it, I don't think I'd want him exposed to the inevitable hit anyway, since the best tactic against the option is to just hit the QB every time.

I never liked seeing the offense squeezed into the center of the field. The defense reacts and is stacked looking for the run. Spread it out and Brady can always hand off depending on what he sees.

I agree. I'm not saying I'm right by any means but just as a fan I always feel better about the Pats chances for a successful play when I see their pass package with Amendola and White on the field (even in short yardage and goalline sitautions).

That's probably irrational thinking given that Gillislee has actually been effective.

Don't give Josh any ammo when he gets into one of his "too cute" moods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes