PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

‼ Peacock / NBC to stream an Exclusive Wild Card Game ⁉

The only way to nip this crap in the bud is enough people boycotting it.
Do you pay to go to movies? Stream exclusive content on Amazon, Apple, HBO max, etc? Some people don’t but they surely haven’t nipped those things in the bud. It’s just paying sort of directly rather than more indirectly.

They have a commodity. Of course they are going to maximize the price they get for it. We have been paying indirectly for it forever through the higher prices we pay to cover the advertising cost. It seems that pay per view or pay by subscription is now more lucrative that advertising dollars.
No, it's additional. The ads, and indirect cost to us, will still be there.

The only way to nip this crap in the bud is enough people boycotting it.
I'm not paying for it.
Season 3 Whatever GIF by NETFLIX

The idea behind cord cutting is to pay less, no? And to watch without ads? Gotta pay more to do that, or get stuck with ads again...
Crapification is a part of most business plans these days. They start off by offering something they know you want, such as paying less and/or removing ads, then they find ways to crapify as time goes on. Unfortunately most human brains lock in to the initial terms and conditions and don't seem to notice that they are being changed bit by bit, or don't want the burden of having to make another decision, or feel that loyalty is important even when the other side is being disloyal. In any case the pattern holds and corporations laugh all the way to the bank.

all in all streaming sucks ... Catalogs full of re-runs and crap you'll never watch...

i have dumped every single streaming service I used to have except Prime... but thats gone when the yearly sub is up... Its all garbage
Funny, I was starting to think maybe buying Sunday Ticket wasn't such a bad idea after all, now this.

Clearly this is the slippery slope to everything being on streaming and/or behind paywalls.

Since NFL controls the playoff schedule they'll put some crappy game in that time slot so there won't be too much complaining and the precedent will be set.

Then the next season they'll say no one complained about the playoffs being on streaming, let's move the entire first round to streaming, then next year more, and more.

I'm not willing to pay anything for NFL at this point in time, it's just not that important to me. They can make coin on someone else.

I consider myself to be a NBA fan without actually watching any games, I can do the same with NFL.

I cut the cord years ago. YouTube TV + a few streaming services. I'm definitely paying a little more than I used to for cable but the libraries available to me and ease-of-use is a lot better than if I just had cable.

I’m paying way less than I did for cable

My Comcast bill was close to $300/mo

I cut everything except high speed internet and brought it down to $110/mo

$15/mo for Netflix
$50/mo for YouTube TV
$20/mo for Hulu/Disney package
$10/mo for HBO max

I don’t count Amazon prime because we’ve had that long for like 8 years and don’t buy it for the streaming, that’s just a bonus

So I’m paying around $200/mo now with wayyyy more options, even if you factor in the NFL Sunday ticket it still comes in cheaper than when I had cable

Cable would make me buy the highest tier channels and sports package just so I could watch nfl network, it drove me absolutely mad

Sooooo happy with the streaming movement, Comcast is an evil company and if my dreams came true they would go up in flames faster than Bud Light is currently

I got it at $25 for one year ... have not used it but it's in my back pocket if needed.

Reactions: Ian
Greed has no limit so eventually, if this scam works, all the NFL games will be pay-per-view. So not only are most NFL games rigged against the spread by gamblers, but now you have to pay to see the rigged games? No thanks; I will go fishing instead.
Many years ago, I thought the NFL was going to turn NFL Network into the sole provider of games and charge Fans directly.

I’m paying way less than I did for cable

My Comcast bill was close to $300/mo

I cut everything except high speed internet and brought it down to $110/mo

$15/mo for Netflix
$50/mo for YouTube TV
$20/mo for Hulu/Disney package
$10/mo for HBO max

I don’t count Amazon prime because we’ve had that long for like 8 years and don’t buy it for the streaming, that’s just a bonus

So I’m paying around $200/mo now with wayyyy more options, even if you factor in the NFL Sunday ticket it still comes in cheaper than when I had cable

Cable would make me buy the highest tier channels and sports package just so I could watch nfl network, it drove me absolutely mad

Sooooo happy with the streaming movement, Comcast is an evil company and if my dreams came true they would go up in flames faster than Bud Light is currently

You make it seem like streaming companies are different than cable companies... they aren't... they are the flip side of the same coin... NBC Universal owns Hulu etc... which in turn is owned by Comcast...

Streaming is fine... but the cost creep has already started... things have been slowly notching up in terms of costs... I was paying 15 or 17 a month for netflix forever... for what? Cobra Kai?

The move to streaming means that more and more content will be put behind a paywall... The NFL & NBC have now done that with this deal...

If thats the Patriots playing in the Wild Card Saturday Night game who here is going to pony up to pay for Peacock to see the game? Some will find the pirate streams... that will do for a spell..

This might be a worst case scenario but... the streams will do until the broadcasters crack down on it... Eventually as their costs to secure the streaming rights increase, companies like NBC will have to do something... They won't go after the people hosting the streams right away... they will try to hit them with DMC notices to get the streams shut down... and if they are anything like the record companies, they will start going after the viewers who use the streams because they now have actual damages to revenues...

You know the tactics they used successfully vs Napster, Mega, Popcorn, etc and their users

I really think Amazon Prime is one of the great deals you can buy even on a fixed income.

You not only get the games, you ALSO get priority amazon deliveries, but also get a free audio book each month (that is usually worth $20+) Plus the Amazon Prime content is often very good/plentiful, and commercial free) That's not a bad package for $14/mo. And that's not counting the NFL games.

.....But you are right. It will be a SLOW process, but streaming games on not for free streaming platforms WILL become the new normal. But it will take over a decade or two before the free channels will be gone, AND even longer before local broadcasts of games will be gone, which would mean if you live around Boston, you should be OK for Pats games, at least.

Lets face it, Nolan Sorrento is now in charge of all the global streaming platforms...

Does it say anywhere whether it will be on the free peacock app or if you need a peacock premium subscription that you have to pay for? I couldn’t find it anywhere in the article

Yep. Not even as much as I thought it was when I sat down and looked it over. We have YTV ($65), Netflix ($17, I think now), Disney+ ($6 because we prepay annually), Hulu ($8 version), Paramount+ (free with Walmart+), HBO Max (free with AT&T), Prime Video (built into Amazon Prime, so effectively “free”), and Peacock (free with Xfinity). Half of them are free to me due to other subscriptions/memberships and the others add up to about $96. Not really bad at all and we have a ton of stuff available.

We pay $5/month to watch Poker Face on Peacock. Not done with it yet. We are not binging it. After that I might cancel.

If I have to pay to watch the Pats lose a Wildcard game next January, $5 is cheap compared to going out to the sports bar which will be full of random fans who have bet against our team.

According to the Wall Street Journal, fans of the two local teams will be able to watch the game on a local affiliate:

The markets of the two teams competing will receive the game through a local television station, most likely an NBC affiliate, NBCU executives said.

Far more? Then we disagree on what a good scripted series actually means. If you get one per streamer you're lucky.
We do disagree. Sharply. Though I suspect you haven't really searched that hard.

I’m actually paying $7.50/mo for HBO, every time I go to cancel they offer me 3 months at 50% off to stay

We do disagree. Sharply. Though I suspect you haven't really searched that hard.
more like beaten down by mediocrity... that for some reason or another, people have convinced themselves is brilliant television...

more like beaten down by mediocrity... that for some reason or another, people have convinced themselves is brilliant television...
Utterly impossible that other people might have a clue, amirite?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back