PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Thomas to be released [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zach Thomas to be Cut

Great player in his prime...

But now he is TOO injured, TOO old and TOO small

Morgan is also too much of an injury risk.

the Patriots really need to start developing some players that are coming into their prime. Signing either Morgan or Thomas will slow down development of younger players. They already have plenty of VETS

did he shrink?

Concussions are bad news I think we should leave Morgan and Thomas alone. I think J Taylor would fit in really well in our system, he was Defensive MVP 2 years back when Saban was coaching the fins I think they ran the 34 back then. If we got Taylor it keeps Vrabes, Rosey fresh plus we have 3 guys that will put pressure on qbs. In the meantime AD can man inside with Bru and Seau platooning like earlier in 07 season.

Thomas is the same size as Bruschi. How is Thomas "too injured?" As for being too slow, you clearly didn't see Thomas playing this year.

OLD, is the only thing I will give you. But with that age comes experience.

Morgan is also too much of an injury risk.

the Patriots really need to start developing some players that are coming into their prime. Signing either Morgan or Thomas will slow down development of younger players. They already have plenty of VETS

The Patriots have only Colvin, Harrison, Vrabel and Thomas over the age of 30 on defense.

How will signing Morgan or Thomas slow down the development of younger players when there aren't younger players around to begin with?

Izzo, Seau and Bruschi are all UFA. That leaves 3 big holes on the team. 1 of which is a starting position.

Concussions are bad news I think we should leave Morgan and Thomas alone. I think J Taylor would fit in really well in our system, he was Defensive MVP 2 years back when Saban was coaching the fins I think they ran the 34 back then. If we got Taylor it keeps Vrabes, Rosey fresh plus we have 3 guys that will put pressure on qbs. In the meantime AD can man inside with Bru and Seau platooning like earlier in 07 season.

Taylor isn't getting cut anytime soon and Parcells isn't going to trade him to the Pats..

I would argue that we need to get faster, more athletic and YOUNGER (NOT A ROOKIE, SHEESH). We have two on the verge of retirement. It's time to look to the future and reinforce the LB area for a few years, not one-offs with one year contracts.

Well, who are the good, young linebackers who are not rookies (Sheesh!) that the Patriots should be looking at, and realistically signing?

Well, who are the good, young linebackers who are not rookies (Sheesh!) that the Patriots should be looking at, and realistically signing?

Lets see what cuts are made, but Calvin Pace to start.

He might actually have more injury issues than Dan Morgan who has been sugested on another thread.

I've seen roadkill with fewer injury issues than Dan Morgan.

I've seen roadkill with fewer injury issues than Dan Morgan.

but have you seen road kill with more injuries....because Zach may be it....

The key thing here, with out knowing what anyof these guys pay will end up at, is that we are talking cheap and short term which takes some of the injury concerns out.

but have you seen road kill with more injuries....because Zach may be it....

The key thing here, with out knowing what anyof these guys pay will end up at, is that we are talking cheap and short term which takes some of the injury concerns out.

Thomas played in all 16 games in 2006, and had 165 tackles. This year was the first season that he didn't play in 11 or more games in a 12 year career. In 5 seasons, he's played all 16 games. In 3 other seasons, he played in 15 games. So, in 8 out of 12 seasons, he's played in 15 or more games.

Morgan has never played more than 13 games in a season. In 7 NFL seasons, he's played in fewer than 11 games 3 times and only played 11 games in two other seasons. So, in 5 out of 7 seasons, Morgan's played 11 or fewer games.

Thomas played in all 16 games in 2006, and had 165 tackles. This year was the first season that he didn't play in 11 or more games in a 12 year career. In 5 seasons, he's played all 16 games. In 3 other seasons, he played in 15 games. So, in 8 out of 12 seasons, he's played in 15 or more games.

Morgan has never played more than 13 games in a season. In 7 NFL seasons, he's played in fewer than 11 games 3 times and only played 11 games in two other seasons. So, in 5 out of 7 seasons, Morgan's played 11 or fewer games.

That just says he was less injury prone thru out his career..Corect me if I am wrong here but I believe that Zach Suffered a really devastating Concussion...I though it was severe enough to threatens his career.

Morgan on the other hand has missed more time but his career may not be as threatened by his injuries. He has had quite a few head injuries himself but he returned to action last year only to hurt his leg.

So I think Zach may be more injures right now but obviously that is just an opinion that may be based on nothing other than the fact that Trent Green could not return from his severe concussion.

Exactly.

I don't think anyone is interested in making a large commitment to a Thomas or Morgan in terms of $ or any kind of contract length.

I live in North Carolina and Morgan is a running joke. When your name becomes an adjective, you know you are either really famous or infamous. Morgan is definitely the latter. Too bad since he seems like a bright, coachable and dedicated player. Just can't keep his brain from rattling around inside his skull.

That just says he was less injury prone thru out his career..Corect me if I am wrong here but I believe that Zach Suffered a really devastating Concussion...I though it was severe enough to threatens his career.

Morgan on the other hand has missed more time but his career may not be as threatened by his injuries. He has had quite a few head injuries himself but he returned to action last year only to hurt his leg.

So I think Zach may be more injures right now but obviously that is just an opinion that may be based on nothing other than the fact that Trent Green could not return from his severe concussion.

Why do you think I said "IF he can pass the physical and neurological exam?

Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

Zach Thomas? He has been a great player, but......

He's 34 years old and 5'11"- 225, where's he going to play Strong Safety.

He can't play MLB here, Parcell's is going to try to go to a 3-4, maybe he could catch on in Tampa or Atlanta.

Remember, Thomas was IR'd against his wishes, stating that he expected to be able to return during the season. According to Thomas' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, the doctors also felt that he'd be able to return during the season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=4C7A61DB4856D57E46D7D5E2EFE1E39F?id=09000d5d804d06bf&template=with-video&confirm=true

The Patriots defense is to football what the Rolling Stones are to rock and roll.

Do they really need another 35+ year old?

On the other hand, much like the Stones Thomas can still perform at the top of his game.

It's a tough call.

More of a question than anything else, but wouldn't Thomas be a little bit small for this system? Has he ever played extensively in a 3-4? I could see BB scheming around that if he were still 28-29, but at 35?

I could be wrong (and if I were and it worked out, I'd be thrilled).

I live in North Carolina and Morgan is a running joke. When your name becomes an adjective, you know you are either really famous or infamous. Morgan is definitely the latter. Too bad since he seems like a bright, coachable and dedicated player. Just can't keep his brain from rattling around inside his skull.

Yea theres a huge dedicated fan base down in them there Carolinas.

Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

The source said retirement is a possibility and Thomas will play again only if he can join a team that he views as having a legitimate shot at winning a Super Bowl.

I would love to bring him in ONLY, as like sebman said, if he can pass a physical. You dont need a guy out there suffering from massive migrains trying to tackle other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes