PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Thomas to be released [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zach Thomas to be Cut

Its called a Salary Cap, and we are awfully close to its limit.

Ah, not really.
They're something like $10M under the cap, right?

Extend Colvin and shave at least $2M off his cap figures.
Rework or cut Donte Stallworth. If they cut him it's a cap savings of $6.5M+
I hope he sticks around at a reduced cap hit, but his his htting free agency is an obvious option.

Maybe rework or extend one or two other contracts, and the Patriots could easily have $20-25M+ in remaining cap to spend.

Last edited:
Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

I will take Dan Morgan or Zack Thomas in a minute. BB get on the horn !!!

How low do you think he will go? If you think he is going to sign for the veteran minimum, your kidding yourself. He had a base salary of $5.65 Million last year, second highest among linebackers in the league. Sure, he's going to take a pay cut but is he worth $3 mill? I'd rather sign BOTH Morgan and Pace for $4 mill.

Yes, lets sign Dan Morgan. The guy who has NEVER played a full season in the NFL. I believe that the reason that Morgan's missed almost the entirety of the last 2 seasons is concussion issues.

I am all for signing Pace, but even if they sign him to a 4 year/16 million contract with a 8 million signing bonus, they could set it up so his contract only counted 2.6 million against the cap this year. And, no, I don't believe Pace is going to get an 8 million signing bonus.

I would rather See them sway jason Taylor to come here Thomas is injury prone

Taylor is under contract. The Pats would have to trade for him. Parcells isn't going to trade Taylor to the Pats.

When did Thomas become injury prone? Yes, he has concussion issues this year, but prior to that?

Yes, lets sign Dan Morgan. The guy who has NEVER played a full season in the NFL. I believe that the reason that Morgan's missed almost the entirety of the last 2 seasons is concussion issues.

Completely incorrect. He tore his achillies earlier this season. In fact he has been concussion free since 2006.

Completely incorrect. He tore his achillies earlier this season. In fact he has been concussion free since 2006.

yeah, sitting at home and staying inside when it rained.

You seem to be confusing salary with actual cap hit. They are not the same and you really shouldn't pull numbers out of your arse.

Moss, even if his contract averaged out to be 8 million a year, wouldn't coun't 8 million against the cap this year. If Pace's contract averaged out to be 3 million a year, my guess is that his cap hit would be closer to 1.5 million. Depth at corner? Who are you proposing the Pats add?

And, remember, I talked about adding more than 11 million and that was without touching Colvin's contract. And the Pats could free up another 3 million there if they wanted. The Pats could also adjust Matt Light's contract and free up 2 million by changing 3 million of his salary to a signing bonus and spreading that out over the remaining 3 years of his contract.

And you are of course conveniently forgetting the 5-10 million in salary increases due to escalator clauses.

I was incorrect that it was concussions that sidelined him the past two year. Actually, not completely incorrect since he missed all but one game of the 2006 season because of concussions.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10634898/rss

If you'll notice, Morgan was listed by the Panthers as being "Day to Day" with a concussion during training camp.

Also, it doesn't change the fact that he's never been able to play a full season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerInjuries?categoryId=70908

I loved Morgan coming out of college and wanted the Pats to draft him. However, he can't stay on the field.

I was incorrect that it was concussions that sidelined him the past two year. Actually, not completely incorrect since he missed all but one game of the 2006 season because of concussions.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10634898/rss

If you'll notice, Morgan was listed by the Panthers as being "Day to Day" with a concussion during training camp.

Also, it doesn't change the fact that he's never been able to play a full season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerInjuries?categoryId=70908

I loved Morgan coming out of college and wanted the Pats to draft him. However, he can't stay on the field.

So you would rather go after 35 yr old Zack Thomas at lets say $3 mill a year over Morgan who is 5 years younger and has alot less miles on him and would come substantially cheaper? Both have missed time due to concussions.

And I'm not saying the Pats should go after Morgan. I'm saying he is a better option than Thomas. Money would be better spent on Trufant and Pace.

Last edited:

And you are of course conveniently forgetting the 5-10 million in salary increases due to escalator clauses.

Unlike YOU, I have a very good grasp on the salary cap and haven't forgotten anything. I know that Miguel mentions the escalators, however, he only has potential numbers for 3 players. So to say that its 5-10 million is you talking out your arse. We don't know how much it will be. What I also understand and you don't, is that the Patriots could change those escalators into a signing bonus to help mitigate the cap hit incurred.

I also know that there will be NLTBE debits and LTBE credits that will adjust the Pats Salary Cap total for this year. I also know that the league didn't use all the money it was supposed to last year and that there will be money rolled into this year as a result and it will also raise the cap.

Last edited:

So you would rather go after 35 yr old Zack Thomas at lets say $3 mill a year over Morgan who is 5 years younger and has alot less miles on him and would come substantially cheaper? Both have missed time due to concussions.

And I'm not saying the Pats should go after Morgan. I'm saying he is a better option than Thomas. Money would be better spent on Trufant and Pace.

Yes, you did say the Pats should go after Morgan. Its in this thread.

Morgan has had many more concussions than Thomas.

Also, Thomas isn't going to require 3 million to sign. Again, you just pull numbers out of your arse to try and prop up a lame argument.

BTW, What did Seau make during his last year as a Dolphin? What did he sign for with the Pats?

Last edited:

Yes, you did say the Pats should go after Morgan. Its in this thread.

Morgan has had many more concussions than Thomas.

Also, Thomas isn't going to require 3 million to sign. Again, you just pull numbers out of your arse to try and prop up a lame argument.

BTW, What did Seau make during his last year as a Dolphin? What did he sign for with the Pats?

Seau was retired and was not coming back. Pats talked him into coming back. Zack Thomas has not declared that he is retired. There will be teams interested in a veteran LB and will take a chance on him.

What I am saying is that we have two LBs over 35 that will retire soon. If not now, likely next year. The Pats would do well to sign a vet that is more in the neighbourhood of 28-30. No, I dont think that Morgan is the answer. I do think that he is a better option than Thomas, with alot of potential upside.

Having said that, I have consistently said that I think Calvin Pace is their best option given what is out there. It would allow AD to return inside and allow Vrabel to play both inside and out.

I dont pretend to be an expert on the cap. I go by what I read here. So if there is money, fine. But it's still better spent on CBs, LBs and WRs that will stick around for more than a year.

Wow, I knew he was old, but I never realized that he was 35! If we take a flyer on an injured IMLB, I'd prefer Morgan simply because he's a better player at this point in thier respective careers. Each carries obvious injury, and hence, durability issues, but Morgan is younger and would seem to be a better fit. That's not to say that Thomas wouldn't help.

Seau was retired and was not coming back. Pats talked him into coming back. Zack Thomas has not declared that he is retired. There will be teams interested in a veteran LB and will take a chance on him.

Oi VEI. Stubborn as always. Seau was CUT by the Dolphins and filed his retirement papers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Seau

Both players were cut by the Dolphins. Both players stood to make a good deal of money if they hadn't been cut. Seau signed a 1 year deal for $1 million. He "retired" because he didn't think anyone would want to sign him at the time. He didn't think the Patriots were interested.

What I am saying is that we have two LBs over 35 that will retire soon. If not now, likely next year. The Pats would do well to sign a vet that is more in the neighbourhood of 28-30. No, I dont think that Morgan is the answer. I do think that he is a better option than Thomas, with alot of potential upside.

What you are saying is that you throw numbers out there and really don't know what you are talking about. The Patriots only have 1 LB who is 35 or older. That is Seau. Bruschi will be 35. Neither is with the team currently as they are both Free agents.

How can Morgan have more potential upside when he can't stay on the field? Also, you do realize how hard it is to come back from an Achilles tear, yes? Its harder than an ACL.

Having said that, I have consistently said that I think Calvin Pace is their best option given what is out there. It would allow AD to return inside and allow Vrabel to play both inside and out.

I dont pretend to be an expert on the cap. I go by what I read here. So if there is money, fine. But it's still better spent on CBs, LBs and WRs that will stick around for more than a year.

What is to say that Thomas would only be around for a year?

The point everyone has been trying to make is that no one thinks that signing Thomas, if he is healthy, is a be all end all to the situation at ILB. However, what we DO recognize that you seem to have an issue with, is that Thomas, if healthy, is a better option than Dan Morgan.

No one has said NOT to look at Calvin Pace or Marcus Trufant or anyone else. People like Thomas because he's still clearly capable of being a top talent. Many people see Thomas and Bruschi as having been cut from the same mold. I think that Thomas, in rotation, would be a good addition. Also, no one is saying to add Thomas is lieu of a young LB. Bring Thomas in and let him earn a spot. I have no doubts that he will. But if he stumbles, there is nothing lost. Its a low risk/high reward type situation.

If there are better options for ILB, please share them. From what I've seen, your offering up Pace only moves Thomas back inside and doesn't address the other inside position. Vrabel is better on the outside than he is inside. And he showed that this year.

Wow, I knew he was old, but I never realized that he was 35! If we take a flyer on an injured IMLB, I'd prefer Morgan simply because he's a better player at this point in thier respective careers. Each carries obvious injury, and hence, durability issues, but Morgan is younger and would seem to be a better fit. That's not to say that Thomas wouldn't help.

How can you say that Morgan, who is coming off an Achilles injury, is a better player? He hasn't played a full season his entire career and has only played in 4 games the past 2 seasons.

How is Morgan a better fit?

How can you say that Morgan, who is coming off an Achilles injury, is a better player? He hasn't played a full season his entire career and has only played in 4 games the past 2 seasons.

How is Morgan a better fit?

Geez, someone has a hard on for Zach Thomas.

Geez, someone has a hard on for Zach Thomas.

Not particularly. However, neither you nor Real World have provided even a modicum of a legitimate reason to take Morgan over Thomas.

If the Pats sign him, its because he passed a physical and they feel he's the best fit for the system. If they don't sign him, its no skin off my back.

I don't see the Pats even looking at Morgan because he is injury prone and coming off 2 consecutive major injury situations as well as never having been healthy.

I wouldn't touch neither Thomas nor Morgan. Both of these guys are DONE!!!!!
We need "Playmakers" on defense and these 2 are not Playmakers period.

yeah, zach thomas never made a play in his life........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back