PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Thomas to be released [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zach Thomas to be Cut

I have a lot of respect for Thomas. He is a great player who plagued the Patriots for years, but he falls into the Dan Morgan category...too many hits to the head. The guy had a migraine all season! Time to hang it up for health reasons.

Good point. The concussion issue is definitely a concern with him..

Its called a Salary Cap, and we are awfully close to its limit.

The Patriots are nearly 10 million under the salary cap after not picking up Washington's option (saved 1.5 million on the cap). They haven't made a decision on Donte Stallworth. Not picking up his option frees us some 6 million which would put the Pats at 16 million under. And that is without changes to Colvin's contract or Kyle Eckel's contract. Eckel currently has a LTBE bonus of 5.3 million. The Pats could easily change it to a NLTBE bonus and free up that 5.3 million.

Also, all the cap money in the league wasn't used last year. There is some convoluted equation that re-adjust the cap for this year based on that. That number hasn't been announced either.

Now, I will give you that the adjusted Cap for the Pats hasn't been released yet, but the Pats DID push 5.8 million into this year to help off-set those.

So, I am not sure where you get that the Pats are awfully close to the limit when they are anything but.

Sign both Morgan, and Thomas trade for taylor, cut Larry izzo, Eric Alexander, oscar lua, draft vernon Gholston, in the first, dan connor in the second, ezra butler in the third would never happen but then linebacker would be fixed.

*cringe* no thanks on Butler. I've not read anything about him that would make me believe he's a Pats type player.

Izzo is a free agent, btw.

The Patriots are nearly 10 million under the salary cap after not picking up Washington's option (saved 1.5 million on the cap). They haven't made a decision on Donte Stallworth. Not picking up his option frees us some 6 million which would put the Pats at 16 million under. And that is without changes to Colvin's contract or Kyle Eckel's contract. Eckel currently has a LTBE bonus of 5.3 million. The Pats could easily change it to a NLTBE bonus and free up that 5.3 million.

Also, all the cap money in the league wasn't used last year. There is some convoluted equation that re-adjust the cap for this year based on that. That number hasn't been announced either.

Now, I will give you that the adjusted Cap for the Pats hasn't been released yet, but the Pats DID push 5.8 million into this year to help off-set those.

So, I am not sure where you get that the Pats are awfully close to the limit when they are anything but.

They will get much closer as soon as they sign Moss ($8 mill). Add a decent LB ($3 mill) and depth at corner ($3 mill), you are awfully close.

Last edited:

Its called a Salary Cap, and we are awfully close to its limit.

Wow. So we can't sign any veteran for low $ and then use our draft picks? We are in big trouble.

Wow. So we can't sign any veteran for low $ and then use our draft picks? We are in big trouble.

How low do you think he will go? If you think he is going to sign for the veteran minimum, your kidding yourself. He had a base salary of $5.65 Million last year, second highest among linebackers in the league. Sure, he's going to take a pay cut but is he worth $3 mill? I'd rather sign BOTH Morgan and Pace for $4 mill.

How low do you think he will go? If you think he is going to sign for the veteran minimum, your kidding yourself. He had a base salary of $5.65 Million last year, second highest among linebackers in the league. Sure, he's going to take a pay cut but is he worth $3 mill? I'd rather sign BOTH Morgan and Pace for $4 mill.

After going 1-15 this past year, and playing for crappy teams for the last 5 years or so, no, him coming here on the veteran minimum wouldn't surprise me that much. I'm not expecting it to happen, by any means, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked.

Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

You would think that the Pats will at least look at him.

Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

IF he passes a physical I'd sign him up in a heartbeat, especially at mid-low cost. Zach has been one of my favorite LB's for a long time.

Last edited:

I would argue that we need to get faster, more athletic and YOUNGER. We have two on the verge of retirement. It's time to look to the future and reinforce the LB area for a few years, not one-offs with one year contracts.

I'm sure that Belichick is going to listen to you.

No, really.

I see this coming.

Uhmmm.

No.

When did he ever do this????

Remind me...

Last edited:

I would rather See them sway jason Taylor to come here Thomas is injury prone

Geez people, we need to get younger at LB. I would pass on both Thomas and Taylor.

I would pass on Thomas, but not Taylor.

Taylor can still make an impact and can you imagine him and Adalius Thomas pressing the ends? Holy - she-ite, batman!

Anyway, word on South Florida talk radio is Thomas may retire if cut. Too many headknocks. The boy is already Oklahoma-dim. He can't afford to lose much more!

I would argue that we need to get faster, more athletic and YOUNGER. We have two on the verge of retirement. It's time to look to the future and reinforce the LB area for a few years, not one-offs with one year contracts.

The Pats also do not need to start a rookie who will take a year to learn the 3-4 and get abused. Thomas and Taylor would be excellent fits due to their football smarts, like Junior.

I think the only 2 teams in the NFL that run the 3-4 are the Pats and Jets. There's a steep learning curve. A rookie would be lost at ILB.

IF he passes a physical I'd sign him up.

Yea, the guy has an injury history (more importantly a recent concussion history), but if he passes a physical and comes at a decent price the potential reward would merit at least trying him out.

This doesn't mean NE should just sign Zach (if he passes a physical), and go into the season expecting him to be a full time starting ILB. No, they could sign him at a decent price, sign someone like Hobson, and draft someone like Goff. Maybe even bring in Dan Morgan. if either of Thomas or Morgan stick you're better off, but you're not dependent on either staying healthy and performing.

The Pats also do not need to start a rookie who will take a year to learn the 3-4 and get abused. Thomas and Taylor would be excellent fits due to their football smarts, like Junior.

I think the only 2 teams in the NFL that run the 3-4 are the Pats and Jets. There's a steep learning curve. A rookie would be lost at ILB.

Chargers and Cowboys also run the 3-4. Probably another team or two also.

Chargers and Cowboys also run the 3-4. Probably another team or two also.

Not really. They run a one gap 3-4, not at all like the Pats 2 gap system. The 49ers line up in a 3-4 front but do not 2 gap either.

They will get much closer as soon as they sign Moss ($8 mill). Add a decent LB ($3 mill) and depth at corner ($3 mill), you are awfully close.

You seem to be confusing salary with actual cap hit. They are not the same and you really shouldn't pull numbers out of your arse.

Moss, even if his contract averaged out to be 8 million a year, wouldn't coun't 8 million against the cap this year. If Pace's contract averaged out to be 3 million a year, my guess is that his cap hit would be closer to 1.5 million. Depth at corner? Who are you proposing the Pats add?

And, remember, I talked about adding more than 11 million and that was without touching Colvin's contract. And the Pats could free up another 3 million there if they wanted. The Pats could also adjust Matt Light's contract and free up 2 million by changing 3 million of his salary to a signing bonus and spreading that out over the remaining 3 years of his contract.

Zach Thomas will be 35 years old when the season begins. In

addition, he now has a history of a bad concussion. If he is signed,

he will take the place of a draft pick on the roster. Zach would

be this years Chad Brown replacing this years Justin Rodgers on the

roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back