PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Thomas to be released [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zach Thomas to be Cut

More of a question than anything else, but wouldn't Thomas be a little bit small for this system? Has he ever played extensively in a 3-4? I could see BB scheming around that if he were still 28-29, but at 35?

I could be wrong (and if I were and it worked out, I'd be thrilled).

I think how he fits is not so important because he will be a role player not a starter.

I think we can find a role that fits our scheme, and his size and skill.

Re: It's happened...Zach Thomas to be released

I would love to bring him in ONLY, as like sebman said, if he can pass a physical. You dont need a guy out there suffering from massive migrains trying to tackle other people.

You do realize the NFL teams do not sign anyone who can't pass a physical.

I've wanted Zach Thomas on this team for a while now. If we did get him does that make it more likely that we could pry Jason Taylor out of the Tunas claws?

I've wanted Zach Thomas on this team for a while now. If we did get him does that make it more likely that we could pry Jason Taylor out of the Tunas claws?

With their draft picks, the Pats probably have the pieces for Taylor. And Parcells knows the Dolphins are a few years out anyway. I doubt we get Taylor though.

You do realize the NFL teams do not sign anyone who can't pass a physical.
Some physicals are watered down though. Even in other sports.

I mean Curt Schilling passed his physical and look where he's at.

Not all teams go the extra mile which of course i would like the Pats to do. MRI's Catscans whatever need be.

No. Parcells would not trade Taylor within the division.

Yea theres a huge dedicated fan base down in them there Carolinas.

Your point being what? Morgan plays in North Carolina. He is constantly injured (not his fault, just reality). His being on the injury report or IR has become a punchline.

I guess you have a point. I've never heard a Pats fan be critical of an injured player. <insert "made of glass" jokes here>

Your point being what? Morgan plays in North Carolina. He is constantly injured (not his fault, just reality). His being on the injury report or IR has become a punchline.

I guess you have a point. I've never heard a Pats fan be critical of an injured player. <insert "made of glass" jokes here>

You got my point that Carolina fans dont know what they have and instead just choose to bash a great player.

Great player but will be 35 in Sept. The Pats could use an infusion of younger players at LB. Still would not mind seeing Thomas in a Pats uni for a one year deal with incentives though. :D

I agree, we need younger players...a few...maybe, inject Bruschi's, Seau's, and Harrison's skills into their younger bodies...but, then we'd get "Injection-gate" "Skill-gate" and/or "Insane-Gate" and then we'd be done. :)

The Pats also do not need to start a rookie who will take a year to learn the 3-4 and get abused. Thomas and Taylor would be excellent fits due to their football smarts, like Junior.

I think the only 2 teams in the NFL that run the 3-4 are the Pats and Jets. There's a steep learning curve. A rookie would be lost at ILB.

Steelers do too, and I'm sure there are at least a couple of other teams.

lower the age? lol hes 33..34 start of season

read Ted Johnson's thoughts on Zach in a 3-4 from very recent. Doesnt see him fitting in..especially at this point in his here and having to take on 320 lbs guards

Steelers, Browns, Patriots, Cowboys, Jets, and Chargers are the NFL's current 3-4 teams, while the 49ers and Ravens both play a good deal of 3-4.

Amongst those, the Patriots, Browns, and Jets play the two-gap technique, while the others play a primarily one-gap technique. The Steelers alternate between the two.

Last edited:
Re: Zach Thomas & Others to be Cut

Lawyer Milloy & Keith Brookings Might Also Be On The Verge Of Being Cut

Steelers, Browns, Patriots, Cowboys, Jets, and Chargers are the NFL's current 3-4 teams, while the 49ers and Ravens both play a good deal of 3-4.

Amongst those, the Patriots, Browns, and Jets play the two-gap technique, while the others play a primarily one-gap technique. The Steelers alternate between the two.

So, basically, Belichick and his disciples two-gap, everyone else one-gaps. Interesting.

Not really, like I said before. Pats/Jets and Browns under Crennel.

I don't think the Steelers 2 gap at all unless they are bringing heat and need to cover gaps. They may 2 gap their NG.

Re: Zach Thomas to be released [merged]

I agree Thomas is not a good fit for our 2 gap 3-4 defense.
I agree he would get destroyed playing ILB in our 2 gap.
I also think he would be a good signing because BB would make adjustments to use his ability.
Contrary to popular belief, BB does make adjustments to his scheme to fit in players he feels are talented.
His secondary played very different schemes with ty Law on one corner and Otis smith on the other than they have since.
Rodney Harrison has played a very different role than any other S we have had.
Jr Seau is NOT a classic 2 gap ILB. Seau has consistently since he has been here, played penetrating one gap run D. It has fit in with the system.
This is one of the myths of the 2 gap. While the basic concept is that the DL and Lbs are all playing a man and the gap on both sides of them, the ILBs do have some freedom to freelance, and avoid the Gs. The basis of it is that when you 2 gap, TWO players are responsible for each gap. Seau's best stength is reading the play and choosing the gap to shoot rather than taking on the G, and Bruschi has done a lot of this too. The key is that the ILB has to have excellent skills in reading the play, andif he does, avoiding the block puts him a step ahead of engaging and shedding the G.

Thomas is also a very good coverage LB, and we need more of that.
I don't think Thomas is an every down ILB that we can ignore his strengths and weaknesses and plug him in, but I think he can be a great contributor with BB playing to his strengths.
His is a playmaker, and regardless of how it fits the system, BB will always have a spot for playmakers.
If Thomas were 28 and in his prime, signing a huge 5 year deal, we would pass. For short money, and a short term, BB can make good use of him.

Re: Zach Thomas to be released [merged]

the ILBs do have some freedom to freelance, and avoid the Gs. The basis of it is that when you 2 gap, TWO players are responsible for each gap. Seau's best stength is reading the play and choosing the gap to shoot rather than taking on the G, and Bruschi has done a lot of this too. The key is that the ILB has to have excellent skills in reading the play, andif he does, avoiding the block puts him a step ahead of engaging and shedding the G.

I would be very cautious about making this assumption. "Avoiding" Guards is dangerous. In the 4-3, a LB can run down ballcarriers and make plays freelancing.

In the 3-4, he run fits are precise and if the playside LB fits too wide, the RB will cut back behind him. If he doesn't fit wide enough, the Guard can cut him off. You tend to see alot of LB's using their hands and arm extension to get free of blocks.

When you see Seau making plays unblocked, like he did against San Diego, he is usually taking the "window" that opens up for the backside LB. If the OL had stepped down and cut off gaps like they are supposed to, Seau never would have made that play.

I don't think the Steelers 2 gap at all unless they are bringing heat and need to cover gaps. They may 2 gap their NG.

Yeah, their NT tends to be a 2 gap while their ends shoot them. But since they're a blitz-happy defense, their ends are sometimes called on to have more responsibility. They don't alternate, per se, but do as need dictates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes