PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

YouTube Officially Rolls Out Sunday Ticket for 2023

The $350 for early non-subscribers divided by 17 weeks ends up being $20/week.

I think the basic math most people will do is: is it worth $20 a weekend to have Game Pass? Especially if you have to buy it every weekend for the entire season?

Me: Not sure I care enough about the NFL these days to spend the $$$ since I live in the Boston media market and can get all the Patriots games free over the air.

Also, just on principal alone I don't want to fund "the 32", yet if I did not have the local TV coverage it would be tempting.

Bottom line now is I am watching less and less NFL. Ten years ago I watched every minute I could get free over the air, now entire games get deleted without being watched, including some Patriots games.

I think there may have been two occasions last season where I wanted to watch a game that I could not get, and I don't think that's worth $350 to me.

On those occasions I probably would have ponied up $20 to see those particular games, but NFL of course insists you buy them all just to get the one or two you may want during an entire season.

Hm... I'm already a YouTube TV member, so $289 to get it all with Redzone isn't too bad... I don't live in the New England market so most of the non-primetime Pats games (and there aren't many primetime games anymore) are not aired for me. I'm currently paying $100 a year for Gamepass International plus $10ish a month for a VPN for a few months, so that's around $150 or so a season but it has some hoops to jump through and Gamepass International always ****s the bed at least once a season for the entire Sunday block. So about $100 more for "the real deal" isn't horrific...

I think the basic math most people will do is: is it worth $20 a weekend to have Game Pass? Especially if you have to buy it every weekend for the entire season?

Me: Not sure I care enough about the NFL these days to spend the $$$ since I live in the Boston media market and can get all the Patriots games free over the air.

Also, just on principal alone I don't want to fund "the 32", yet if I did not have the local TV coverage it would be tempting.

Bottom line now is I am watching less and less NFL. Ten years ago I watched every minute I could get free over the air, now entire games get deleted without being watched, including some Patriots games.

I think there may have been two occasions last season where I wanted to watch a game that I could not get, and I don't think that's worth $350 to me.

On those occasions I probably would have ponied up $20 to see those particular games, but NFL of course insists you buy them all just to get the one or two you may want during an entire season.
if Brady was still in the league playing i would buy this to watch his games as well

but with him gone, there are no teams outside the Patriots i care that much about to warrant spending $350/yr to watch them. Maybe if i was hosting fantasy football weekends at my house or something, but im not

If I lived out of market I would probably pay the $20 per week to watch the Pats. In market, nope. If they make me pay while being in market, that's a no as well.

if Brady was still in the league playing i would buy this to watch his games as well

but with him gone, there are no teams outside the Patriots i care that much about to warrant spending $350/yr to watch them. Maybe if i was hosting fantasy football weekends at my house or something, but im not

For me, it really hasn't been about Brady, it's just been about poor football, especially on offense. The Cam / Covid era was totally forgettable. Passes did just hit the ground for no reason anyone could explain. The MP as OC era was totally forgettable, enough said. On top of these "highlights" the things that we used to like about the Patriots, like playing good solid football with few penalties, seem to no longer be a given. There just hasn't been a lot to like about the last few seasons, therefore I watch less.

In the current era, if we're playing a night game, it's pretty easy to say to myself I don't really need to watch this, it'll be on the DVR tomorrow if I want to watch it. Then, the next day, chances are good I've already heard all about the game and seen most of the highlights so I skip watching it or maybe watch some of the action but not the whole game.

Last edited:
YouTube is basically making people buy youtube TV at this point. Who would want to pay $449 for Sunday Ticket as a standalone? Might as well cut the cable and get YouTube TV...

YouTube is basically making people buy youtube TV at this point. Who would want to pay $449 for Sunday Ticket as a standalone? Might as well cut the cable and get YouTube TV...
Well, yes, that's one reason why YouTube paid so much for Sunday Ticket, they will pull business away from cable and/or other streaming vendors. They can and will offer bundles that become much more valuable once ST is a part of that bundle.

In my case, it doesn't work that way. I've already done the free trial periods with the various streaming vendors and overall did not find it compelling to pay for any of them long term. There just isn't enough stuff I want to watch on commercial TV these days to pay for it. The "price break" you get from bundling still doesn't change the fact that the commercial TV part just isn't worth paying for.

There have been times I've been bored so I bought a streaming service for a month then dropped it. For instance, during NBA finals seasons when not many games were not on OTA till the finals but a lot were streamed. In those cases I binge-watch NBA and whatever few shows I like from commercial TV and in a month I'm done with it.

Having tried them all, I think YouTube TV is a pretty good service, yet overall, not worth my money.

They will lower their prices very soon after nobody signs up.

Get a box. I dont pay for any fights. See every out of market game no matter the sport. Movies that aren't out. It's clutch for everything and obviously a big save

More info from u2b itself:

They are positioning the 'standalone' Sunday Ticket as a part of their 'Primetime Channels' offering, which in essence is a way for u2b to sell access to various channels on an individual basis. If this is a part of 'unbundling', it's a welcome step, but of course some vendors are going to continue to feel they make more money by bundling so they won't participate. I took a peek there and the only thing I found of interest is NBA League Pass, and that's only of marginal interest to me, but hey, if you want the perpetual 'Law & Order' channel, they've got that covered.

They also didn't say if their DVR feature requires you to sit through commercials or not. A lot of the streaming service DVRs do that, and it pisses me off royally. One of the main benefits of a DVR to me at least is skipping through commercials. It's the reason I've been a TiVo customer since the 90s.

Also Two (or four) is better than one: Building multiview on YouTube TV has some info on u2b 'multiview', which is four streams at once, but they get to pick the four streams. They say they do it this way because most of the devices out there don't have the horsepower to merge the streams themselves so they have to do it upstream on their servers. As for the future of multiview:
We’re introducing multiview gradually and collecting feedback from subscribers along the way. These insights will help inform the experience as we get closer to the NFL football season kicking off this fall. Over time, we’ll refine and add more functionality to multiview, including the option to customize your own multiview streams. And, as you might have already guessed, we’re looking to bring this multiview experience to the main YouTube app across TVs later this year.

Get a box. I dont pay for any fights. See every out of market game no matter the sport. Movies that aren't out. It's clutch for everything and obviously a big save
Some of us aren't comfortable with stealing content. To each their own...

Some of us aren't comfortable with stealing content. To each their own...
We tried it for a month or two back in the day, had some website thing where we were streaming first run movies and, specifically, Game of Thrones. Quality was sketchy, some lower than 480p, some in foreign language with subtitles. Eventually, I broke down and bought HBO when the next season of GoT came out, when ever that was. Then cancelled it once we watched all the episodes. Not that this little tid bit adds to the discussion but...

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

VPN and get DAZN Canada, ~$15/month IIRC and includes multiple sports, not just football. Cancel anytime.

Hm... I'm already a YouTube TV member, so $289 to get it all with Redzone isn't too bad... I don't live in the New England market so most of the non-primetime Pats games (and there aren't many primetime games anymore) are not aired for me. I'm currently paying $100 a year for Gamepass International plus $10ish a month for a VPN for a few months, so that's around $150 or so a season but it has some hoops to jump through and Gamepass International always ****s the bed at least once a season for the entire Sunday block. So about $100 more for "the real deal" isn't horrific...
I'm also a You Tube TV member and I'll definitely be a player for $249 this year. I'm out of market as well and figure that on the low side I'll need it for at least 10 games assuming that 7 games hit the national broadcast? This works out to be about the cost of parking at Gillette for 10 Games if I still had season tickets. LOL

I'm not above "borrowing" the signal from somewhere and have been there done that with some of the grief that goes along with it like losing the signal, buffering, or a break down mid game. Screw that.

I bought the NBA package through YTTV so I could watch the Celtics out of market games and one of the things I liked about it is that once I added the Celtics to my "Library", YTTV recorded every game and put them in the cloud so I could watch it live or at anytime I wanted to.

Lastly, even with the latest increase to $73.00 per month for the base TV Package which is a great package on its own and when either the $249 or the $349 (if the discount is only good for the first year is added to it, my total annual cost including Sunday Ticket is still cheaper than the Expanded Basic I had with Spectrum Cable.

or pay $349 early

they should just pay per team ur still makin money

For me, it really hasn't been about Brady, it's just been about poor football, especially on offense. The Cam / Covid era was totally forgettable. Passes did just hit the ground for no reason anyone could explain. The MP as OC era was totally forgettable, enough said. On top of these "highlights" the things that we used to like about the Patriots, like playing good solid football with few penalties, seem to no longer be a given. There just hasn't been a lot to like about the last few seasons, therefore I watch less.

In the current era, if we're playing a night game, it's pretty easy to say to myself I don't really need to watch this, it'll be on the DVR tomorrow if I want to watch it. Then, the next day, chances are good I've already heard all about the game and seen most of the highlights so I skip watching it or maybe watch some of the action but not the whole game.

I think last year was more frustrating for me than the Cam Newton year, I can't remember a time this team had so many penalties

the number of drive killing penalties was so, so frustrating to watch

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back