PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your objective take on the Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather forcast for sunday is going to be bitter cold. I believe that this will affect our passing game as well. More drops, Brady throwing some poor passes, etc. But with out a doubt, Sand Diego will be in an environment they for the most part, are not familiar with. When the Chargers come out of thier locker room after halftime, I think thats when it will really sink in at how cold it is, and whether they are in the lead or not, all you can think about is getting warm. I'm sure BB will try to keep the SD offense on the sidelines for long periods to keep those guys from getting to warmed up.

The weather forcast for sunday is going to be bitter cold. I believe that this will affect our passing game as well. More drops, Brady throwing some poor passes, etc. But with out a doubt, Sand Diego will be in an environment they for the most part, are not familiar with. When the Chargers come out of thier locker room after halftime, I think thats when it will really sink in at how cold it is, and whether they are in the lead or not, all you can think about is getting warm. I'm sure BB will try to keep the SD offense on the sidelines for long periods to keep those guys from getting to warmed up.

current forecast on weather.com says high of 22, winds at 22mph. wouldn't the high winds affect passing more than cold?

I think they are insanely tallented. I think their defense is the best in the league. I think their linebackers are fast, explosive, powerful all around great players. I think Cromartie is what I thought he was gonna be two years ago coming out of FSU. I think Eric Weddle deserved consideration for defensive ROY. Their defense is predicated upon negative plays and turnovers. They can be gashed.

I think their offense is very tallented. I think their line is overrated. I think Philip Rivers is a punk and that he sucks as a quarterback. There's about 30 other qb's I would take over him. Tomlinson is Tomlinson, Michael Turner is a good back, I've been a fan of Darren Sproles since Kansas State when he was there with El Roberson. I think Gates is a big reciever who plays tight end. I think Manumaleuna (or however the **** you spell it) is a good blocker. I think your recievers are big, fast guys who leverage size mismatches to get open.

I think the Chargers have no mental toughness, and are immature. If they knew how to win games and kept their mouths shut, I would probably give them more credit. Coaching wise, they don't come close to matching up. I think the Chargers are too emotional and can't sustain a high level of play late in the game. I think they self-destruct. I think they are a highly tallented team that just doesn't have enough leadership to win big games.

Thanks for the objective comments. Yes this team is filled with a lot young talent (see pro bowl roster for past couple of years). I agree that the team needs some veteran leadership, but the team doesn't have mental toughness? If last weeks Indy game doesn't show heart and mental toughness, then nothing will satisfy you. :rolleyes:

if you make your noise based on winning 1 game, it won't get you far. It's not like you are the only one who defeated Colts.

be real...... mental toughness> will see.

Last edited:
Good post. Glad to read some intelligent Bolt comments. I really like Turner & Sproules. If your second string QB has to play, he has to do more than just keep from making mistakes, as he did very well in Dallas. I hope you're at full strength. As always, the game should be won in the trenches and with turnovers. Don't get behind early, or you'll have a mammoth job coming back in these conditions, and against our D, which plays best in crunch time. You'll need a near perfect game. Could happen, but I wouldn't bet the farm. Here's to a great game. The better team will win, with no excuses.

Objectively speaking....
They suck and I hate them.

Betcha can't wait for the emotional, subjective stuff.

Thanks for the objective comments. Yes this team is filled with a lot young talent (see pro bowl roster for past couple of years). I agree that the team needs some veteran leadership, but the team doesn't have mental toughness? If last weeks Indy game doesn't show heart and mental toughness, then nothing will satisfy you. :rolleyes:

I don't know, I think I saw what many of the others did. They looked a bit sloppy and prone to mistakes using their talent and athletisism to make up for it. They had many penalties, and while I agree that some were bogus, many showed that lack of focus. I remember one series where Rivers almost had (and probably should have had) back to back delay of game penalties. The worst part was the defender was offsides at the time but nobody on the line jumped in order to catch them. Then there was near the whole scene near the end of the game with LT and Rivers laughing and smiling while the team was losing. Rivers even bothering to acknowledge fans. Very strange.

Last edited:
He told how great all NFL teams were before he kicks their arsss. If you don't believe me, look at what he said about Dolphin and Jets team a few days before the game started and these teams are the worst NFL teams.

It's truly amazing and the guy is awesome.!

Dolphins and Jets he spoke in broad generalities about their potential, not specifics about their actual results. He respects all teams, but he was his most genuine here since the Colts pre-game.

Here's my post from the chargers message board. It sums up MY opinion on how the chargers should treat the NE offense
So far no one has been able to do it, what makes us think we can? I mean, they're the almighty Patriots. They have the rings, they have the talent, and they're just going to steam role us on their way to an undefeated season to secure their place as the greatest team of all time, right? Wrong. We're going in with emotion and I'm SURE we're going to play the best game of the season on Sunday. Now, even if we play the best game of the season it doesn't assure us a victory, we need to play outside of our abilities on Sunday and try to make history of our own.

Now, how do we stop Tom Brady?
Answer: The most important thing to stop Tom Brady is to stop the RB's and slot man from dinking and dunking us to death. Kevin Faulk has rarely, if ever, started a game for the Pats so why does he remain on this team? His release ability and hands are some of the best in the league. We need to create pressure and jam him in the backfield. Don't let their RB's release and Brady will lose his dumpoff option.

Next. Treat Welker as a LT out of the backfield. Spy him, spy him, spy him. Did I say spy him? Also, spy him. Maybe keep 2 players in for spying and deep responsibility. He sits down in a gap better than anyone in this league. He's just essential for the Patriot offense. If he gets 10 catches, then half of those are probably going to be 3rd down conversions. He's probably the reason why Tom Brady is who he is this year. Who do we have to spy him Dojo? one word: Weddle. They just match up physically so similar. Plus, he's young enough and ****y enough to not be hesitant and maybe he could create a big turnover. Mix in Florence and keep them fresh also.

Third. Cro on Moss ALL DAY!!! Jammer has done well against Moss but Jammer could lock down another receiver and possibly make Brady force something to Moss and if we could get halfway decent pressure on Brady then he might confuse a coverage and we could have a safety come over the top and create some huge turnovers.

Fourth. Don't be afraid to apply pressure. Disguise it and throw in some delayed blitzes and Brady should get rattled just enough to not do what he did to the Jaguars. If he sits back there all day then we lose. The thing that seperates us from the Jags' defense is that they have 4 on the line and it was very predictable to know where they were rushing from because they didn't blitze all game. We have 4 linebackers and we could blitze any one of those LB's and have the same amount of men in coverage the Jags had. If we could disguise the blitzes then Brady won't be able to creatively make his line changes and someone is bound to miss an assignment and it could lead to a huge sack and possibly a turnover.

Last. Don't let Moroney effect our pass defense. If we could shut Moroney down early then the Pats will ONLY go back to him IF they have the lead. They just don't trust him in a tight game. Do what we do and Moroney SHOULD be a non factor. If he is a factor though then we're in for a long night.

We just can't treat the Pats like they have anything other than a offense back there. Lets play defense and each and every one of our defenders have to play their hearts out and follow the specific role that the coach lays out in front of them. If the defense gets too cute then defenders will get confused and create holes for Moss, Welker and Stallworth to sit down in and get crutual first downs. Plus, Brady goes through his progressions so fast and he could hit the open man the split second he gets open.

I dread any time the Pats have to face LT, Gates, Merriman, Phillips and now the emergance of Cromartie. Even Rivers and Vincent Jackson are playing well. The Chargers should never be overlooked. The Chargers are a good team and deserve to be in the AFCCG. Should be a great game.

ow, this is a great thread with some very insightful and well thought out posts. When i get a chance before the game, I'll make sure to post a little more of my own thoughts on the game.

Nice to be in position to be talking to you folks again this season...

The Chargers have played very well defensively down the stretch, despite the bad opponents. However I have not been impressed with their defense at all in the playoffs. They have allowed long drives to both opponents, one of which being a God-awful team offensively even before missing a couple receivers and the other not scoring on 4 long drives due to their own mistakes. I would like to say that the Chargers forced Indy's mistakes, but other than the last red zone stop, I didn't see much defense at all.

Harrison fumbled on the most benign of hits.

Manning overthrew Wayne on what would have been a big gain. No defender was near Wayne.

Keith completely missed what would have been an easy TD as all the nearby defenders were blocked out of the play.

SD deserves credit for some athletic recoveries, but they did little to cause the turnovers themselves. Sure if Brady misfires a few times or if NE receivers bat up a couple muffs then I will be worried. Barring that, I don't see NE turning the ball over.

For all the pub about SD's pass rush, it looked decidely mediocre to me against Indy. IMHO SD was better at rushing the passer last year and NE did a nice job of minimizing them with worse personell than they have now. NE's TEs are better blockers, the RBs are playing better, the WRs are way, way better and while the players are the same, the OL is playing better. I will be shocked if SD has more than 2 sacks and a hit or two on Tom.

I will break things down more later, but I am not worried about SD's defense at all. Their offense worries me because they are very good and I still think that NE's defense can be had. I don't think Rivers can go an entire game without a blunder or two, which is why I think that NE wins even if the game is close.

The Chargers have played very well defensively down the stretch, despite the bad opponents. However I have not been impressed with their defense at all in the playoffs. They have allowed long drives to both opponents, one of which being a God-awful team offensively even before missing a couple receivers and the other not scoring on 4 long drives due to their own mistakes. I would like to say that the Chargers forced Indy's mistakes, but other than the last red zone stop, I didn't see much defense at all.

Harrison fumbled on the most benign of hits.

Manning overthrew Wayne on what would have been a big gain. No defender was near Wayne.

Keith completely missed what would have been an easy TD as all the nearby defenders were blocked out of the play.

SD deserves credit for some athletic recoveries, but they did little to cause the turnovers themselves. Sure if Brady misfires a few times or if NE receivers bat up a couple muffs then I will be worried. Barring that, I don't see NE turning the ball over.

For all the pub about SD's pass rush, it looked decidely mediocre to me against Indy. IMHO SD was better at rushing the passer last year and NE did a nice job of minimizing them with worse personell than they have now. NE's TEs are better blockers, the RBs are playing better, the WRs are way, way better and while the players are the same, the OL is playing better. I will be shocked if SD has more than 2 sacks and a hit or two on Tom.

I will break things down more later, but I am not worried about SD's defense at all. Their offense worries me because they are very good and I still think that NE's defense can be had. I don't think Rivers can go an entire game without a blunder or two, which is why I think that NE wins even if the game is close.
TB can and will eventually make mistakes. He's not immune, nobody is. He's been excellent thus far this season but every good run comes to an end.

Hi guys. Congrats on your 16-0 regular season—none of us fans will ever know just how difficult that was to pull off. The players, the coaches, the front office—a true team effort.

As you all know, this week is about trolling. And I don't like it—hence this thread. Please leave your trash talking at the door. I know I'm not a Patriot fan so I probably don't deserve the request but I still had to ask.

I love talking football. And your team has perfected the game. So I'm curious as to what you think of my team. We are still young and developing but I like to think we are going to be around for the next few postseasons. What are your thoughts?

I know you don't like many of our players and I'm not interested in that. If you want to talk some football with your opponents let's do it here!

My take: Talent out the kazoo. Immaturity that counters that talent drastically. We respect any team that is good enough to make it to the AFC Championship team. I'm happy we have a tested championship caliber team. I'm happy we have Brady. I'm happy we have Moss. I'm happy Maroney is well rested and playing his best football of the season. I'm happy the game is in New England. I'm happy it's going to be brutally cold. I'm happy our team is so healthy. I respect SD. I love our chances.

TB can and will eventually make mistakes. He's not immune, nobody is. He's been excellent thus far this season but every good run comes to an end.

You may be right, but I think that Rivers/Volek are about 50X more likely to make a major mistake than Brady.

If Tommy proes to be NE's undoing, so be it. I will be hard to deal with, but at least they went out doing what they do best.

I think it is a tough, hard fought game and SD deserves to be in the game.

After starting 1-3, they regrouped and have gone 12-2 since. I think they keep it close, but NE always comes up with the big plays at the end.

Hopefully he saves that for something really clutch, like oh say, the pro bowl :D

I'll be totally honest, if you think I'm only out to bash your team, I apologize. I'll just tell you what I honestly see.

I like Cromartie and think he will be a stud. I think you have a good defense, Merriman and Phillips can be lethal. I think Rivers is okay, not bad, not great. LdT is who he is, nothing new to point out.

However, with all the talent on your team I don't know how long of a "big playoff threat" they will be. There are some serious ego and immaturity problems on that team. It does not strike me at all as a "team", but a bunch of individuals. I know Charger fans don't see this, I'm giving you an honest opinion. If, however, they do ever grow up I think they could be lethal.

Where are the ego problems. I understand your forcefed the east coast media. But lets say Rivers plays in new york. Words like fiery and Courageous are used instead. Oh and merriman phillips castillo all lived together as roommates and they just happen to do well alot. They are family and showout together, one feels like he has to outdo the other. To the outiside media guys and east coast fans its oh these guys are individual big headed players. When in fact they are brothers having fun. Which is why the Chargers are able to play well.

The Chargers have 46 players signed through 2010. This is why we traded up for Eric Weddle when many say we reached. We really don't have a whole lot of spots open on our team. The ENTIRE core of this team is signed and most have been together for a while to endure 3 division championships and 5 playoff games. Many are drafted into the chargers family and no nothing else. Players like Qention Jammer Clinton Hart Cromartie L.T. Gates Rivers JAckson have only known the chargers as a team. AJ Smith is an Exec of the year and made sure he only brought in Good Guys. Our entire starting defense minus mccree was drafted by us. We are a TEAM and playoff tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back